Floscan Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobH

Guru
Vessel Name
Encore
Vessel Make
Whitby 42
Installed Floscan system on two SP225 FLs. The port engine always shows slightly more fuel consumption. Did the diagnostic test and at idle the port engine flows 2.1 forward and 1.7 gph back to tank. Seems reasonable. the starboard shows 17.4 forward and 17.0 back to tank. While the delta, fuel used is 0.4 in both cases, the starboard flow seems excessive. Floscan tech support tells me to just ignore it since the delta is correct.

Still, doesn't seem right. Anyone seen this before?

Bob

Your units won't be accurate until calibrated. To do that, you need to run several tanks of fuel through, compare your indicated usage with the actual, and adjust accordingly. I got my flowscans (on a twin gas engine boat, which is inherently more accurate since there is no fuel return) to 99% accurate, but they needed different adjustments.

I'm too lazy to recalibrate. I merely multiply the Coot's readings by 65%. Mental-math helps keep the mind sharp. :thumb:

At this point I'm not concerned with accuracy. I'm concerned that the absolute flow rates on the starboard engine are way out of line. I swapped the gauges and the starboard readings remained as before, much too high.

I did swap the two gauges and the starboard readings remained the same, both forward and back flows way too high.

Floscan tech insists that Racor filter gaskets need to coated in grease to prevent air leaks. I always just coat them with oil. I'll try the grease next time I'm on the boat but can't imagine an air leak would cause that kind of reading.

Bob

The older units had DIP switches on the back of the meter to calibrate. Check the settings match the other gauge. The Port side looks like its reading correctly.
*Just read your post on the gauge swap. Never mind!* Check the sender model numbers match.
You can disconnect the fuel return line going into the fuel tank and run it into a clean jug to prove the flow is the same or different between engines. Never know, it might be real.

Last edited:
>>>You can disconnect the fuel return line going into the fuel tank and run it into a clean jug to prove the flow is the same or different between engines. Never know, it might be real.<<<

Good point, I'll give that a shot next time I'm down there.

Bob

Are these gauges that finicky and or inaccurate out of the box, I am wanting them on my twin gas cruiser literally right now but don't want to think they will be worthless without several tanks of fuel and calibration first ?? I thought the flow sensors done all the measuring and if they are calibrated from the factory I should not even have to think about it ?? If they are not then their product has no value to me any time soon if I cannot trust it.

The happiest Floscan users are those with single engines. The next happiest group of users are those with mid to high range gph per the Floscan charts.

These two points aside, at what RPM is your 0.4 gph reached? Sounds like an idle reading.

Also, disconnect your return lines and measure gph into a clean and marked container.

At this point I'm not concerned with accuracy. I'm concerned that the absolute flow rates on the starboard engine are way out of line.
Bob

At least my flowscans were not even relatively accurate until I calibrated both. One was about 8% high, the other 6% low. So the differential reading was way off. Unless their technology has changed, the relative inaccuracy of two units may be significantly off. If so, you will have to calibrate to get a meaningful comparison.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom