Exumas and Eleuthera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N4712

Guru
Vessel Name
Oliver
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Well were getting getting to go head for the exumas and beyond. Boats getting put in tomorrow, Friday it's getting a deep scrub. Tommorow were going start provisioning loading the boat running systems to make sure everything's working and so on. Saturday were going head to Bimini clear stay for the night then over the bank to chub cay. Chub to Highbourne then we'll work our way down to George Town where where were going stay for awhile and have family fly in and out and stay on the boat. Then we'll head up to Eleuthera and the rest will just go by feel. I'll try to keep y'all updated when ever possible. We also bought a little Bahama phone so places where BTC towers are present we can call and receive calls- no need for the sat in those situations. We'll also be getting the tanks topped off so we'll have 1350 - or + gallons. Plus a full water tank (400 gallons) so the boat should ride extra nice if we run into snotty weather with all that weight below the waterline.

Last edited:
Sounds like a fantastic trip, Bon Voyage.

We're here at Bimini Bluewater for the night, tomorrow over the bank to chub cay.

Life is good. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1404006907.377648.jpg

Arrived in Chubb, nice marina. Dockage is expensive but first rate. Tomorrow it's off to Highborne.

Be sure and visit the pigs at Big Major's Spot!! They are a hoot!
And Thunderball Grotto is beautiful!

Attachments

• 36a.JPG
    36a.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 170
  • 37.JPG
    37.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 172
  • 68.JPG
    68.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 171
  • 69.JPG
    69.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 169
Well were back home for the week to get a couple things fixed (crane, and other misc things) then hopefully next week we'll head back over for one or two weeks. Originally we thought we had a growth problem in the AC cooling lines which disabled 3 of our 5 AC's. So halfway home I noticed we were getting water flow out of all the outlets, turned out to be there was something over the inlet. So being halfway home we figured we'll just go home and kill multiple birds with one stone. Were going comeback towing our CC which will also give us a good platform to go in between the islands. Also getting a couple other things we noticed we needed like an extra cord set and some other things. Pictures in a little. We only visited Highbourne and Staniel, but were going try and make up lost time. Were also not sure if were going go over to Eleuthera, so we'll see.

As promised.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1404961774.919659.jpg
Moored at SCYC.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1404961805.766855.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1404961834.510914.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1404961847.468242.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1404961875.441803.jpg
Pigs at big majors.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1404961913.951132.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1404961939.224848.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1404961956.431825.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1404961921.313092.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1404961976.859341.jpg
Assorted beaches.

SCYC
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1404962109.969092.jpg
Anchored off at Highbourne. We spotted a 76 in the marina.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1404962181.221486.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1404962207.206929.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1404962191.191005.jpg

Misc.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1404962254.672438.jpg
Chubb Cay
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1404962275.260592.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1404962293.334656.jpg

I'm new to the boards, but was the charter captain / training captain / delivery captain / sales manager for Great Harbour Trawlers for 8 years. Did LOTS of Bahamas charters. My advice for the rest of your trip? Skip Eleuthera. It has been a disappointment every time I have gone. Continue exploring the Exumas. There is way more to the Exumas than Staniel and Highbourne. Doesn't look like you made it to Warderick Wells, or Shroud, or Norman, or Compass, or Allen's - I rate all as a "don't miss". And don't miss little-known Cave Cay. Bizarre, gorgeous marina owned by an eccentric Texan. You will probably be the only boat in the very protected, like new marina (floating Bellingham concrete docks!). Have dockmaster "Shark" tell you how to get to the caves. Well worth exploring. Then dinghy out to Three-Mile Sandbar for zillions of sand dollars, helmet shells, etc. Georgetown? Eh, not so much, in my book.

By the way, if you go back to the Berrys, make sure to visit Great Harbour. It's another wonderful little gem. Chub? As you found out, it's an EXPENSIVE, frozen in mid-construction, mosquito-infested place. Best to go with the Berry Island Club as an earlier poster suggested. Of course, all of this is just my opinion. YEMV

Happy Exploring!

Eric

Last edited:
Oliver Oliver ....wonderful pictures.

I've been waiting for some good FL pics for some time. Picture wise your mountains are in the form of clouds. And you know how to use them. I especially like the dark picture.

Oliver, finally we get some pictures. Great job. I've been waiting. Agreed. Not much at Eleuthura. The water is so gorgeous in the Exumas. Hope you get your chores done, and back to cruising soon.

Nice pics Oliver . Watch out for those pigs ! My friend that lives in Abaco was bitten by one on the arm about 3 weeks ago . It wasn't too bad and she is ok . Keep having fun .

While I agree there is way better cruising in the Exumas, I would not write off Eleuthera completely.

Based on your photos it looks like you like marina hopping and there are a few places to do that on and around Eleuthera that are worth a look. Spanishwells comes to mind, as do the three marinas on Harbour Island and Cape Eleuthera on the south end.

I have been waiting for a good reason to post this picture taken a few weeks ago while I was visiting Long Island which is a little south and east of the Exumas.

Attachments

• Long Island.jpg
    Long Island.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 142
Been a while since I've posted -- was on the way to the Bahamas 18 months ago and got sidetracked by treatment for Stage 4 melanoma. In April of this year I was declared NED (No Evidence of Disease) so returned to the boat & took off for the Exumas. Got back a few weeks ago -- here's a few pics.

Attachments

• IMPROV Diving.jpeg
    IMPROV Diving.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 135
  • Dave Diving copy.jpg
    Dave Diving copy.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 128
  • Elaine On Hawksbill Beach copy.jpg
    Elaine On Hawksbill Beach copy.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Hawksbill 2 copy.jpg
    Hawksbill 2 copy.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 138
  • improv copy.jpg
    improv copy.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 125
  • Stan Cay Sunset copy.jpg
    Stan Cay Sunset copy.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 137
Yep, as Pack Mule pointed out, those pigs can be VERY aggressive. The best tip is to use only foods you can toss to them (cut up fruit or veggies - not peanut butter), and keep your dink in water at least three feet deep. If you get too close to shore, where it's shallow, those bigger sows will climb right aboard trying to grab for more food.

Yep, as Pack Mule pointed out, those pigs can be VERY aggressive. The best tip is to use only foods you can toss to them (cut up fruit or veggies - not peanut butter), and keep your dink in water at least three feet deep. If you get too close to shore, where it's shallow, those bigger sows will climb right aboard trying to grab for more food.

You are right about the water depth! We were afraid this one was going to puncture the side of our Achilles.

Attachments

• P29.jpg
    P29.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 110
I was really glad my tender was a fiberglass skiff when this rude lady tried to join us!

Attachments

• Pig Boarding.jpg
    Pig Boarding.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 115

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom