K cups have changed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bayview

Guru
:mad:I first noticed that my favorite K cup coffee, Newmans own, had gone bad. Kurig customer service claimed no change however a look at reviews on their web site showed recent reviewers also complaining about the change.
I started looking for alternatives and noticed several other coffee brand K cup reviews also complained their favorite was not the same or as good.

If you are a K cup fan consider checking the recent reviews of your favorite brand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't you get beans of your fav, grind them and fill your own K cups? Or buy pre ground and fill them?

K cups.....that reminds me of a girl I once knew that .......

Biggest marketing scheme since bottled water! People used to have an $8.00 can of coffee in the pantry, now it is 25-50 bucks worth of K pods in dozens of flavors.

Used to be water free from the tap, now ti's cases of plastic botttles about .75 a pint.

I thought I knew what a C-cup or even a (cough) D-cup was, I was prepared to be boggled by a K-cup but find it's only coffee! Because I'm disappointed I will admonish you all and assert that we need to stick to boating!

I thought I knew what a C-cup or even a (cough) D-cup was, I was prepared to be boggled by a K-cup but find it's only coffee! Because I'm disappointed I will admonish you all and assert that we need to stick to boating!

This is Off Topic...perfectly suited for discussing many non-boating issues.

I recently received a Keurig as a gift for the house and got a small one for the boat, too. I suffered sticker shock at the price of a cup compared to using drip coffee. Not that each is too expensive at 50-85 cents per cup, but it's like death by a thousand paper cuts. Each one is minor, but after 150-200 cups per month, it's a whole lot of money just for coffee! (Of course, a daily stop at Starbucks is much worse.)

We like bold coffee (regular and decaf) and found some we love from Costco online called San Francisco Bay French Roast. They carry the regular French Roast in the store for 30 cents per cup in 80 count boxes. Online, a box of 160 cups is delivered to your door for $52....33 cents per cup. They also have other flavors online at the same price. These come in little 'baskets' of filter material, not the rigid cups of the typical K cup. They are sealed in bags of 10 for freshness.

I love the convenience and taste of the Keurig system coffee, but I'm not into the fru fru flavors, so having variety is not important to me. On the boat, I was surprised at the electrical power requirements of the small Keurig machine at 1500W! That's more than my water heater or microwave. Only my wife's hair drier can match that power appetite. It revs my little Honda generator to full speed to heat the coffee, but it's worth it and it only last a short while to heat the water.

You guys (and gals) kill me. We got K cup (that girl's in town at the strip joint this week ......so they say) and a drip machine. Each has it's different uses. The one cup and we're done - go K-cup. The drinking of 5 cups per day....like at the office - go with the drip machine.

K-Cups and golf are about the only two high expense items I have avoided in my life. Must be some logic there.

Yeah, but you've got a boat ...

Wifey B: Just feel you dudes need perspective on this as you may lack knowledge of sizing. For example a DDD or F (same thing) has a 6" difference between band and bust size. K has an 11" difference. Now many manufacturers don't follow that rule. So K is like double a DDD almost. I can't imagine carrying them around and have never seen them natural.

Ok, back to coffee. I know nothing about it as I don't drink it.

Biggest marketing scheme since bottled water! People used to have an $8.00 can of coffee in the pantry, now it is 25-50 bucks worth of K pods in dozens of flavors.

Used to be water free from the tap, now ti's cases of plastic bottles about .75 a pint.

+1 ... I'm the odd duck that doesn't drink either coffee OR bottled water.

As a recovering caffeine addict, I have strong opinions on the amount of money people spend on that particular vice. But since I'm WAY outnumbered, we won't go there.

The other day I saw a truck from a famous bottled water company pulling out of a neighbor's driveway.

Our town tap water is tested by the same facility that tests that famous company's water. Ours comes out better.

So, someone in my neighborhood is paying big bucks to have water delivered. Water that's not as good as the stuff they can get essentially for free by just turning their kitchen tap.

Some days it seems like I'm the only one who sees the cognitive dissonance there.

So we are talking about strippers, k cups....and a drip machine......lotta room for questions and confusion....for my part I think I will leave that on the shelf.

As a recovering caffeine addict, I have strong opinions on the amount of money people spend on that particular vice. But since I'm WAY outnumbered, we won't go there." Capt tom.

Ugg, if I am not cremated I will request a thermos of high octane coffee. I started a graveyard shift, went, on a diet and quit caffeine all at the same time. Second night out I was sick as a dog. Headache, so irritable I was lookin for someone to fight...... Started to walk off the job leaving a couppla thousand in tools behind. I told my buddy to hang loose, went to 7/11 did own the street, drank a cup, bought a thermos full. In less than 5 min I stabilized. I was successful in quitting smoking the first try after 12 yrs but caffeine.....nope and I am not gonna try again. Not so bad for ya anyway...not like smoking..quit smoking 40 years ago.

+1 ... I'm the odd duck that doesn't drink either coffee OR bottled water.

As a recovering caffeine addict, I have strong opinions on the amount of money people spend on that particular vice. But since I'm WAY outnumbered, we won't go there.

The other day I saw a truck from a famous bottled water company pulling out of a neighbor's driveway.

Our town tap water is tested by the same facility that tests that famous company's water. Ours comes out better.

So, someone in my neighborhood is paying big bucks to have water delivered. Water that's not as good as the stuff they can get essentially for free by just turning their kitchen tap.

Some days it seems like I'm the only one who sees the cognitive dissonance there.

We don't drink coffee, tea, or soft drinks. As to water, there are a number of components. First, some city waters are better than others. Ours isn't as good as bottled water from a quality standpoint. Bacteria level is higher. Second, there is taste. Bottled water tastes considerably better than the water in our home. Third, when boating we can be sure and consistent with bottled water.

Now, while there are those spending large amounts daily for soft drinks, coffee and tea, out bottled water typically costs us around $0.17 per bottle. Even as much as we drink that's only a dollar a day. Note that we don't drink spring water, don't buy fancy. By drinking bottled as we do, it's easy to carry with us wherever we go, it encourages us to consume a lot. We then are not only healthy but at low cost. All those who speak of the wasted money, I ask if their consumption of drinks in a day is as low cost as ours. We also recycle where possible, do not toss our bottles, and would be glad if there was a deposit added to the bottles.

And just to be more complete, we don't drink beer. However, we do consume some form of alcohol perhaps two or three times a month and since it may be champagne or expensive drinks, there goes all the savings from our water. lol.

So, no apologies for our bottled water. Just an explanation for those reaching conclusions or judgements that just may not apply in all cases.

I have not noticed a change in flavor in K cups. I have at home and on boat. Use Green Mountain, newmans, starbucks, peets. Some if the cheaper brands do taste bad, like instant coffee in my opinion. Someone fave me a K cup that you can put your own grind in, which would allow you to grind and brew you favorite beans and save a lot of money. I threw it away. The convenience of the K cup system to me is a decent cup of coffee, you favorite brand, with no cleanup. If you have to load and then clean up after each cup, why own a K cup machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

If you want a good strong cup of coffee, try Community Coffee, Dark Roast brand, a local outfit out of Baton Rouge, LA, though they sell their stuff up and down the Gulf Coast. They also have those Keurig cups.
My little 4 cup Mr. Coffee makes my 7500 watt home generator spin up like crazy.

Fly: Thanks for the link. My wife likes their French roast but it is too dark for me and too much of the fine grind gets through the filter, but I'll try others. I don't like the fancy flavors either but once I find a flavor I like I want to stick with it. Changing as they did is as bad as changing a good IPA.

Happy: All I can say is that you may not have gotten new stock. I noticed the change when the Newmans went to red top foil instead of gold. Kurigs own web site recent reviews note changes in some of the brands you mention.

To all those who haven't tried it with those single servings every cup is as good as the first cup. If you don't care that's just more money for boat fuel.

Last edited:
As your boat engine(s) sip fuel, so too should you be sipping coffee. Now, whether that's one cup at a time or by the pot full, it's your choice.

Costco Kirkland Columbian coffee 3# about $10, Good coffee, but they have the K cups also.

The little Mr Coffee K-cup brewer on the boat is the only device I've ever encountered that won't run off our 3kw MSW inverter. We have a small drip brewer for that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom