View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014, 12:32 PM   #7
Edelweiss
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce View Post
I'll be buying a 37 Tolly within the next two weeks and I assume I will need to insure it before we move it to it's new morage. So any thoughts on who to insure the boat with? I have already applied for a quote from Boat US. Yes I did search the forum.
I've had Boat US for over 12 years. Rates have stayed relatively stable and no additional surveys, but we live in the PNW, so not a high risk area. They don't demand surveys every 4 or 5 years at your expense like most of the other companies. If they do it's generally in the water and they pay for the survey. Be sure and ask that question when you're shopping insurance. The company I switched from, after no claims in 22 years, began asking for a survey every 3 years at my expense, because the boat was over 20 years old.

I also like that Boat US is very active in the boating community standing up for boaters rights legislatively and they are a strong voice in congress. They produce a monthly members magazine full of many interesting and informative articles. They also offer on line boater training classes and certification for your state boaters permit/license/card. Lot's of support you won't get anywhere else!!