Any Helpful Hints on Apply Vinyl Boat Lettering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocky

Well its been almost 2 months since we closed the deal on our 34' CHB and I finally received the boat lettering in the mail today.* I've done this once before and I remember struggling with it; any helpful hints from those of you who have done this alot would be appreciated.* I realize it comes with instructions and a squiggy, but there has to be some clever ideas out there on applying these letters.

Thanks,
Pattik

The last time I did it went quite well.
Two people are best - or three if you need one to stand back a bit*and confirm the right position/alignment. Work from the centre outwards and don't try to do it if there's any wind.

Here's the way to do it: (Just did mine this year)

Have soapy water in a spray bottle. Just a few squeezes of dish soap in a couple of cups of water in a spray bottle will do fine.

Spray the entire surface you want to apply it to with a liberal amount of soapy water. There is no such thing as too much.

Pull the backing off the lettering and get the lettering exactly where you want it. I spent a lot of time measuring, drawing lines and putting down reference marks. But the soap will allow you to fiddle with it.

Use the squeegee and force ALL the bubbles out. Be meticulous! Reapply soapy water on paper side to lube your squeegee work.

(This is the step they neglected to tell me until after) LET IT DRY FOR 12-24 HOURS!!

CAREFULLY pull the paper side off. Look for edges pulling up and promptly stick them back down.

Voila!!

Pics...

Attachments

• lettering2.jpg
    lettering2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 64
  • lettering1.jpg
    lettering1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 89
The guys in the manufacturing shop where I worked used the soapy water method to apply decals to tractors. There is also a commercial product made, " Sticker On" same people who make "Sticker Off", maybe it is soapy water in a bottle for a bunch of money?
Don't do it in the wind or on a hot sunny day which makes the vinyl soft and stretchy.
Steve W.

Thanks everyone. I've done this just once before, bout 3 years ago. I don't remember leaving the paper backing on for 12-24 hours though; thanks for that little tidbit. Will have to do it in the AM, as the wind is usually up by noon time.

Back
Top Bottom