Aftermarket Pilothouses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just saw this beauty on Craigslist. Not sure if this was done by a legit Marine Architect

Very nice example, Max. It's one of those vessels that you just can't appreciate until she's cruising through the swamp. However, there was no such pre-fab thinking on these fine carpenter-built beauties below.

Attachments

• ACK_junk.jpg
    ACK_junk.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 84
  • brused cruisers.jpg
    brused cruisers.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 86
Very nice example, Max. It's one of those vessels that you just can't appreciate until she's cruising through the swamp. However, there was no such pre-fab thinking on these fine carpenter-built beauties below.

Now that really thinking outside the... Never mind.

Extended pilothouse, to say the least.

Attachments

• 62 ft. houseboat.jpg
    62 ft. houseboat.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 88
Not if is factory installed. But the aftermarket ones do seem to sag and yellow with age.

West Marine sells them. Recommend getting one size up than listed for your model.

Oh, and don't be a noob be sure to deflate it or remove it altogether when at anchor.

Be careful you don't cross thread it when putting it back on.

ROFL HAHAHAHAHA ...

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I especially love the lacy curtains on the red one! Haha

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I had to bring this thread back for this GB 49 example, just down the coast from me. However compromising to the GB's lines, I have to say that this owner did a decent job in matching the style of the boat. The windows, window treatments, and interior are GB like and comfortable. Since it's a one-owner boat since new, the owner must have loved his boat and did the mods to match his usage. The ad says he also removed and replaced the teak decks with the faux teak stuff.

1986 Grand Banks Enclosed Pilothouse Motor Yacht Power Boat For Sale -

Attachments

• 4546148_20140113112025780_1_LARGE.jpg
    4546148_20140113112025780_1_LARGE.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 4546148_20140113112753338_1_LARGE.jpg
    4546148_20140113112753338_1_LARGE.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 70
There is no question he compromised the overall feel and look of the Grand Banks to some degree, but I think this is fully offset by the increased space, functionality and comfort the bridge provides. Given the price these days of Eisenglass & canvas enclosures I wouldn't be surprised if it cost less to make.

I can see that the pilothouse enclosure - along with the stabilizers that were installed at the same time - added some value to the boat, but I think a few details of the pilothouse could have been handled better. The aft bulkhead of the pilothouse should have been visually slanted to match the house. It was also extended upwards by what looks like a commercial-style coaming that does several things visually that are not enhancing. And I'm not sure why the broker chose to close the curtains!

I was also a bit surprised to see trim tabs - was that a stock item?

I was also a bit surprised to see trim tabs - was that a stock item?

Why were you surprised??? That boat is packing 750hp. I have a friend that has a GB42 with those same engines and it moves along smartly above 20 knots at WOT. He cruises it on plane regularly so the trim tabs definitely help.

Here's a Bayliner 4788 example of an enclosed flying-bridge, also in keeping with the style of the boat. This one is for sale in Alaska, but I also see that another almost identical 4788 is in Port Towsend. Is this a mod that was offered by Bayliner?

Attachments

• bayliner enclosed 1. jpg.jpg
    bayliner enclosed 1. jpg.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 77
  • bayliner enclosed.jpg
    bayliner enclosed.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 83
I like that one!!!

What in the world was this guy thinking???

At least he did not use those windshields that slope forward. No, aft. No, forward. No, aft......Auuuuuuuuuuuuuugh!

Maybe healhustler can "fix" it by photoshoping out sail rig (I would seriously like to see that).

Steve

img_386019_0_f11c604f0ffb5b30854a5b9045c79948.jpg

I don't like these high CG things but agree w Baker that that Bayliner is very good looking and most of these high add-ons don't look good at all. The Bayliner hardly looks top heavy.

Caught this example on Lifeaboard Forum this morning and had to re-boot this thread....pilothouse on stilts.

Attachments

• pilothouse on stilts.jpg
    pilothouse on stilts.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 80
Inspiration?

Attachments

• krogen manatee.jpg
    krogen manatee.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 362
Jus' ringin' your bell. The Manatee is a great space

LOL....Poker: In order to be a Manatee owner, you've got to allow for grimaces and giggles until they get inside, or especially, till they take a ride. We get just as many looks as you do in your Fantail....."sigh"....just not for the same reasons.

Note: In a recent survey involving at least two boaters, an improved taste in dress, grooming and beer selection was recorded when moving from ownership of brand-X boats to Krogen Manatees.

LOL....Poker: In order to be a Manatee owner, you've got to allow for grimaces and giggles until they get inside, or especially, till they take a ride. We get just as many looks as you do in your Fantail....."sigh"....just not for the same reasons.

Note: In a recent survey involving at least two boaters, an improved taste in dress, grooming and beer selection was recorded when moving from ownership of brand-X boats to Krogen Manatees.

What I want is a boat that looks like mine and lives like yours

What I want is a boat that looks like mine and lives like yours

LOL. Yeah, that's exactly what I want too. Meanwhile, I keep trying to make mine look more like yours. Fruitless effort, I'm afraid. But wouldn't that be something if one could arrange such an optically pleasing vessel and have all the benefits of a bulbous live-aboard. It's possible, but not under 50 ft. or so.

Add on pilot houses seem very popular down under in Oz; of course the extra weight doesn't make a Cat roll like it would on a monohull.

aluminium%20boat%20Catamaran14-1big.jpg

Works better on large hulls.

5653052_20160226075229137_1_LARGE.jpg

Rusty,
Those two cat houses don't look like add-on's to me.

Greetings,
Mr. mb. "Those two cat houses don't look like add-on's to me." Could it be that they were done well and aesthetically in keeping with the overall style of the vessel? Add-ons don't have to be ugly.

Back
Top Bottom