Name this model

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tillerman

Vessel Name
Pending
Vessel Make
GB 32 - looking to upgrade
Last March, we saw this lovely downeast/trawler/tug (?) yacht at Tahiti Beach, Abaco, Bahamas :flowers:

Anyone know what builder/model it is ?
dreamboat 2 trawler:downeast Bahamas.jpg

Last edited:
The design is by William Barrows, unusual because that's the only design I know of from him, yet it appears a nice boat. She was built by Willard of foam cored glass in about 1977.....

Barrows65.JPG

Good info Tad. So would this vessel be referred to as a Willard then?

So would this vessel be referred to as a Willard then?

Well...It could be. That would probably be done by a broker as the Willard name is recognized. But Willard had it's own line of "Willard xx" that they advertized and promoted. The Barrows boat is a custom one-off.

I wouldn't call it a tug though. To me, tugs have a more rounded front end. Trawler, yes. Down east? Dunno.

Downeast - no
Tug - no
Motoryacht - yes

Kinda reminiscent of a Stephens to me. In fact, that was my first thought.

That is a pretty deep draft craft for venturing into the shallow waters between Lubber Landing and Elbow Cay. I have to watch very carefully in there with Moonstruck.

Just right

I'm surprised she's 65', she didn't seem twice as long as my 32' baby grand :angel:

She really attracted my attention because she combines what I think are the best attributes of 1) a modern sailboat-like hull and large open aftdeck of a downeaster like a recent Lyman-Morse 2) the flybridge and aft deck of a Europa style trawler and 3) the pilothouse of a tug. All in an elegant, low profile and low center of gravity, classic yacht.

If she was built in 1975, the naval architect was way ahead of his time.

Just gorgeous, another one of my dreamboats :thumb:

I'd call her a trawler yacht.

Look at that fish hook in the stem. A CQR most likely. In head seas I wonder how they deal w the water coming up the anchor hawsepipe? Must make quite an eruption on the foredeck.

Nice boat and not overpowered.

Last edited:
This is much more (recreational) trawler-looking:

img_247983_0_e3ed44de38d84b3eaa23cec4e408097d.jpg

"Look at that fish hook in the stem. A CQR most likely. In head seas I wonder how they deal w the water coming up the anchor hawsepipe? Must make quite an eruption on the foredeck."
A can of spray insulating foam is what we use. Keeps the water from squirting up the H pipe and anchor still at he ready able to deploy. Just fill it from the top.

Sailor of Fortune,
Thanks. I guess there is a problem .. but w a quick and simple solution. Always wondered about that.

Mark,
The Gryphon looks pure workboat to me.

"Look at that fish hook in the stem. A CQR most likely. In head seas I wonder how they deal w the water coming up the anchor hawsepipe? Must make quite an eruption on the foredeck."
A can of spray insulating foam is what we use. Keeps the water from squirting up the H pipe and anchor still at he ready able to deploy. Just fill it from the top.

She seems to be running with a bone in her teeth, but the flags are still flying toward the bow. Probably a good ride.

The design is by William Barrows, unusual because that's the only design I know of from him, yet it appears a nice boat. She was built by Willard of foam cored glass in about 1977.....

View attachment 31110

I'm glad you posted this as I was scratching my head. She has little bit of: Derecktor, Hatteras, Matthews, Burger, and Stephens. Of course like art, designers borrow (learn) from others, and apply to their own work.
It must have stayed in the same family for a long time, as usually boats like this would had been customized by now. The salon just calls out to be lengthened doesn't it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom