vac-u-flush. not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 38'
Took the boat out over the weekend for a few days and the master head toilet has decided to not flush. Bowl fills with water fine. When you press down on the pedal, the ball opens up, some water leaves the bowl, but more due to gravity than suction. The accumulator pump runs, and continues to run, but no suction out of the bowl. Is this typical of a blockage issue? There have been no women aboard for some time (sadly) so I know nothing has gone down the bowl that shouldn't have. Was working great one minute, then not so the next.
I have been extremely lucky (knocking on wood) with this system and have had almost zero issues in the 8 years I've owned the boat.
I did briefly look at the Dometic site for answers, but being kinda lazy, thought I'd reach out to see if anyone could point me in the right direction.

check the duckbill valves.

Might be plugged. If you think it is plugged go to Wal-Mart and get one of these. Then turn off your water, turn on your pump, insert the end into the hole (kinda screw it in) and pump. You will know when the clog goes bye bye. So far it has worked 100% of the time for me. This is a great Vacu-Flush tool to have on board.

0007711511000_P321146_180X180.jpg

Might be plugged. If you think it is plugged go to Wal-Mart and get one of these. Then turn off your water, turn on your pump, insert the end into the hole (kinda screw it in) and pump. You will know when the clog goes bye bye. So far it has worked 100% of the time for me. This is a great Vacu-Flush tool to have on board.

0007711511000_P321146_180X180.jpg

:eek: Yikes! Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good, I guess. Those things can invert the duckbills in a heartbeat, and screw up the vacuum switch, especially on the split systems.

1st open up the duckbills on each side of the vacuum generator. There should be 2 on each side of the vacuum generator. I'm betting after 8 years they need to be replaced it's a DYI job. Otherwise they could have a string wrapped around them.... Either way you must open them up when replacing use soapy water so they don't distort.
Bill

If the pump is continuously running and the toilet is not flushing, its unlikely there is a clog between the head and the accumulator tank.

Is the vacuum pump running more than a minute?
If the duck bills look good then check the holding tank vent. If the holding tank vent is blocked the pump will continue to run because it cant reach the vac pressure setting. Just had that problem on a sailboat yesterday.

Here's an easier way to clear a clog than the plunger above. Turn off the water and the head system pump. Get one of those kid's plunger type squirt gun ("blaster" is one brand). Use it to empty all the water out of the bowl and the compartment beneath the bowl.

Once that's empty you'll be able to see the drain hole in the bottom that's about 1.5" in diameter. That could be where your plug is. If that's it, get a long screwdriver or something to break up the plug. What I use is a large kitchen cooking spoon to remove the plug. Of course that means you can't tell your wife about it and you have to sneak the spoon home and run it through the dishwasher.

If the pump is continuously running and the toilet is not flushing, its unlikely there is a clog between the head and the accumulator tank.

You can have a clog at the outlet of the vacuum tank before the pump. The pump will run since the pressure switch hasn't run up to it's set cut off point. This will explain why the water doesn't drain out of the bowl but the pump continues to run. Where's the Head Mistress when you need her? :)

Why doesn't ever occur to anyone but me....

...that the problem may be as simple as a blocked holding tank vent, creating backpressure that prevents the bowl contents from going anywhere. If the toilet flushes ok the first time after the toilet hasn't been used for a while, it's because the pressure in the tank has had time to dissipate a bit.

That's the FIRST thing I'd check, anyway. If that's not it...

The VacuFlush has changed so little since it was first invented by Mansfield Plumbing in the lates 1970s that the trouble shooting guide--which includes just about every possible symptom, probable causes and cures that the d'd thing can develop is the same for every version/model/year. I've turned it into a PDF that I'll be glad to attach to a reply to an email from any of you who'd like to have one. Email to (my.name) at gmail dot com.

Peggy assuming he has a single holding tank he did say the master head was the head having a problem, not likely if he has 2 heads and a single holding tank. Then again he could have a single head!
Bill

When this is resolved can someone please tell Holland America Lines. As operators of the Oosterdam they`d be very interested.

:eek: Yikes! Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good, I guess. Those things can invert the duckbills in a heartbeat, and screw up the vacuum switch, especially on the split systems.

I have a split system and it hasn't affected it yet. I only use this is I know I have plugged the system.

Peggie has given some most excellant advice....

I have 2 heads and 2 accumulator tanks, one holding. I did try the master head with the pump out cap removed to see if it was the breather, but same result. Forward head works fine. Haven't yet had time to get my "head" into it.

I had a plug up in our aft head. Slow water drainage (very slow) with no vacuum. Forward head was fine. ( single vacuum pump for both heads.) Cautious plunging did nothing. Dumped in half a bottle of CP treatment and let it drain down with the supply water off. Let it sit and 24hrs later it flushed right through with strong vacuum again.

Back
Top Bottom