Composite Dinghy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the issues with Duroboat were related to corrosion. I don't remember if I read it on TF or another forum but several failures in very short time from salt water corrosion.

Now, if you want a composite, although I'm not so sure it's very light. But heck, there are lots of the old RIBs around that the tubes are shot. If you're handy and have the time... We saw this one last year and moved along pretty well.

Attachments

• 1dfg.jpg
    1dfg.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 1dfga.jpg
    1dfga.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 003 (3)a.jpg
    003 (3)a.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 91
Light plywood construction will produce the lightest dinghy unless you pay lots of money for graphite, Kevlar ect. But I don't know of any exotic and ultra light dinghies. Minimal fir framing and 1/4" plywood .... absolute minimal expense and minimum weight. Aluminum is close though.

So it's plywood, aluminum or a heavier FG plastic boat. That orange boat in the pics looks a little overbuilt to me.

That's very clever

Now, if you want a composite, although I'm not so sure it's very light. But heck, there are lots of the old RIBs around that the tubes are shot. If you're handy and have the time... We saw this one last year and moved along pretty well.
Damn I gave away a rib with used up tanks and if I had been thinking I could have done this. It does look a little heavy and could have perhaps carried a little more flair forward but what the hell, it looks damn effective.

I have a Logic Marine 17' center console with a Merc 50 hp 2 stroke. They were rebranded Triumph in the early 2000s, very tough low maintenance boat.ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1405532707.187930.jpg

Here is a link to a video about how sturdy they are, they probably wouldn't take this amount of abuse on a weekly basis but one time maybe. They used to make one that looked like a RIB out of the same material, a friend had one with a 20 hp, nice little dingy.
http://youtu.be/OKqjr660neU

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom