Composite Dinghy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Last Tango

Vessel Name
Last Tango
Vessel Make
Ocean 40 + 2 Trawler Yacht
Any recommendations for a composite or lightweight FG dinghy that can take a 15 hp? 10-12'.

I like the little 12 foot Alumicraft T-12 but it's only rated for 10 hp.

I've been thinking about building one of these, but again limited to 10 hp.
Why 15hp.? Do you already own the engine?
Fast Garvey 10 - Study Plans
GV10_350.jpg

The "lightweight" part is where the problem lies.

If you could handle the 200+ lbs of a 10' Livingston, I think that would be a good choice. Stable with lots of interior space and a 20" freeboard.

BTW, u make it to Pickwick yet?

The "lightweight" part is where the problem lies.

If you could handle the 200+ lbs of a 10' Livingston, I think that would be a good choice. Stable with lots of interior space and a 20" freeboard.

BTW, u make it to Pickwick yet?

The 10' Livingston will only take up to a 9.9 HP outboard....I believe, as that is what they discuss on their site, although only in vague terms.

As a recent purchaser of a new Livingston 10', c/w 9.9 Yamaha and a seawise davit system, I would be happy to discuss this with anyone interested, via PM.

Conrad

I didn't know whether the 10HP max. was based on average weight or on HP stress itself. It seems like since the 4-strokes came out, weight became a big factor in dinghies and in some cases more so than HP rating. Might be interesting to find out if a 15HP 2 stroke would be acceptable on the Livingston 10'.

I just decided that it might be a little heavy for my boat even though I don't know for sure. The 9' would have also served me well except for the 10" freeboard.

I was thinking about soft bottom inflatables again and a 12 footer came up on craigslist and I nailed it.

Conrad

I didn't know whether the 10HP max. was based on average weight or on HP stress itself. It seems like since the 4-strokes came out, weight became a big factor in dinghies and in some cases more so than HP rating. Might be interesting to find out if a 15HP 2 stroke would be acceptable on the Livingston 10'.

I just decided that it might be a little heavy for my boat even though I don't know for sure. The 9' would have also served me well except for the 10" freeboard.

I was thinking about soft bottom inflatables again and a 12 footer came up on craigslist and I nailed it.

Good points; ours is a 4 stroke 9.9 which is the Livingston recommended motor for their 10'. But if you have 400 pounds or more in the dinghy you cannot plane; there is more than enough power but the motor (propellor actually, I guess) cavitates.

And there is a huge difference between the 9' and the 10'.

It's coincidental to me that this topic should come up now. For the last month or so I have been hot to trot for a new dinghy as witnessed by my other posts on here and 3 or 4 other forum sites.

I have a new 9.8 Tohatsu and that will be fine for any dink that I was looking at. Planeing is nice but not essential. My priority is more about weight, physical size and the ability to carry myself +3 more adults. No matter how hard I looked, I kept getting back to soft bottomed inflatables. Not very roomy, but I can legally shuttle and play with 3 other adults - like when my kids or the admirals kids come by to visit.
Oftentimes, the dink is more fun than the Mainship.

Check out Highfield 3.1 meter (10 ft.) aluminum hull inflatable. 95 lbs. and carries 4 adults.

Everything looks great. Except..........................When they don't publish a price it's usually because they are afraid of scaring people off. Guess what? It worked!
the old adage probably applies here: "If you have to ask for a price, you probably can't afford it:.

Thanks for the link though.

sometimes I wonder if I should just carry 2-2 person (but the smaller kind) kayaks and develop a 2x6 cross brace system to rig a small outboard and a panel to carry cargo.

I could manhandle each one, bolt/strap on a couple braces and a small engine and have a 4 person dingy with carrying capacity....or just have 2 nice kayaks for the day at anchor where people want to come and go.

Any recommendations for a composite or lightweight FG dinghy that can take a 15 hp? 10-12'.

Probably depends on what you mean by "lightweight."

In any case, I think Walker Bay makes a lighter version than the 10'2" 135-lb model we have.

-Chris

I have a 10' bullfrog tender - aluminum hull but looks like a regular RIB. 15 hp four stroke. Rows well too. Rated for 3 adults plus gear though although quite sturdy and stable. I carry on electric Lester Davits. I like its toughness.

Thanks both,

Aluminum would be fine.

Yes, I just bought a new 15 for my old deflatable.

I am also considering building one of plywood.

Sorry for the delayed response. Cruising down the Tenn Tom and signal is occasional.

Thanks again

I am guessing weight is the limiter on these dingy's but what is the limits to carry something a little bigger like a Flats boat is it size?

I always had an eye for these tango's.ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1404939577.670563.jpg

That's a cool looking boat. I like the aft sponsons for buoyancy and easy planing.

What make of boat is that?

Thanks.

To all others, when I replied earlier from my iPhone, I only saw the two responses, I now see that there were several. Thanks all. I have some internet surfing to get busy on..

That's a cool looking boat. I like the aft sponsons for buoyancy and easy planing.

What make of boat is that?

Thanks.

To all others, when I replied earlier from my iPhone, I only saw the two responses, I now see that there were several. Thanks all. I have some internet surfing to get busy on..

It's called a Tango Skiff.

Here's a pretty skiff with a practical motor well....

Attachments

• thor_beach.jpg
    thor_beach.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 152
That Tango is an interesting boat. It looks like a challenging build. I didn't like the looks at first but as I read the reason for the design, it started to look better. Form follows function.

My first post here but this was interesting reading as a lurker, and I also love the Tango design, In fact I ordered the plans and scaled them down and made a miniature 12" version of it from those plans, out of poster board just to see how it would all go together and it was just perfect after I put it together with scotch tape. Wish I still had it to share. I have not taken on the real version yet.

Nice job Doug! Now go buy the plywood and start cutting. You already know how to build it.

All it needs now is a scale V-rod off the back! :D

What are the specs on this dink, mainly max passengers, max HP and dink weight and length?

Never mind, I found it on the internet under tangoskiff.com

I just looked at the 13 and it wouldn't work for me. Too bad, it's a really cool looking boat.
500 lb capacity is too limiting. That's only 2 adults, small O/B and gas tank and only 1 can of beer. I'm sure it would work well for others though.

Last edited:
I've been considering an aluminum Duroboat. Duroboat - The World's Finest Aluminum Fishing Boats I haven't seen one in person, but have read of others having these and they seem to like them. They moved the factory from Seattle area to Tennessee. I hope they come to some of the East Coast boat shows.

Chris
Tortuga
KK 42-125

CW,
Duroc Boats didn't last long in Alaska. Didn't hold up as the story goes. Take another look and consider Lund, Crestliner and others.

Back
Top Bottom