Refrigerator woes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lgbert

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
OZ
Vessel Make
1998 Marine Trader Tradewinds
My Tundra appears to have some gremlins. I am connected to shore power, and the freezer just defrosted and now appears not be be working. Unit will work on battery.
I have checked all the connections, and having no other problems with the outlet itself.
We did have a split second power outage during a storm and am thinking it may be tripped a breaker on the unit. My next step will to slide the refrig out and check around in back.
Any other suggestions and/or what else should I check
Whatever happened did not happen long before I discovered it as my water bottles still were frozen and the refrig section still was cold
Thanks in advance
Bert

Check power supply

I had very similar problems this spring and it turned out that the dual voltage power supply was bad. When on 120VAC it finally failed to keep the compressor running. It wasn't working on 12VDC because it was installed with too small of wire over a long run, so sometimes the fridge would work. I was just running off the inverter which seemed to work more consistently until the fridge AC/DC power supply could not supply enough current, but when tested seemed to have enough voltage.

Check the power supply, then pump controller. If it's a danfoos, you can make a test LED to show what the problem is. Turns out these controllers are very voltage sensitive, so power supply is primary suspect.

Good Luck.

tundra problem

My Tundra TJ 80 also lost the 110 volt function last year but would work on the 12 volt function with my battery charger. I had good ac voltage and the fuses in the fridge were OK. I was told that the power supply was defective. When I turned the fridge on for the first time this year the 110 volt function worked at the dock but I have no idea why.While anchoring out last week, with the fridge on 12 volt, I ran the generator to charge the batteries and switched the fridge to 110 volt but it no longer worked so I'm back to 12 volt. I'm considering replacing the fridge with the Nova Kool RFU9000.
Also, my freezer compartment works OK but the refrigerator section should be colder.

My Tundra TJ 80 also lost the 110 volt function last year but would work on the 12 volt function with my battery charger. I had good ac voltage and the fuses in the fridge were OK. I was told that the power supply was defective. When I turned the fridge on for the first time this year the 110 volt function worked at the dock but I have no idea why.While anchoring out last week, with the fridge on 12 volt, I ran the generator to charge the batteries and switched the fridge to 110 volt but it no longer worked so I'm back to 12 volt. I'm considering replacing the fridge with the Nova Kool RFU9000.
Also, my freezer compartment works OK but the refrigerator section should be colder.

Odd. Is there some significant AC voltage difference between your normal shore power supply and your genset output?

Or maybe clock speed? Our genset output is running a bit fast, just now, and our appliance clocks (coffeemaker, microwave) are gaining time while we're underway. How sensitive to cycle speed might a fridge's power supply be?

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom