Our offer was accepted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kchace

Guru
Vessel Name
Shalloway
Vessel Make
Defever 44, twin Perkins
Our offer was accepted on the 43 Albin Trawler! Pretty exciting. Now on to the survey!

After looking at a bunch of boats and doing a LOT of research, we zeroed in on Albin 43's as our most favorite.

Ken

Congrats on the offer for the Albin 43 being accepted. Now on to the survey/ sea trial phases I hope it all works out for you! How about a picture or two of the Albin?
Bill

Greetings,
Mr. K. GREAT news! I would caution you VERY strongly, and I do appreciate your excitement, IF the survey/sea trial raises any red flags that you are rationally/financially not able or willing to deal with, be prepared to walk away without regrets. Do NOT become emotional at this point. I know it's very exciting but you'll have to live with your final decision for some time. Yup, you may think you're throwing the survey money away but it's peanuts compared to what you MAY be letting yourself in for if you let your sentiments make a decision.

Greetings,
Mr. K. GREAT news! I would caution you VERY strongly, and I do appreciate your excitement, IF the survey/sea trial raises any red flags that you are rationally/financially not able or willing to deal with, be prepared to walk away without regrets. Do NOT become emotional at this point. I know it's very exciting but you'll have to live with your final decision for some time. Yup, you may think you're throwing the survey money away but it's peanuts compared to what you MAY be letting yourself in for if you let your sentiments make a decision.

Yup, no worries there. I've been in boats a long time. I'm not emotionally attached to this boat - and the boat I do get I plan to stay with a long time so it does have to be the right boat. That said, I have seen three previous surveys and I have crawled all over the boat twice already. I think its in pretty good shape... but we'll see.

Ken

Congrats on the offer for the Albin 43 being accepted. Now on to the survey/ sea trial phases I hope it all works out for you! How about a picture or two of the Albin?
Bill

I don't have many overall ones, but here's one that gives a pretty good view.

Attachments

• IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 144
Oooo, I love blue hulls. So nautical. Just looks right.

Thanks, so do I. Even my current boat has a blue hull. I found a bit better pic.

Ken

Attachments

• 4475617_20130930070144454_3_XLARGE.jpg
    4475617_20130930070144454_3_XLARGE.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 138
Greetings,

Great advise from RT Firefly.
The blue hull looks great.

A piece of our story: Half way through our survey water intrusion was found on the boat deck:eek:. Brokers and surveyors wanting to know if I wanted to continue or save half the survey cost and walk right there:confused:. I made a quick call to a boat yard and they immediately came down to assess. Survey continued, counter offer was made with an 18% price reduction (repair cost). Not my first time in this process but I really learned to bite my lip and let the process play out. Offer was accepted and we are very happy with our decisions and the boat:dance:.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing more on your purchase!

Rekindle.. You are so right. If you've paid for the surveyor let him do the job so you have the full picture. Most savvy sellers realize that they're going to pay for the repairs. If you walk the next guy will have the same problem so they WILL have to pay if they ultimately want to sell the boat. Might as well use it to negotiate.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

I always like that bow flare on the 43 Albin. She looks like someone has put some time into her. I saw her on Yatchworld. Ask a few questions about how its was barrier coated and get the surveyors opinion. My boat was barrier coated in 2003 and this year small blisters are starting to form. That fact that it was barrier coated was a big selling point for me. I assumed it was forever.

Unfortunately barrier coats aren't forever, warm water is worse than cold (usually) and 99% of the effectiveness was the barrier coat prep.

I would guess the vast majority are done over still wet hulls and therefore not as nearly as good and actually can cause blistering depending on the hull and if there's any interior coating.

Many people think a wet hull will dry out over the winter..maybe even two and that's just incorrect.

My boat had water dripping out of the laminates as I ground down into them....the boat had been out of the water for nearly 7 months.

Any honest input ...from any source ...as to the boats previous history is worth its weight in gold. For things like bottom work that are now pretty well covered up...and the source is reliable it may be as good info as you will get from the surveyor...maybe more important.

Love the bow flare. I bet she's a relatively dry ride. Good luck with your upcoming phase of the purchase.

Unfortunately barrier coats aren't forever, warm water is worse than cold (usually) and 99% of the effectiveness was the barrier coat prep.

I would guess the vast majority are done over still wet hulls and therefore not as nearly as good and actually can cause blistering depending on the hull and if there's any interior coating.

Many people think a wet hull will dry out over the winter..maybe even two and that's just incorrect.

My boat had water dripping out of the laminates as I ground down into them....the boat had been out of the water for nearly 7 months.

Any honest input ...from any source ...as to the boats previous history is worth its weight in gold. For things like bottom work that are now pretty well covered up...and the source is reliable it may be as good info as you will get from the surveyor...maybe more important.

Thanks for the well wishes. We'll get to see what the hull looks like during the survey. Hopefully all will be well.

Ken

She looks very well cared for. I'll bet she breezes through the survey. Congratulations!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom