Honda Genset Housing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain K

Vessel Name
GITANA
Vessel Make
Sea Ranger 47 Pilothouse
In a previous threat discussing the merits of Honda's little i2000 genset, I mentioned mine is housed in an old wooden dock box I made and later mounted on my boat deck just aft of the flying bridge, port side. Somebody requested photos, which are attached. Note the exhaust and cooling vents, and the weather-proof power chord cover--all available at hardware stores. Also note the series of 20 or so 1" holes I drilled in the bottom of the box to facilitate cooling. The 3-gallon auxiliary fuel tank is mounted outside the box. Even when the genset is running hard under load, the exhaust vent is cool enough to touch without discomfort. My goal in mounting the Honda in this housing was to protect it from the rain.

Attachments

• 20140708_082240.jpg
    20140708_082240.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 235
  • 20140708_082256.jpg
    20140708_082256.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 246
  • 20140708_082314.jpg
    20140708_082314.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 235
  • 20140708_082353.jpg
    20140708_082353.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 224
  • 20140708_082410.jpg
    20140708_082410.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 235
I would be very concerned about air flow short circuiting inside that enclosure. How about putting a thermometer inside near the Honda's air intake and running it under load for ten minutes and check the temp.

I expect that you will find it well above 100 deg F. You can hold your hand on 120F for a few minutes but it sure isn't good for the engine.

David

That's a fire waiting to happen. Unit is designed to run unenclosed. If you really need to run it in a box, the box needs forced ventilation.

While it certainly looks out of the ordinary...I have experimented too..

The little Hondas are so small the total amount of heat is pretty small....

If I remember correctly, internal to the Honda plastic case is cooled by airflow and it exits all around the exhaust. If that airflow generates a flow though the dockbox similarly...the internal temps of the dockbox are probably only a few degrees higher except directly behing and close to the tiny exhaust.

I would certainly have a high temp alarm in there (or transmitting fire alarm)...but unless you have played around with these units...it's amazing how cool running they seem.

remember...they are almost totally encased in a plastic enclosure.

I'd be more concerned with recirculating the exhaust into the intake. Exhaust gas is corrosive and if drawn into the intake will severely shorten the life of your genny.

On the other had, I know it;s pretty easy to extend the exhaust pipe on these units.

Oh, and rain wont hurt these generators. Ours survive in quite harsh conditions.

In my experience...if the exhaust opening is not restrictive...they set up a pretty good circulation on their own...that's why the design allows for plastic cases.

But if I was going to permanently mount one like this and I used it a lot...I would extend the exhaust and rig for and external fuel tank.

Placing a wireless thermometer in the box is a good idea. I have one on the boat that I move around for fridge temp monitoring. They're cheap and reliable.

How's your access to the pull cord and ON/OFF control? Would elevating the unit improve access to both while also allowing for air circulation below the unit?

Do you find that the box provides some sound deadening or, with the ample vents, it doesn't make much of a difference?

I have considered modifying to accept the external fuel tank, but have held off until I get a better feel for the need for extended run times. So far, my longest run is about 2 hrs at about half-speed...more than ample for the nearly one gallon capacity. If you modify for the extended run tank, can you disconnect the tank and still use the internal tank alone if desired?

Thanks for posting the pics!

Interesting and enjoyable discussion. Thanks to all for your comments. It's one reason I value this forum. Responding to a few questions and individual points: psneeld--your idea of a high-temp alarm is excellent. Think I'll put one in. Your point about the unit being surrounded by plastic is instructive. The flashpoint of that material is certainly lower than that of the surrounding plywood, which is 5" minimum all around, except for the bottom. FlyWright--yes, the box does provide some sound deadening, although the little unit is so quiet I frankly don't notice the difference; access to the pull cord and on/off switch is good as I simply tilt the unit to one side when starting or shutting down to improve access; yes, with an auxiliary tank you can easily disconnect it and use the on-board tank by removing the aux tank cap and replacing it with the regular gas cap. Ski in NC--Thanks for the warning. I know your comments are sincere and I appreciate them; however, before I allowed this thing to run in the box for long, I tested it extensively through simple observation. It's managed to operate for nearly 4 years now without incinerating me. I now confidently run it all night long powering a little $99-dollar 5.4K BTU window air con installed to cool our master cabin...very cost-efficient when it's just the wife and I aboard. As I think on it, I'm wondering what aboard a boat is NOT "a fire waiting to happen?" With the modest amount of common sense I posses, my hope is to keep all such risks within reason. Thanks again to all.

I plan to buy one as a back up when I head to Alaska 2016! 78 Mondays till I retire......

I remember on another forum, someone was customizing a Styrofoam cooler to hold his Honda generator. :rolleyes:

There's probably a reason Honda doesn't market an enclosure for its generators. I don't know what that is.

There's also probably a reason Honda doesn't market its generators to boaters.

I saw a houseboat that had a honda 3000 mounted in a box in front of the cabin on the deck. The owner had a box fan mounted inside with large vents on both sides for cooling. Had a cushion on top and was used as a seat. It seemed to work fine with no problems and he would run it all day long while anchored out.

I know someone who runs a Honda in a box on their flybridge. However they open the lid when they run it. They haven't had any issues doing that in 3 or 4 years now.

I think there's countless boaters that have done it for at least awhile. They may have stopped or upgraded...but I don't recall anyone of them ever saying that something happened that scared them into stopping.

I don't recall seeing any issues or warnings about Honda gensets from all the boating publications other than the typical warnings about 110Vs and CO.

I think there are logical reasons why they are not marketed towards boaters...but boaters have seemed to figure out they are a reasonable alternative in some situations.

With a few safety precautions I don't see them as a huge threat....everyone has their own comfort levels.

My own personal comfort level is...that if I do something even remotely out of the ordinary...I'll do it after thorough research, much thought, installation of any safety devices that will help minimize risks and almost always be present when that system is in operation.

In the case of these gensets...I do not sleep while it is running and I place it in a position where even if it caught on fire, it would be easy to put out. For those that do decide to enclose one further, you may think about fire retardant material for lining the box and being able to stop any airflow into the box. That way if there was a problem...sealing it would make short work of open flames....a fire extinguisher access port would also be a good idea if the vents would deflect too much from the extinguisher.

There's also probably a reason Honda doesn't market its generators to boaters.

Well I saw a while back a Honda Genny pamphlet that actuall showed one on a boat. Now I can't find it, dang it.......

Last edited:
Well I saw a while back a Honda Genny pamphlet that actuall showed one on a boat. Now I can't find it, dang it.......

I don't think you will find it. The Honda site mentions just about every possible use except on a boat.

As far as building an enclosure, this is from the Honda site:

General operation tips
Always read your owner's manual before operating your generator.
While we provide general tips here, it's important that you are familiar with the operation for your specific model before getting started.

EM5000Always run your generator outside. Close any doors and windows.
Like all products powered by gasoline engines, Honda generators produce carbon monoxide. Protect yourself and others by only running the generator outdoors and well away from the home. Keep doors and windows closed.

Give the generator plenty of space.
Leave at least three feet of space around the top and sides of the generator. Do not enclose the generator in a box or other casing. Proper ventilation is vital to its use and your safety.

Keep the generator dry.
Do not use the generator in wet conditions, such as rain or snow, or near a pool or sprinkler system.

Place the generator on a firm, level surface.

Run your generator at least once a month.
Running, or exercising, your generator regularly helps to insure it will start when you really need it. It lubricates the engine by circulating oil, runs fresh gas through the carburetor, and works to recharge the battery. This keeps the generator ready to go when the power goes out.

(emphasis added)

Last edited:
Actually Honda does make an accessory sound box for the 2000 but its only sold in Japan and it cost almost as much as the genny! Its is much smaller than the deck box unit shown here.
A link to the Honda/Japan page. Use Goggle to translate it.

Hondab”*“d‹@bƒIƒvƒVƒ‡ƒ“b–h‰¹ƒ{ƒbƒNƒX

Great link and info on the Honda enclosure. Obviously the unit can operate enclosed with proper ventilation. I'd like to see the manual and specs for that box. It says they can reduce the sound level to 10dB. That's impressive.

They market a cover for it with the Honda marine Trademark on it....pretty silly of them to have one and no pics of it near a boat....

New Honda Generator Cover EU2000i Blue Sunbrella Honda Marine Logo

Attachments

• $_12.jpg
    $_12.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 150
Upon reading the Honda recommendations posted above it is safe to say I have consistently violated 7 of them since the first units where introduced to the American market. Especially the wet environment and uneven terrain ones.

Can only recall one incident ever putting one out of commission. I accidentally backed a 60,000 pound Kobelco excavator over a 3500 watt model, oops.

I accidentally backed a 60,000 pound Kobelco excavator over a 3500 watt model, oops.

I don't think any generator marine or not can handle that. LOL.:lol:

My 2000 on the custom mount with the Honda marine cover.

Attachments

• gen2.jpg
    gen2.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 243
  • gen5.JPG
    gen5.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 244
I have two of these stored aboard and commonly set one on the fore deck when at anchor so as to only consume 1 gallon every 6 hours instead of 6 to 9 gallons in the same time frame with the 9kw Beke. $1 per. hour -vs- $5 per. hour for keeping all systems active for small loads. What a bargain, not to mention the redundancy benefit

P.S. I bought the honda marine covers as well and I am having trouble remembering for sure but I think they came in honda sealed bags. Can anyone confirm ???

There are racers that mount the little Honda gennies inside job boxes and trailer tongue boxes all the time.Those things run all weekend,probably 15 to 20 hours,with nothing more than a small vent for the exhaust.I can't see Captain K's set up being that bad,especially after seeing that Honda spec enclosure.The Honda spec unit has the venting really close to the intake and exhaust preventing airflow problems.

I have two of these stored aboard and commonly set one on the fore deck when at anchor so as to only consume 1 gallon every 6 hours instead of 6 to 9 gallons in the same time frame with the 9kw Beke. $1 per. hour -vs- $5 per. hour for keeping all systems active for small loads. What a bargain, not to mention the redundancy benefit

P.S. I bought the honda marine covers as well and I am having trouble remembering for sure but I think they came in honda sealed bags. Can anyone confirm ???

Sounds exactly like the same philosophy I have about the little guys.

It will be a difficult decision to make if/when the big genset ever requires more money than it's worth and replacing it hits the table.

Actually Honda does make an accessory sound box for the 2000 but its only sold in Japan and it cost almost as much as the genny! Its is much smaller than the deck box unit shown here.
A link to the Honda/Japan page. Use Goggle to translate it.

Hondab”*“d‹@bƒIƒvƒVƒ‡ƒ“b–h‰¹ƒ{ƒbƒNƒX

Here is the google translated versionhttp://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.honda.co.jp%2Fgenerator%2Foption%2Fsilentbox%2F&sandbox=1

And, if you want to buy one.....Aida-Sangyo.Ltd | Rakuten Global Market:  Soundproofing box for exclusive use of Honda generator EU9iJN1 EU9iJN3(11633)/EU16iJN3(11634)

FYI, Rakuten is the Amazon of Japan, so it should be legit. Just over $1,000 with freight..... couple that with a honda EU2000 and you have a very good alternative to a below deck genset.

Last edited:
One of the options of the Honda generators, as I understand it, is that you can run two (or more) in parallel so as to have more output power available. While one might be a bit iffy to run my A/C, two should do it. Has anyone done this? If so, how well does it seem to work?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom