Newbie on Lake Michigan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donsan

Guru
Vessel Name
No Mo Trawla
Vessel Make
Hurricane SS188
After much deliberating and agonizing, we finally decided a 38-40' sailboat would be too much for us to handle at this point in our lives. Today, we have completed the purchase of a 38' Fu Hwa Double Cabin with a single screw which was advertised to be an "Always Great Lakes" boat. We have previous commitments until mid August and the Michigan boating season is very short so we probably won't get much cruising in this year but hopefully, we can be live aboards for a good part of next summer with a near term goal of doing the loop.

The admiral has a lot of experience in sailing and my own experience is with a 23' stern drive some years ago. We have a lot to learn and already I have picked up quite a bit of knowledge reading posts on this forum. We greatly appreciate the sharing this forum provides and someday, I hope we too can contribute.

So, best wishes to all and keep up the great postings!

Welcome aboard. Where are you going to keep her?

Welcome, another Great Laker! Enjoy, boating and the forum!

Our summer condo at Manistee has a 40' slip. Over the winter, she will be in heated storage at Onekama Marine. After that is a big question mark. The boating season in northwest Michigan is very short. We are giving some thought to cruising the loop to Florida and keeping it at Fort Pierce where you can cruise almost all year round. But exposing a 30 year old Great Lakes boat to a salt water environment, is a hard sell. More than likely we will keep her in Michigan for a couple of more years. We have a lot of options!

Our summer condo at Manistee has a 40' slip.

We passed Manistee yesterday afternoon on the way south to Spring Lake where we will cross our wake and complete the Great Loop.

Welcome to the forum!

We are only in our second year in Michigan and at Manistee and I have to confess I had to do a Google map search to find Spring Lake. We drive right by it on Highway 31 on our way up north and never noticed the name but do recall Grand Haven.

I will check out your blog site as it should be helpful to us. Thanks for the link!

Welcome aboard and congrats! Post some pictures of this beaut:)

Ha ha. I just realized I mispelled "Newbie". Spelling checker, where are you?

We are in Florida....about 1500 miles from our new toy. I will post some pics when we get back up north in mid August. The fuzzy pics on Yachtworld did not do her justice. She doesn't look too bad on the outside and we got a fairly clean survey but the electronics are very dated. It's a good excuse for going to a NMEA 2000 network and replace the 1984 AP, the 2000 vintage Garmin GPS and who knows how old radar.

Ha ha. I just realized I mispelled "Newbie". Spelling checker, where are you?

From time to time these things are magically corrected, once it is made clear what you meant. :)

Greetings, welcome aboard, here you'll find a lot of friends

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa
Sent from my iPhone, using Trawler Forum

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom