Fourth of Juy bad start...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
Woke up on Fourth Of July to find that out Shur-Flo pump sure ain't pumpin'. Removed the pump head from the motor and hooked the motor up to the DC bus, where it barely turned. Got the motor apart, removed the bearings and found that the shaft was bent. Got that straightened out, cleaned up the armature and now need to get new bearings and install the pump head rebuild kit I have been carrying for 14 years. Ain't we got fun?

Attachments

• Shur-Flo pump 001 (1280x720).jpg
    Shur-Flo pump 001 (1280x720).jpg
    91 KB · Views: 98
  • Shur-Flo pump 002 (1280x720).jpg
    Shur-Flo pump 002 (1280x720).jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 105
Sure looks like you've got the workshop right there to do it. I don't want to even know if that lathe happens to be on your boat too. I was once in a 55 ft. Florida Bay Coaster that had a workshop on it, maybe 8 X 10 or so.

Or you could just replace the pump and go boating. ;)

So how does a pump motor shaft get bent?

Or you could just replace the pump and go boating.

Thats what I was thinking!

I would never dream of tearing down a hundred dollar pump and rebuilding it. We carry a spare and half an hour later we would be back in service.

Then a pump goes on the boat shopping list I keep on the iphone.

Seriously, how did the shaft get bent? You're not supposed to flush your clam shells down there.

Sure looks like you've got the workshop right there to do it. I don't want to even know if that lathe happens to be on your boat too. I was once in a 55 ft. Florida Bay Coaster that had a workshop on it, maybe 8 X 10 or so.

When I first glanced at the picture of the lathe It seemed that the three rolls of tape stacked in the background were a Racor filter! I thought the lathe must be in the engine room.
I had a laugh when it dawned on me that my eyes playing tricks!

Or you could just replace the pump and go boating. ;)

I won't pretend to be Ancora but will take a shot at the answer.

1 He's retired
2 He has a well equipped home shop
3 He has the knowledge
4 He has plenty of free time to tinker

I've fabricated and repaired plenty of things that most would just buy for my final assumed reason.

5 Satisfaction of completing a job most folks lack the ability or desire to do themselves.

Agreed - retired.
I thought that was a racor too.
Hope he tells us how the shaft got bent.

Had the almost same thing happen to my anchor winch motor. Rebuilt it while my wife took the helm motoring the ICW to the Keys. Learned to repair electric motors and water pumps in Tech school. Whole story with pictures here:)

@ TheOffice: January 2014

Running a electric motor slow or low voltage will cause the motor to overheat and burn out.
HTH, Sonny

The output shaft of the pump turns an eccentric pressed into the output bearing. I'm thinkin' after so many years of service the eccentric pulses caused the output shaft to bend.

Attachments

• Shur-Flo II 001 (1280x720).jpg
    Shur-Flo II 001 (1280x720).jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Shur-Flo II 003 (1280x720).jpg
    Shur-Flo II 003 (1280x720).jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 73
Some just tinker cause it's in their soul...many will do it the first time....then depending on time, money and outcome...may never do it again...:eek:

Some of us no matter what we are fixing or replacing are doing it at home...no matter where the boat is tied up....:thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom