The big Bend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great! Glad all was well. Assume you are in Apalachicola now. Nice town. Best way from there (in my opinion) is to take the ICW from Apalach over to Port St. Joe (have to turn down a side canal from the ICW to get to Port St. Joe) and then run outside over to Panama City. Lake Winoma between Apalach and Port St. Joe is shallow, but stay in the middle of the markers and it should OK. ICW from Port St. Joe to Panama City is a very ugly ditch, which is why I would go outside. Also lots of barge traffic and not much room to pass.

That sounds like a plan. We will re-provision today and leave in the morning

Jim, Glad you made it and all is well. If you get over our way on your way back come and anchor in Boggy Bayou accross from Destin. We also have a nice marina in the back of the Bayou called North Light. We can hook up with you and buy you guys a drink or dinghy up and bring a drink. Rog

Rogerh, sounds good. We have not laid out a plan from here but will let you know.

That is the second report that I have seen lately that the Cut may be shoaling. I think that since they completed the new bridge over to St. George Island, which has a 65' clearance, and which allows people to enter/exit the ICW using the deep water entrance between Dog Island and St. George Island, that they have been neglecting the Cut somewhat.

I called Tow Boat US for local knowledge and their response was "favor the green markers we had 3 groundings this weekend. They stopped dredging that area I guess they are going to let it shoal up until no one can use it". It's Carrabelle for me from now on

I believe you are right Jwnall!

We touched coming through there about a year ago. We did not know to favor the green side. No damage but it sure got our attention.

I called Tow Boat US for local knowledge and their response was "favor the green markers we had 3 groundings this weekend. They stopped dredging that area I guess they are going to let it shoal up until no one can use it". It's Carrabelle for me from now on

Thanks for the current info. TowBoat generally knows these things! :) I passed the info on to some other people. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom