Interlux Perfection Plus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scary

Guru
Vessel Name
Cary'D Away
Vessel Make
Hatteras 48 LRC
I'm using this two part polyurethane varnish for the first time. I have seen results that were very impressive using it so I thought I'd give it a try on a drop leaf table I'm building. This product is clear and high gloss without amber tinting but still claims to have good UV protection. Anybody used this product, sprayed or brushed? The first two coats have been applied with a HVLP to raw African Mahogany reduced 25% with their recommended reducer. It can recoated after 3hrs at 97deg or 4 hrs at 75deg without sanding. The product seems to apply easily but is prone to run at the this reduction if applied like varnish. It acts like clear Algrip, which it in fact may be similar to. I will spray the next three or four coats at full strength if possible to get through the gun. At some point I will have to sand the table smooth to apply the finish high gloss top coats. I'd like some feed back on others experiences with this product.

Good stuff. You are most likely going to need to thin it before spraying. Depending on the conditions you are working in about 10% should do it.

Thanks

Good stuff. You are most likely going to need to thin it before spraying. Depending on the conditions you are working in about 10% should do it.
I just tried brushing it on some trim pieces at full strength. Seems to cover well with a little more drag than Captains. On the other hand it it is tack free in less than 30 minutes. I think you would have to move pretty fast in direct sunlight with a brush.

I did my entire parquet floor in my Clipper after a good sand down. It was very tired. I used a belt sander for the large areas, then a mouse sander for the tricky corners etc, vacuumed well, then applied 4 coats, (here it's called International Perfection Varnish, but same stuff), over four successive days, with a fine, good quality brush, and it still looks great after 6 yrs.

Sorry, no pics - I don't normally think of photographing the floor, and I admit I'm no Mark Pierce.

Last edited:
I just used Perfection plus on all my deck rails. Expensive but sure makes a great finish. I found that I got much better results if I thinned it with what the can recommends. Without thining it did not flow and fill brush marks etc. Toward the last few pieces I tried the roll and tip method but used a foam brush and it really turned out nice. The roller leaves bubbles but the tip with the foam removes the bubbles and leaves a great finish. Of course timing is everything and the tip needs to be done imediatley after the roller goes over the surface. I was using it in about 90 degree and relatively high humidity and it really took a good six hours to dry before you could sand for the next coat. Pretty much followed the directions to the T. Good luck!

Oh, one more thing. The stuff is impossible to get out of brushes. I bought expensive brushes that got ruined thus I tried the foam brush and it worked well and disposable. I used 7 coats after I got the wood down to bare wood using a heat gun and a scrapper and sanding to get the old finish off.

Back
Top Bottom