View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014, 09:41 PM   #79
Delfin
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Perhaps, but the report was in July, so when was the study actually done? And this boat's design seemed to be changing all the time along the way.

The Roddan report was really quite non committal. They were balancing a long term relationship with Northern. It was a rather boilerplate kind of "looks ok so far, recommend you have us check more later." Also who knows how closely the work done followed the drawings. Builders in financial trouble might do a lot of things different than drawn.

I have no idea. All I know 100% is boat rolled, then sank. Then series of comments misleading the public are initiated by the builder. And builder had problems long before this.
Again, the report lists what items were in place, and what were not. Those not in place are few and don't weigh much, so the report gives some insight into what went wrong. It would have been nice if they stated "add 5 LT at point 'x' prior to launch", but NM could have done that with the simple expedient of adding fuel in the belly tanks. But didn't, apparently, and the only reason I can think of why not is because they were at the load limit with the launch gear they used. I have no clue what they were thinking, but as you say, what we can conclude is that whatever they thought or did, it didn't prevent this fiasco.

I read this like any other engineering report - a set of calculations based on what is known with a concrete recommendation on what needs to be done to meet the design objective. This even includes the weight of the stonework which I read someplace was added late in the game and that some speculated contributed to the instability. Since it didn't weigh much and is included in the calcs, it's addition is pretty immaterial.