Local color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhatty

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
"Emily Anne"
Vessel Make
2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
A few residents and visitors

Attachments

• albin.jpg
    albin.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 129
  • dh.jpg
    dh.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 157
  • top hat.jpg
    top hat.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 105
  • dscn0070.jpg
    dscn0070.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 86
  • simcha.jpg
    simcha.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 95
  • maddiejoe.jpg
    maddiejoe.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 110
  • z1.jpg
    z1.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 121
  • z2.jpg
    z2.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 99
Hiya,
** dw, very nice shots.* GREAT shot of the Albin.* I've always admired the bow flair on these vessels.

Those Pictures wouldn't have been taken near Seal Harbor Maine, would they?

timjet wrote:

Those Pictures wouldn't have been taken near Seal Harbor Maine, would they?
Taken in Buck's Harbor, ME (East Penobscot Bay). Seal Harbor is on Mt. Desert, about 20 NM +/- to the eastward. The green wooden boat is a Penbo "houseboat" trawler. The black lobster yacht with the lifering and bright finished house is a Stanley 39 (38? 37?) built on Mt. Desert. The green Northern Marine trawler "Spirit of Zopilote" needs no introduction. And, of course, there is an ubiquitous Hinckley as well as the other IG32 resident in the harbor and a recently built "one-off" wooden lobster yacht.

I just returned from that area...Sorrento and Frenchmans bay.* Beautiful, I can't wait to go back and stay the summer on a boat.

Is that boat in the 6th picture a Penbo Trawler? WoodenBoat did an article on them a few years back and I've always admired them.

Max Simmons wrote:

Is that boat in the 6th picture a Penbo Trawler? WoodenBoat did an article on them a few years back and I've always admired them.
Yes. And sort of for sale.

Here's a 1929 Cris Craft commuter that visited our marina in Deltaville, VA

Attachments

• mt 007.jpg
    mt 007.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 94
  • mt 008.jpg
    mt 008.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 66
WOW....that is a sweet boat!!!

The owner told me she used to have a V-12 Lycoming engine

Love old boats.* Really do.* Especially ones from the 20s and 30s.* However, that 1929 CC is pretty ugly.* Don't get me wrong, and I don't want to be banned from this forum, but that vessel looks like it originally had two architects and they had a disagreement!

My two cents.* Always remember, I have thick skin...* So let me have it!

Ray

P.S.* Sorry to keep editing this turd.* Notice the similarity between the two.* The other boat is a 43-foot Stephens trunk cabin built in Petaluma, California in 1930.

-- Edited by Giggitoni on Wednesday 18th of August 2010 03:37:41 PM

-- Edited by Giggitoni on Wednesday 18th of August 2010 03:45:42 PM

-- Edited by Giggitoni on Wednesday 18th of August 2010 03:57:33 PM

-- Edited by Giggitoni on Wednesday 18th of August 2010 03:59:01 PM

Attachments

• mt 007.jpg
    mt 007.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 213
  • img_0083b.jpg
    img_0083b.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 80
Daddyo wrote:

Here's a 1929 Cris Craft commuter that visited our marina in Deltaville, VA
I have never seen an "ugly" boat in my life but this one comes very close. What were they thinking?* Look at the lines....you've got to be kidding me!

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Wednesday 18th of August 2010 03:47:09 PM

Attachments

• ugly.jpg
    ugly.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 68
I remember reading Zopilote was lost on a reef or rock some years ago, I hadn't seen a pic of the Spirit of Zopilote looks real nice!
By the way Zopilote means Vulture in Spanish kinda strange name for a boat.
Steve W.

I have never seen an "ugly" boat in my life but this one comes very close. What were they thinking?* Look at the lines....you've got to be kidding me!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a certain beauty in pure function..** clearly this vessel was not built with the forward pilothouse, but for reasons we can only imagine (safety.. abilty to navigate in fog.. who knows?) someone* created a boat to meet his particular needs.* Do we not all aspire to that?*

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Wednesday 18th of August 2010 03:47:09 PM

The forward pilothouse was someones attempt later on to enclose the forward open helm station, this boat being a NYC commuter was operated by a captain, this as per the current owner

Here is some "local color" from our neck of the woods.* I'm a huge fan of Willard boats, and this one is really something.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 129
I like Willards so much that I have one.Since we're on style right now * .....
See how this W40 PH and almost all Willards have lots of freeboard. The odd looking excess of freeboard is greatly softened by the two horizontal grey stripes on the side of the hull. In this case the PH could use one too (I think).Notice also the inclusion of round ports and rectangular ports or windows used on the same boat and even side by side. I consider this bad design/taste unless the two different ports are far removed from one another as in round ports fwd and on the hull topsides thus isolated from the rectangular/square ports. This is (in my opinion) the most desirable of all Willards Usually powered by a Perkins 6-354 or a 120 Lehman. This much power in a full displacement boat makes it a bit over powered but these boats (W40) can be had for $150K. IF you can find one. They were made in the US and are not free of blisters.
Here is my own Willard 30 as I bought her and 3 weeks ago.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Saturday 18th of September 2010 10:03:49 AM

Attachments

• sth71275.jpg
    sth71275.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 65
  • willard 015.jpg
    willard 015.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 99
Eric,
Love your boat. I have always been a huge fan of Willard boats, however, the Vega model is the only other one I've seen in my area, been one for sale up in SF Bay for sometime. This was the first "big" Willard I'd seen, and its moored just across the slip from me, so I get to admire it every time we are at our boat. It is clean as a whistle, totally bristol as they say. The grey stripe at the top of the null is raised a 1/4 inch or so, so on closeup examination its really quite stunning. Someone in our marina mentioned its originally from New Zealand, although hailing port on the vessel says Moss Landing, CA. I'd love to get inside, keep waiting for the owner to show up, but so far haven't seen him/her.

Eric:

Again, " beautiful boat!"* I love the color scheme.
I noticed in the "when you bought her photo" that you are using your chocks...
eyepopping.gif

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Saturday 18th of September 2010 12:54:24 PM

Rocky,It's always nice to have someone admire one's boat * *...thank you. When new the stripes on Willards are always grey. Their marketing target must have been to ultra conservative.
Anybody here think I'm ultra conservative? Nobody better say yes. I'd like to paint the hull buff like the cabin sides but don't know if I'll get around to it. I've been inside a W40. Nothing very exciting but a good layout. I'd like to get a pretty one and repower it w 70 - 80 hp. The Nordhavn 46 is quite a bit bigger and w greater displacement and powered w 101hp. I like the shape of the W40 better than the 30 * *.. not as abrupt and full as the W30 (lower PC). Remember Rocky * * ...the CHB 34 is one of my favorites.
Walt,
Yes. I do use the chock when the cleat is inbd of the rail and the run of the line is not at a great angle. You see my line is almost straight. Actually it was the previous owner's tie.
I'm going out camping on the west coast with the skiff for a few days. * *Later

Eric,
Thats nice of you to say, but I don't think there is much comparison between Willards and CHBs. They scream quality of build to me, and the rounded stern sets off the whole boat in my humble opinion, its always what catches my eye on these boats. I do agree with you about the design of the windows though, might have done that a tad different.

You mentioned you never saw an ugly boat ...... maybe I can change your mind.

Attachments

• green boat.jpg
    green boat.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 76
George wrote:

Yep......that white sailboat is pretty bad!!!!!!!!!!

Luckily they hid most of it with that seaplane!!!!!!!

Hee Hee!

-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Sunday 19th of September 2010 11:27:38 PM

loll
biggrin.gif

hollywood8118 wrote:

George wrote:

Yep......that white sailboat is pretty bad!!!!!!!!!!

Luckily they hid most of it with that seaplane!!!!!!!

Hee Hee!

-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Sunday 19th of September 2010 11:27:38 PM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom