KVH M5 Antenna - is there a market for this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magicbus

I know next to nothing about Sat equipment but I removed a KVH M5 sat system from my boat and am about to drop it on eBay but they all seem to be new, no used ones. The prices they list for new ones are in the $4K range. Is there a market for used Sat equipment? I also have the Huges receiver and a DirectvPlus box to go with it.

Dave

yes. But it's not a sellers market.

If upgraded to HD, you should be able to get $1k+

I don't suppose you know how I could tell if it is? I presume HD would require multiple LNB's (LNB is the outer extent of my sat knowledge :blush: ) and this looks promising.

Dave

Attachments

• 20140416_155737.jpg
    20140416_155737.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 125
LNB remains unchanged, but tuner must be changed.

I had to send my tuner back to Sea King last year. Cost $300 to upgrade.
Just sold the whole system for $600

Hmmm... You'd think they would label something as HD. The Hughs Network box and the Directv box both say "Plus" but Maybe my wife is right I should stick $199 plus shipping and see what happens and let someone else worry about it.

Dave

M5 is a really good machine. Before you give it away talk to KVH so you can find out about HD (the new ones are HD, I am virtually positive the older ones are too) and exactly what you have. You might be able to get at least couple of thou for it in good condition. Post on the various boating forums "for sale" sections as well as e-bay. The folks at Sailorman in Ft Lauderdale could probably give you an idea of what to ask for it if they were to put it on consignment.

http://www.kvh.com/Commercial-and-O...elevision/High-Performance/TracVision-M5.aspx

Last edited:
I have an M7, and was told there is no upgrade path (for KVH) to HD7. The unit does HD with Dish, and notwithstanding rumors to the contrary, I have easily (and without professional help, other than KVH tech support) configured to Dish.

Thanks for the input. I checked with KVH and it is not Directv HD capable but is for Dish if the software upgrade has been done... which I doubt.

Dave

Both Dish and Direct share the Ku band satellites only Direct has all HDTV on the Ka band. The Ku band has the DTV signalling not HDTV. It would require dual LNA's, a special dish dual band design and separate receivers. The reason Dish can get HDTV is because unlike DIRECT they are on the same satellite band the Ku band.
You should be able to get at a minimum of $2k for the KVH TracVision M5 on DIRECT's 101 satellite their only Ku band satellite.
The KVH M5 is a fantastic unit in my opinion. With the right programming switch and a DISH Ku receiver & controller to point the dish you should be able to get DISH's Ku band HDTV. DISH uses 3 Ku HDTV birds at 61, 101 and 129 degrees.
Bill

Hmmm... You'd think they would label something as HD. The Hughs Network box and the Directv box both say "Plus" but Maybe my wife is right I should stick $199 plus shipping and see what happens and let someone else worry about it.

Dave
If you insist on selling it for $199.00 it will sell immediately I'll even purchase it and pick it up.
Seriously start at $2400 I think you will sell it in a NY heartbeat.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom