INMARSAT No Mini M service as of 12/14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billylll

Guru
Vessel Name
WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Make
36 Gulstar MarkII
I wanted to install a KVH Tracphone 252 which I understand uses the INMARSAT Mini-M service. I read a notice that as of 12/14 INMARSAT will no longer be providing this service? Is this a geographical issue that won't effect the US? I'd want to use it on the AICW and possibly further south? Has anyone else heard this? Are there any users on the board using the KVH Tracphone 252 or the Mini-M service? Have you received this notification? I have a Fleet Broadband Skipper 150 but the rates are not worth it for me unless there is a pre-paid service for the Fleet 150 service. I would only want this in case of an emergency as in there is a hurricane and all local communications are down.
:banghead:Any help or insight would be appreciated.
Bill

I wanted to install a KVH Tracphone 252 which I understand uses the INMARSAT Mini-M service. I read a notice that as of 12/14 INMARSAT will no longer be providing this service? Is this a geographical issue that won't effect the US? I'd want to use it on the AICW and possibly further south? Has anyone else heard this? Are there any users on the board using the KVH Tracphone 252 or the Mini-M service? Have you received this notification? I have a Fleet Broadband Skipper 150 but the rates are not worth it for me unless there is a pre-paid service for the Fleet 150 service. I would only want this in case of an emergency as in there is a hurricane and all local communications are down.
:banghead:Any help or insight would be appreciated.
Bill

Bill

I have a KVH mini VSAT unit on my boat. I called KVH a couple of weeks ago and asked who's satellites they use for this service.

I was told that KVH leases transponder space from a variety of satelliite operators in order to fulfill there service level agreements.

If the system you are considering installing has service end of life issues, perhaps KVH mini vsat service would would work for you.

I have both a Fleet Broadband unit the Skipper 150 I know this is still supported however I also have an older KVH Tracphone 252 that I would prefer to activate I heard a rumor INMARSAT isn't going to be support the KVH Tracphone 252 but again I could have this confused with something possibly concerning the Mini-M service which the 252 may or may not work on.
Bill

From the SatPhoneStore

Known end of life schedule for Inmarsat services:

Services terminated June 30, 2013
Large Antenna Mini-M (aka LAMM, aka Provident, aka GAN - originally set for termination December 31, 2012 but extended until June 30, 2013)

Services terminating December 31, 2014
Inmarsat-M (aka Standard-M). Replaced by Fleet Broadband 250/500.
Inmarsat D+ (Position reporting - i.e. Satamatics, Older Polestar DSAS MK 1 Purplefinder ). Replaced by IsatDataPro (aka IDP used in new Polestar DSAS MK II Purplefinder) .
All land versions of Mini-M (Mini-M had 4 antenna types: Marine, Portable, Provident, and Voyager). Replaced by BGAN.

Services terminating December 31, 2016
Inmarsat-B. Replaced by Fleet Broadband 250/500.
Inmarsat Mini-M Marine. Replaced by Fleet Broadband 150 and Fleet Phone.

Services without termination dates
Fleet-77 (Although no official termination date has been set, the new I-4 and I-5 satellites do not support Fleet-77 technology, and the I-3 satellites that do support Fleet-77 are expected to start failing well before the end of 2018 (a function of fuel consumption). Inmarsat is recommending users migrate off of Fleet-77 by the end of 2016). Replaced by Fleet Broadband 500.
Inmarsat-C

Service accreditation
Fleet Broadband 500 terminals only are expected to receive GMDSS certification toward the end of 2014 (Before Inmarsat-B service is terminated). FB250 terminals may or may not get certified at a later time and FB150 likely never will.

More here: Inmarsat Mini-M is EOL. Which Inmarsat Products will Replace it?

From the SatPhoneStore

Known end of life schedule for Inmarsat services:

Services terminated June 30, 2013
Large Antenna Mini-M (aka LAMM, aka Provident, aka GAN - originally set for termination December 31, 2012 but extended until June 30, 2013)

Services terminating December 31, 2014
Inmarsat-M (aka Standard-M). Replaced by Fleet Broadband 250/500.
Inmarsat D+ (Position reporting - i.e. Satamatics, Older Polestar DSAS MK 1 Purplefinder ). Replaced by IsatDataPro (aka IDP used in new Polestar DSAS MK II Purplefinder) .
All land versions of Mini-M (Mini-M had 4 antenna types: Marine, Portable, Provident, and Voyager). Replaced by BGAN.

Services terminating December 31, 2016
Inmarsat-B. Replaced by Fleet Broadband 250/500.
Inmarsat Mini-M Marine. Replaced by Fleet Broadband 150 and Fleet Phone.

Services without termination dates
Fleet-77 (Although no official termination date has been set, the new I-4 and I-5 satellites do not support Fleet-77 technology, and the I-3 satellites that do support Fleet-77 are expected to start failing well before the end of 2018 (a function of fuel consumption). Inmarsat is recommending users migrate off of Fleet-77 by the end of 2016). Replaced by Fleet Broadband 500.
Inmarsat-C

Service accreditation
Fleet Broadband 500 terminals only are expected to receive GMDSS certification toward the end of 2014 (Before Inmarsat-B service is terminated). FB250 terminals may or may not get certified at a later time and FB150 likely never will.

More here: Inmarsat Mini-M is EOL. Which Inmarsat Products will Replace it?

Thanks that's what I have been reading.
I'm told the Fleet 150 will continue to operate without GMDSS certs. I don't
need the GDMSS certs on a vessel my size, however the FB rates are in my opinion astronomical.
Bill

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom