Locked posts???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bayview

Guru
Why are threads locked in the trawler forums? If I make a mistake or want to change something I am locked out of my own post??

Why are threads locked in the trawler forums? If I make a mistake or want to change something I am locked out of my own post??

The threads are not locked. But you only have a certain amount of time after making a post to edit the post, after which you will need help in editing it. Usually better to just do another post, but if you really, really want to edit the original post then just contact any mod and we will be happy to oblige you.

I cant imagine why that is considered a good feature.

Because after you post something, people may read it, possibly respond to it, may mention it to other people, etc., etc. And if you can then go back in and change it then you may confuse them. And one thing we never, never, ever want to do on this forum is to confuse people! :)

Click the report post icon in the lower left corner of the post you wish to edit. In the message window type what you wish to edit. It'll magically happen all by itself in an hour or two.

Ahhh the miracle of modern electronics. It's amazing how things magically appear and disappear.

Thanks Janice!

When you carry on a conversation in person, you don't have the opportunity to go back in time and change what you said 5 minutes ago. You retract it or correct it or apologize for it or add something to it in the present time. So think what you're writing the first time, preview it if that helps or read it immediately while still time to edit. Then if later you don't like it, post again to say so. If it's something you were wrong on then accept getting beaten up a bit and correct as the thread or conversation continues.

Yes, there is a "Preview" function, but you must push the "Go Advanced" button to use it.

Is there a preview function to see how it will actually appear??

Yes, there is a "Preview" function, but you must push the "Go Advanced" button to use it.

Correct.

Also be advised there is no "Preview Post" function available if accessing the forum through the App on your handheld device. I do not believe(though have not verified) you can edit a post made with the App either, even in the time window allowed.

I have edited submissions on my iPhone. But, as soon as someone submits another post after mine it is forever locked. Even if they submit a couple seconds after I submit mine.

Like just now, I added this sentence. So they are editable on apps.

My recommendation (for in-depth posts):

Type it in email page first. Copy and paste into TF. Gives time to read and make sure you said what you mean. With grammar, spelling, and punctuation you may desire.

Short posts, such as this... NO Prob! :thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom