1988 Albin interior teak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, sorry for the questions but it is a fascinating project. I have a good friend with similar issues on his MT that may follow your lead. Are you just doing the outside walls? I'm wondering what your plans are where the walls come up against the built in furniture and interior walls. Will you also bead board the furniture surfaces or strip & stain to match the beadboard colour? Lastly, presumably the bead board is fastened with screws & therefore does not require a perfect substrate, could you not have just gone over top of the old veneer & avoided the need to strip it off?

I'm trimming it around everything...but have no real furniture. the large flat surfaces ,not on an exterior wall with no rot but some veneer issues ...hmmmm, I'm not sure what I'm doing with them...probably smooth and paintable wallpaper as suggested before as beadboard would stick out too much and I don't need to build back structure.

The beadboard is going up with liquid nails and pressed, held in place with various means..no screws or nails...(did buy tiny brads but found I didn't need them.

Because of no mechanical fasteners...I took it down to something solid to glue to...even if it meant going all the way to the glass...fortunately I found 99% of the ply sound. The top veneer...which was 4 very thin layers...literally was just falling off...an airgun could have shredded it off the walls.

Last edited:
I personally thank you for posting what you have found. I was in a similar position to yours 6 months ago and purchased a 1985 taiwanese built boat and had the typical survey, haul out, etc done. I now have a legal liveaboard slip in Marina del Rey and could not be happier.
One of the few issues I saw prior to the survey were a few leaking windows from prior neglect and the same damage was seen in a few corners of the interior panelling. I was not too concerned then, but having read these posts, I am very happy to hear it is not that big a deal.
I like the idea of the walls you have, although I may elect to paint the walls white and retain the teak window trim and built in cabinentry, as I love the look. The teak walls were maybe too dark for my taste, especially with a large salon.
I love my boat and do not in any way believe it to be a POS. Heck, I have heard of and seen much newer boats with leaking windows.
Thank you for the posts and if you can, keep the information coming!

PS. Panels are usually not fitted tight at the edges to allow for expansion. Hopefully you are doing the same with beadboard.

PS. Panels are usually not fitted tight at the edges to allow for expansion. Hopefully you are doing the same with beadboard.

Not true...if it were "a ply core" it would be solid too....

The filler allows for no room to expand or contract...I understand what you are saying...and in house building it may be a big issue...but most boats now are just cored and there's no gaps left on boats I'm familiar with.

Plus in some areas its filler, in others the ply comes together.

Today's lesson on Taiwan boats is there is little exact symmetry.

The port side rear panel area is about an inch shorter than the starboard side....

Attachments

• IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0133.jpg
    IMG_0133.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 96

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom