Sold our boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bikeandboat

Vessel Name
Missing Link
Vessel Make
1986 Albin 34 Family Cruiser
It is done, sold, gone. The Mainship was the favorite of the boats I have owned, but it is now in the past. So, at some time in the future I will get back into a trawler, but I am really considering a trailerable trawler. We are not actually looking yet, as we would like to have an actual savings account for a little while. As everyone knows, it is not possible to have both a boat and a savings account. I am sure we will be searching for the next boat very soon.

Yep, that saying about the two happiest days in a boater's life isn't always true. We have a very common boat, nothing glamorous, but after all the time, money, and memories spent on it, I'd have mixed feelings letting it go.

I'll have to remember that line, can't have a boat and a savings account at the same time. Good one.

Yep, that saying about the two happiest days in a boater's life isn't always true.

I HATE that saying!! It was obviously said by someone that has never owned a boat or poured their heart into the upkeep of one.

Anyway, I feel your pain. We are "between boats" right now, and it's been much harder to go without than I ever imagined. We will probably get another one eventually, but right now, we have some other stuff to catch up on. We are looking at faster boats for the next one. We just aren't at a point in our lives yet where we can take the time to be trawlerererers. We still have those stupid "jobs" thing we have to do. DAMMIT! :D

Congratulations on the sale and good luck on your search. It IS possible to have a savings and a boat. The secret is succinctly stated in my signature: go small and simple. My wife and I work, have a home, two cars, take vacations, etc. We are professionals but are not swimming in superfluous funds. We do, however, save for our retirement. When it comes to Sherpa, she fits our situation and wants; I make no apologies for owning a pocket trawler!

What is this talk of savings accounts? Is that some form of derivitive?

Like Vashon Trawler, we also have a small trawler that does not eat into our bank account. The Honda 45 outboard is 23 years old and has very trouble free over the years. Fortunately for us, we can keep it behind our house on a lift but it is trailerable.
Our Nimble has everything we need but it is small so you need to plan your trips with that in mind.

We are tickled to death with our boat, we may not have the trailer yet but soon will. Travel options and cruising opportunities are only limited by your imagination in the sub 30' range. Not only that but they're practically free when compared to maintaining a larger boat IMO.

You can enjoy both the boat and savings account, balance in both is a good thing.

I also feel your pain . I just found a good price on a dinghy that we wanted. But the generator just when out and I got a busted tooth in the same breath . The tooth won from the savings . The gennny will be next and the dinghy will just fade away . Hang in there and you will get your next boat and it will probably not be your last :thumb:

Congrats on the sale! Sorry to hear you are boat less. Even temporally...

IMHO: Best days on a boat = Everyday on a boat!

Can be a joy to buy, a job to maintain, and tear to sell... but, owning it creates sheer companionship. They each do have a soul... don't cha kno!

Economical boats are good condition when purchased, well built from the factory, well maintained while owning, and just big enough to suite our needs.

Many boats on TF fit that description to a "T"

We've got one!

I been looking at the ranger 31, interesting trailerable tug but not cheap.

Check out the C-Brats. Ex trawlermeister Bob Austin (thataway) hangs out there, where the common advice is to have the smallest boat that meets your needs.

These folks have no problem with their 29. The 31 is the same beam, 10ft and just a few ft longer. Both need a triple axel trailer.

http://http://www.andiamo-ranger29.com

Yes it's trailerable. Just not a simple process from loading and unloading, bridge clearances, tow vehicle, and necessary permits in various states. The ranger 31 is a pretty substantial boat . I would not want to tow it too far with my f350 diesel.

Last edited:
Check out the C-Brats. Ex trawlermeister Bob Austin (thataway) hangs out there, where the common advice is to have the smallest boat that meets your needs.

I'm a real fan of the C-Dory's..
Im also a fan of the Rangers as well, but if I wanted one that is trailerable, I don't think I'd go so big.

Last edited:
Yes it's trailerable. Just not a simple process from loading and unloading, bridge clearances, tow vehicle, and necessary permits in various states. The ranger 31 is a pretty substantial boat . I would not want to tow it too far with my f350 diesel.

I agree but the ability to tow such a big boat away from the harbor takes care of a lot of issues. I would not mind towing it with my F350 4X4 but I would want a dually.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom