Urgent need a stuffing box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robbie

Vessel Name
E.E.S.
Vessel Make
38' Northumberland
Ideas please guys!! I sheared a prop shaft and need to locate a new 1.5" inside stuffing box.
I've only been able to locate 2 in the whole of the maritime's, but the guy wants $650can!!! seems a bit steep?.

New shaft will be machined on Monday so I really need to find a box a.s.a.p. they seem to be as rare as rocking horse s**t?, if anyone knows where I can find one I'm prepared to fly it up to Newfoundland, my boats hauled on a slip waiting parts.

Is there something unusual about yours. these are made in all standard sizes

Post a picture?

My old girl is almost vintage, so it's not easy to find the right stuffing box, the one I need is threaded to the stern tube where as most everything I've found has "o" rings.
Thanks to a member I have managed to get my hands on a unit with the correct size packing nut, so I'm off to the machine shop today to see if they can do a small miracle and modify it. if not I may have to change the stern tube which is a big job!!

Attachments

• DSC00835.jpg
    DSC00835.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC00836.jpg
    DSC00836.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 107
The one I pulled off AXE is the thread on type mate. You're welcome to it but I'm in Australia and she's bloody heavy so postage will be a killer mate. PM me your email and I'll send some pics for you incase you're desperate.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Cheers sport, I'll keep that in mind, I was at the machine shop this morning banging on their door at sun up lol, the machinist thinks he can come up with a solution, I asked him to fabricate a plug then re-machine it with internal thread,
clutching at straws I know but the alternative is to replace the stern tube complete!!.

Good news! Still lots of season ahead of you to enjoy your trawler.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Trawler

Hi Robbie,
I tried sending you an email but it kept bouncing back for some reason. Please see below for pics of the one I have. Not sure if its any use to you or not. Pretty grubby but should clean up ok IMO.

If it'll work then you're welcome to it. Just pay for postage (6Kgs)

Attachments

• IMG_1634.jpg
    IMG_1634.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1635.jpg
    IMG_1635.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1637.JPG
    IMG_1637.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1638.JPG
    IMG_1638.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1639.JPG
    IMG_1639.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1640.jpg
    IMG_1640.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1641.JPG
    IMG_1641.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 101
Thanks again Hendo,
I think I'm OK the machinist has managed to modify the old unit that Ocean Breeze located for me, cheers Elwin!!.
Still need to do some realignment of the new shaft, the guys doing the job tell me the packing wasn't installed properly either which caused the shaft to overheat.

Back
Top Bottom