New construction: She:Kon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why don't you just use PayPal?
Tried that too. No go. The only thing they would accept was the direct bank transfer. Oh well, done now. Onto other things.

My shop helper and I worked on my 'lean-to' so I could get all the offcuts and panels out of the shed. We're going to need all the room we can get in the shed for the flip.

spacer.gif
img_248730_1_b17bba857a487ff2b073b187d2963e64.jpg

spacer.gif
img_248730_3_e3038bab6742ba5360feed4ff24b91b1.jpg

Date for the flip is the 30th. of this month. It's all I can think about now! :ermm: Still got a load of work to do.

Standby....

Started to seal up the fairing compound. When I went to the shed this morning I had no idea what I was actually gonna do so this is what happened. The first coat of tinted epoxy going on the sides & transom.

img_249378_0_b2814f640c3884e6ac321139b6240db5.jpg

Web log updated: M/V She:Kon: Starting to seal 'er up!

Today I went over the area I coated with epoxy yesterday. I first took the shiny stuff off with the RO then hit it with the Flexicats. Both 80 grit.

img_249653_0_616ddd0ee8c864a302096d11f9339e10.jpg

You can see the big shiny spot running down the hull. That's a low area. You can't see it and you couldn't feel it. I'm glad I did it this way. I now know more of what I'm up against. Overall I'm very happy with the way it's turning out. I may actually get a decent looking hull after all (if I don't screw it up). :rolleyes:

Web log updated: M/V She:Kon: It's all part of the learning curve

Managed to get some epoxy on the bulwarks yesterday morning before the heavens opened up. The shed roof leaks so I was getting pee'd on. The storm blew over and I got back out in the afternoon to get the port side & transom coated. This morning I got all the way around the boat with another coat.

spacer.gif
img_250301_1_d9183c8ea7609fd83a8214a8b2cf95e0.jpg

Web log updated: M/V She:Kon: Monsoons and Epoxy

I got an early start, 07:00 this morning. I knew I was in for a long day.

spacer.gif
img_250552_1_8b7aaa4f03f6a6ea1371d0bd9ebec1a0.jpg

The plan was to get one complete coat on the keel & bottom panels before it got too hot. I didn't make it. By noon I was wasted. Only made it about 2/3's of the way around.

spacer.gif
img_250552_3_adfe048c5133ed892643cd1fe2518103.jpg

Took me almost 2 hours just to wipe the keel & bottom down before I started. This is one freakin' big boat! :ermm:

Web log updated: M/V She:Kon: Got an early start

Toughen up princess! ... If building a plywood boat was easy then everyone would be doing it :) ... (I can say that cause I'm in the same boat... Excuse the pun)

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Last edited:
Toughen up princess! ...
Same answer I give the wife: Yes dear! :lol:

Not doing too bad for a retired simple servant who spent 20 yrs sittin' on his arse in front of a computer. :rolleyes:

So technically the hull is now waterproof! :lol:

That bald spot on the stbd side got coated this morning and I worked my way around the bottom panels so they got their second coat. I'll go out this evening when it's a little cooler and hit the stbd side bottom again and try to get a second coat on the keel from the step ladder with an extension handle.

spacer.gif
img_250762_1_b848839ad8a6681c254e0ff855e13c0e.jpg

Been a tough slog without my shop helper. Nobody said this was gonna be easy. Just an overwhelming amount of real estate that's gotta be covered. I have to say I am more than pleased with the way it's turning out. :thumb:

have to say I am more than pleased with the way it's turning out. :thumb:

And so you should be! Looking pretty darn good!

Thanks for looking in Dimer. Appreciate the positive feedback. Helps with keeping the enthusiasm up! :)

Sanding off the shiny stuff. Didn't make a sanding movie. I know you're all disappointed!
icon_lol.gif

spacer.gif
img_250992_2_d915e4f70572be5b78e6739b0bbfa159.jpg

Filling in a few low spots.

spacer.gif
img_250992_4_6b69686b433a13f2c58086d4a114cbaa.jpg

Goin' for a boat ride! They yacht is rigged & ready. I'm worried the Jeep won't be able to pull it! :lol:

spacer.gif
img_250992_6_3f2be879aedc1e29f06809383d65e148.jpg

Boats looking great.I see a turning over party by winter.

Oh look! I got that part sanded! ;)
spacer.gif
img_251454_1_7e91ac6995b19bc218bcba0c9c541d81.jpg

Oh sh*t! I still gotta do that part! :ermm:
spacer.gif
img_251454_3_4fac469a809cfed5c7adbfb1de338eab.jpg

Sanding is one of the most exciting parts of the process, gives you plenty of time to think ;)

Sanding does provide too much time to think. Waaaaaaaay tooooooooo much time to think! :facepalm: The more I think the less I know what I'm doing! :banghead:

Warmest & most humid day of the summer so far. It was 80 F and wicked humid this morning when I got to the shed. So humid the sanded epoxy wouldn't even turn to dust. It just balled up and stuck to the sand paper!

Kept at it though! I have a big pedestal fan that I keep blowing up my butt to keep me cool! :thumb: Started working my way down the port side from the bow to stern. Tough slogging though.

img_251719_0_5aae6c9aa0386c7090cf8e254069e38f.jpg

I should get one side done today and maybe get the chine sanded neatly too. I have to do that by hand so I don't sand it all off.

Web log updated: M/V She:Kon: Around and around we go!

Standby........

6 hrs sanding yesterday + 5 hrs sanding today = Well Deserved Cold Beer! :thumb:

I had a lotta time to think. :ermm:

Awwww yeah.Things will really start feeling better,once she's gotta a painted bottom and rolled over.Hang in there Rick.You're doing some good work.

Awwww yeah.Things will really start feeling better,once she's gotta a painted bottom and rolled over.Hang in there Rick.You're doing some good work.
Just a lil' taste of what you've got coming when you start your boat Ben! ;)

Now get to it! :whistling:

Just a lil' taste of what you've got coming when you start your boat Ben! ;)

Now get to it! :whistling:

Oh yeah.I got a lot of sanding ahead of me.My boat is a couple feet narrower in the beam than yours,8'6".

We have some debt that will be paid off next year,and I have a home I been remodeling.Then the Admiral said I could have at, and she may pop in at the boat shed.

We have some debt that will be paid off next year,and I have a home I been remodeling.Then the Admiral said I could have at, and she may pop in at the boat shed.

Put her to work on the boat! I put mine to work helping out!

img_252767_0_34c8a834b9a7416295f6e477992f4eca.jpg

What's the old saying? 'Gas, grass or ass, nobody rides for free', well I changed that up a bit, 'Diesel, Dinner or Manual labor (like doing the dishes), nobody rides for free!' :whistling:

Put her to work on the boat! I put mine to work helping out!

What's the old saying? 'Gas, grass or ass, nobody rides for free', well I changed that up a bit, 'Diesel, Dinner or Manual labor (like doing the dishes), nobody rides for free!' :whistling:

I could probably get some work out of her.She helps me with auto and household repairs.

LOL! I failed miserably using the Gas,grass,or ass bit.I do like like the Diesel,dinner,or manual labor better.That may actually work. :thumb:

Sorta hit a milestone today. Keel & bottom panels sanded. The RO sander came off the top of the boat never ever to go back up again! :thumb:

I've got maybe another day sanding on the sides & bulwarks & corners and then she'll get cleaned up for primer. I do have a couple of low spots on the sides that might need 'nuther coat of epoxy. I think they're too deep for primer to hide. We'll see tomorrow when the sanding is done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom