HEY! I'm a 'GURU'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bligh

Guru
Vessel Name
Concerto
Vessel Make
1980 Cheoy Lee
I'm not sure what I did to achieve this most elevated status, but from now on I would prefer to be addressed as "Master guru bligh"

gu·ru
ˈgo͝oro͞o,go͝oˈro͞o/

noun

noun: guru; plural noun: gurus
(in Hinduism and Buddhism) a spiritual teacher, especially one who imparts initiation.
synonyms:spiritual teacher, teacher, tutor, sage, mentor, spiritual leader, leader, master; Moreswami, maharishi
"a Hindu guru and mystic"

antonyms:disciple

• each of the ten first leaders of the Sikh religion.

• an influential teacher or popular expert.
    "a management guru"

I'm not sure what I did to achieve this most elevated status, but from now on I would prefer to be addressed as "Master guru bligh"

gu·ru
ˈgo͝oro͞o,go͝oˈro͞o/

noun

noun: guru; plural noun: gurus
(in Hinduism and Buddhism) a spiritual teacher, especially one who imparts initiation.
synonyms:spiritual teacher, teacher, tutor, sage, mentor, spiritual leader, leader, master; Moreswami, maharishi
"a Hindu guru and mystic"

antonyms:disciple

• each of the ten first leaders of the Sikh religion.

• an influential teacher or popular expert.
    "a management guru"

Bligh,

It has been deemed by the all knowing powers behind the strings of the great Trawler Forum that you have suffered flagellation and financial deprivation enough to reach the exalted heights of Guru. From now on you shall wonder how this new knowledge has come upon you. You will find yourself philosophying and pontificating about things until now you had no idea of. Welcome brother.

Last edited:
I prefer to be self-labeled. I'm definitely no guru, but in charge of a boat and continuing to learn.

I think I agree with Mark! I'm in charge of a boat also, but the older I get, the more I need to learn.
Wish I was 17 again, cause I knew it all!!!

Wish I was 17 again, cause I knew it all!!!

Me too.
Heck, I wish I was half as smart as I "knew" I was back then. Okay, let's put it this way: I met Calder ("the" Calder) and because I had more miles at the helm back then was insufferable and not even a bit polite. I did get read the riot act too and still remember the dressing down I got (and deserved)

The audacity appalls me today when I recall some of the boner stuff I did back then and how certain I was that I was correct and the world needed to get with the program.

I survived though, and hopefully have learned a bit since then. (still blushing though)

Janice that reminds me of a funeral service for a life long, and I mean from 6 years old, friend. The minister doing the service knew him well, and lived across the street from him. Here's what he said during the eulogy.

"He was always certain, but not always right."

Never forgot that.

Me too.
Heck, I wish I was half as smart as I "knew" I was back then. Okay, let's put it this way: I met Calder ("the" Calder) and because I had more miles at the helm back then was insufferable and not even a bit polite. I did get read the riot act too and still remember the dressing down I got (and deserved)
The audacity appalls me today when I recall some of the boner stuff I did back then and how certain I was that I was correct and the world needed to get with the program.
I survived though, and hopefully have learned a bit since then. (still blushing though)

Janice, maybe the fact when young one feels invulnerable and knows much more than the oldies is the only way we have the courage to press on and live our lives. If we really knew what the oldies knew, and were truly aware of what lay before us, we might just want to roll up in a blanket and let the world go by.

Actually, thanks to computers and the interweb, the fact young folk can and do find out living a virtual cyberlife is less stressful than real life is creating a whole new mental health catergory. Mainly young men, who won't move off there computer and out of their bedroom to get a real life. I'm seeing it worryingly often these days. It's called social phobia. So...maybe a degree of ignorance is bliss, as the old saying goes. And there is usually more than a speck of truth to old sayings, is there not..?

Back
Top Bottom