The big Bend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biloxi Jim

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
La Dolce Vita
Vessel Make
1991 48 Californian
We are leaving the Florida West Coast behind and making the turn in the next two days or should I say night. Any words of wisdom or anyone else heading that way

Where are you leaving from?
Are you going to try and follow the coast or cut across?
Where do you want to end up when you first get across?

Timing is everything on that crossing. Waite for a good weather window from start to finish locations. It can be a very easy crossing in good weather and can be pretty ugly in storms. I have made it when it is calm and it was great, and in a 31 foot sailboat in 10 footers. Very ugly for sure. We usually leave around noon and get in the next morning.

We intend to leave out of Tarpon Springs this weekend weather permitting in the late afternoon to arrive the next morning in Apalachicola. About 140 nm at 10 kts.

We enjoy the non-stop jump from either Clearwater or Tarpon Springs direct to Appalach, departing around noonish, arriving in good light the next morning. It's about 144 NM and we run it at 7.5-8 knots. In settled weather you can make it in under 20 hours...an easy trip in settled weather. As those before have cautioned, keep a close eye on weather and choose wisely my friend! If you're further south, departing from Tampa/Sarasota/Bradenton, I'd bypass Appalach and drive direct for Panama City, using caution to stay well offshore of Cape San Blas. Shoals extend seaward from there at least 10 miles out. It's a longer trip, but you cover lots more of your return journey.

Thanks Captain K. We are in St Pete now preparing to depart to our jump off point. Apalach was just to experience the town. We are in no rush hoping to be in Gulfport MS before the 1st of August. That is our home port for our recently acquired Californian 48. We left Jacksonville on June 20th enjoying the ride.

Timing is everything on that crossing. Wait for a good weather window from start to finish locations. It can be a very easy crossing in good weather and can be pretty ugly in storms

Certainly agree with that! I've made that crossing perhaps a half-dozen times or so (in the sailboat), and it can get kind of rough. There are days that are flat-calm, however -- just have to wait for weather.

An alternative is to go north from Anclote Key up to Steinhatchee, spend the night in Steinhatchee (make reservations at the Sea Hag, which is the only marina there which can handle your trawler), then from Steinhatchee over to Carrabelle to spend the night (or anchored off Dog Island). This is a longer route, to be sure, but can be done in pretty foul weather without a whole lot of pain.

Jwnall we considered Steinhatchee but the cruising guide said we can expect to find 3 ft in the 5 ft channel. With us drawing 4.5 that was a concern. Other wise why would I not go load up with fresh Scallops!

Jwnall we considered Steinhatchee but the cruising guide said we can expect to find 3 ft in the 5 ft channel. With us drawing 4.5 that was a concern. Other wise why would I not go load up with fresh Scallops!

Um, yeah, there is some skinny water on that route. I guess with a 4.5' draft I would want to be kind of cautious also. :)

High pressure over the gulf now should make for settled weather. Afternoon storms with heavy lightening near coast so you might want to be offshore earlier.

Cold front approaching towards the end of the week will probably bring windier conditions in the north gulf so it would be nice to be there before the front.

Last edited:
High pressure over the gulf now should make for settled weather. Afternoon storms with heavy lightening near coast so you might want to be offshore earlier

We've been having a lot of severe thunderstorm activity offshore from this area (North Florida) for several days now, and looks as if that is probably going to be the weather pattern for the next several days also (at a minimum). Not a deal breaker, of course. Just something to take into consideration.

We intend to leave out of Tarpon Springs this weekend weather permitting in the late afternoon to arrive the next morning in Apalachicola. About 140 nm at 10 kts.

Well then is a very straight forward trip. Just pick a good weather window and mind the thunderstorms. There can be traffic out there in the form of fishing and diving vessels. But I've never seen it what I would consider busy. :)

There is good fishing out there. So I'd troll a line or two if you've got them.

Enjoy Apalachicola. There are some good seafood restaurants there.

I have been watching the storms off the coast north of St Pete. That is what I would like to see die down. Right now getting a quartering sea out of the SSW as we head to Clearwater where we will spend the night and see what tomorrow brings.

Well Clearwater is madness! Watching the sunset in Tarpon Springs and waiting to see what tomorrow will bring

Well Clearwater is madness! Watching the sunset in Tarpon Springs and waiting to see what tomorrow will bring

Hard to know what to advise you. I will tell you what I would do, though, and then you can use your own smarts. I would go for it. Seas look reasonable, winds look reasonable. And next week is worse, because of a cold front. If you hit a thunderstorm -- then you hit a thunderstorm. Hunker down.

Again, not advising you. Just telling you what I do would do.

That is.what it looks like to me.

We love Apalachicola. Great run from Clearwater. No reason to run overnight though. Get an early start and at 10 knots you'll make it before dark. Actually you might leave a bit before sunrise, perhaps 6 AM, and that leaves extra time. Now our path last time was to Carabelle, then a short run to Apalachicola. We hadn't had a previous interest in that area and had skipped on to Panama City. Glad we checked them out last time.

If you elect to enter Apalachee Bay via Government Cut, you'll save quite a few miles over going via Carabelle, but use caution for shoaling near where the cut enters the Bay. We followed a local shrimper outbound two years ago and as I recall we favored the green side to keep to the deepest water. Once in well into the cut, we moved to mid-channel and had good water all the way out into the Gulf. As you proceed northbound from the cut into the Bay, I suggest you pass the range marks fairly close keeping them to starboard. From there to the ICW you'll have decent water. BTW, our draught is 4'2". Give a shout on channel 16 to ask for local knowledge as you approach. Obviously shoaling in that area is subject to change over time. Always best to get in touch with locals with the latest info. As to the thunder bumpers, about six years ago I delivered a sailboat from Cortez (near Bradenton, FL) to Panama City. We sailed through a line of storms during the night about 60 NM south of Panama City, and were easily able to circumnavigate the most vigorous cells using radar. But with the moon nearly full, you should be able to do the same visually. Bon Voyage.

After an enjoyable stay in Tarpon Springs with a full load of fuel we are off. With the great weather and a full moon conditions look very favorable for a day crossing. See you on the other side

absolutely beautiful up in the panhandle this AM, Destin area. Extreemly clear. Have a great voyage.

After an enjoyable stay in Tarpon Springs with a full load of fuel we are off. With the great weather and a full moon conditions look very favorable for a day crossing. See you on the other side

Fingers crossed for a pleasant trip across, and let us know how it went after you get over here on my side.

Where did you stay in Tarpon?

We made it. It started out a little rolly with a quartering sea. After a few adjustments to course, speed and trim it was better. After that it turned to glass. We left F &Y fuel dock at 7:10 and were headed into Gov Cut at about 7 pm. I was so glad it was high tide. We had less than a foot under our wheels. Favor the green range markers! Off to eat. Will post mote later.

Rogerh we stayed at the wall in town just before the city marina. We did not have pre arranged dockage, long story, and just ended up there. Called the number on the sign and got Sponge-A-Rama. No one else would answer the phone after 5 on Saturday. Had to wait until Monday to refuel but f&y made it worth while

Great! Glad all was well. Assume you are in Apalachicola now. Nice town. Best way from there (in my opinion) is to take the ICW from Apalach over to Port St. Joe (have to turn down a side canal from the ICW to get to Port St. Joe) and then run outside over to Panama City. Lake Winoma between Apalach and Port St. Joe is shallow, but stay in the middle of the markers and it should OK. ICW from Port St. Joe to Panama City is a very ugly ditch, which is why I would go outside. Also lots of barge traffic and not much room to pass.

Jim, Glad you made it and all is well. If you get over our way on your way back come and anchor in Boggy Bayou accross from Destin. We also have a nice marina in the back of the Bayou called North Light. We can hook up with you and buy you guys a drink or dinghy up and bring a drink. Rog

Glad to see you had a good crossing, we always enjoy Apalachicola and Port St Joe.

I saw this thread late, but, here is an interesting Gulf of Mexico weather site for future voyages. Below the first chart on the "MWX-pro control planel click on the, Regional Annimations Gulf of Mexico wave height icon, for entire Gulf animation out several days

Tampa Bay Surf Report (STORMSURF)

We are visiting Sandestin, unfortunately by land, there was a pretty bad thunderstorm passing over about 6AM.

Last edited:
We left F &Y fuel dock at 7:10 and were headed into Gov Cut at about 7 pm. I was so glad it was high tide. We had less than a foot under our wheels. Favor the green range markers!

That is the second report that I have seen lately that the Cut may be shoaling. I think that since they completed the new bridge over to St. George Island, which has a 65' clearance, and which allows people to enter/exit the ICW using the deep water entrance between Dog Island and St. George Island, that they have been neglecting the Cut somewhat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom