Family from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Sylvain

One you might want to look at is the Bayliner 32. I know it's not considered a real trawler by the hard core aficionado's but they're a pretty sturdy basic boat with two cabin layout. My buddy has the 38' version and it's been a good boat for him and his family.

Bayliner 32xx.com

They can be had for a reasonable price and the models with the Hino diesels are reliable and relatively economical to operate.

I know someone in Canada with a 40' Canoe Cove for sale. The boat is in Ontario, and has an aft cabin with a cockpit. So, it could be the best of both worlds. The owner is mechanically inclined, and the boat seems in top notch shape. If this is something of interest to you, send me a private message. I will give you their contact info. They are just great people.

Sylvain,

As for the boat suggestion,take a look at the Marine Trader 34. It's available in multiple configurations, made for years, family friendly, multiple price points and certainly rewards DIY owners.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into that - I was originally thinking something a bit bigger, in the 40's, but I won't know until I see it.

I would love to do a trip like the one you describe in your link. How long did it take you? Was the 34-footer big enough for the three of you? We are four, but they are still small now. I could find something a bit smaller and perhaps with more universal appeal, fix it up and sell it for the asking price of the next boat.

Hey Sylvain

One you might want to look at is the Bayliner 32. I know it's not considered a real trawler by the hard core aficionado's but they're a pretty sturdy basic boat with two cabin layout. My buddy has the 38' version and it's been a good boat for him and his family.They can be had for a reasonable price and the models with the Hino diesels are reliable and relatively economical to operate.

People often poo-poo Bayliners, but I like them. I can understand how some may feel a mass-production boat builder equates to lesser quality, or javex bottle designs. But, I think they make a pretty good product at a pretty good price. It's similar to the origian Volkswagon. I'm no expert on Bayliners, I've only been on one once, but I'm all for a builder that helps remove the financial barrier to getting out on the water.

I know someone in Canada with a 40' Canoe Cove for sale. The boat is in Ontario, and has an aft cabin with a cockpit. So, it could be the best of both worlds. The owner is mechanically inclined, and the boat seems in top notch shape. If this is something of interest to you, send me a private message. I will give you their contact info. They are just great people.

Thanks Moonstruck - yes, I will be in touch with you. I'd be happy to take a look and get some more information.

Wow, this forum and its people are great. Thanks so much!

You might want to check this one out Sylvain. I'm familiar with the owner. The boat is extremely well cared for.

Searching for C-Shels: 1989 Tollycraft 34 Sport Sedan For Sale

That's a nice looking vessel. But, I think I want to stay away from gasoline engines, if only for the fuel consumption.

I am undecided on the single vs. twin and how critical thrusters are for me. I'm not sure how feasible ($$) it is to add thrusters, bow and/or stern, if they are indeed critical.

That's a nice looking vessel. But, I think I want to stay away from gasoline engines, if only for the fuel consumption.

I am undecided on the single vs. twin and how critical thrusters are for me. I'm not sure how feasible ($$) it is to add thrusters, bow and/or stern, if they are indeed critical.
I agree on the gas engines. Twin 454's will suck it up quickly if you want to put the hammer down. If you just want to putter the Rideau it's not that big a deal.

Thrusters aren't critical. If you can't handle a boat they won't make you a good boat handler. If you're a good boat handler they'll make you a great boat handler. Twins are easier to handle than a single screw once you learn how. Retrofitting a thruster is a job for pro's and can be pricey.

I prefer diesel myself on the other hand as observed if you cruise at hull speed, around 6-7 knots fuel consumption is low irrespective of engine type. Another factor is where you cruise, for example the loop of Montreal to Kingston and back via the Rideau canal and Ottawa river, gas is available at almost all marinas, diesel not so much! Diesel engines are safer and have a longer service life. OTOH replacement or rebuilds are more costly than gas engines.

Forget about adding thrusters - not in your budget for sure. There is a nice 2005 Mainship advertised on this forum as opf June 29 which might be worth a look. Enjoy the search.

Enjoy the search!

Greetings,
Mr. t1. There are several threads dealing with the "economy" of gas vs. diesel and IF you're mainly cruising the canals, it may not be such a bad idea to seriously consider gas power. As Mr. SK mentions, if you're "light on the foot" and are willing to "putter about", gas may be a viable option.
The boat posted my Mr. SK shows really well AND it is a fresh water vessel. ER looks clean and organized which is MY main criteria for judging the care and maintenance of a boat. Shallow draft and low height for bridge clearances. How about that nice big cockpit for the kids? 1200 hrs is quite low as well.
MANY more mechanics are familiar with marine gas engines and depending on the diesel you might pick, parts and service for the gas might be more readily available and cheaper.
Thrusters? Even with a single, not worth the $$ IMO. The single engine handling learning curve is pretty steep and twins????? Quite maneuverable.
With any vessel you may be considering, ask to see maintenance records.

Choices, choices!

The gas vs diesel question is a tough one. We have a single diesel (Cummins 330) and love it so I suppose I'm biased, but I don't know one boat owner with diesel(s) wanting to go back to a gas boat. Plenty of them the other way around, though. We get about 3 NMPG at 7-8 kts cruise, most owners of gas twins tell me they get around 1 at the same cruise.
A bow thruster on a single engine boat is great, it can get you out of trouble in a windy, tight marina etc, but it's not a must-have. I try not to use it unless I have to, because one day I'm sure I'll hit that button and it won't work! A few years ago I replaced the original rudder with an articulated one, and that improved the handling of the boat enormously. Almost like adding a stern thruster, without any maintenance issues.
So many choices, Sylvain, but as you said previously, the boat you get will be
the one you both fall in love with right away. Took us 5min after stepping aboard to decide this was the right boat for us.

Nick

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into that - I was originally thinking something a bit bigger, in the 40's, but I won't know until I see it.

I would love to do a trip like the one you describe in your link. How long did it take you? Was the 34-footer big enough for the three of you? We are four, but they are still small now. I could find something a bit smaller and perhaps with more universal appeal, fix it up and sell it for the asking price of the next boat.

Sylvian,

34' is too big when trying to pull into a slip and too small when bouncing around in 5-7 footers off the Jersey coast. It was just the right size for us 3 and the canals. We never had stay-over guests during the trip - but plenty of visitors. There were enough places for us to get together when we wanted to and enough places to hide when we were sick of looking at each other. 2000 was one of the rainiest summers on record. After a few weeks we just locked through in bathing suits. It was also one of the coolest so we didn't miss the air conditioning.

At 34' we were almost always the largest boat on the canals and yet were just small enough to get into the smaller marinas and through some of the tighter and lower areas that larger boats would have to give a miss. There are a few spots on the Rideau that if she was 34.5' I don't think we would have made it. The MT is so funky and friendly that everyone stops to chat, offer to help, give rides, translate, find free dockage, gave Yacht club invitations. Larger boats - not so much. Bicycles on the flybridge were also a great ice breaker and got us at least one free night's dockage.

It took way longer to plan the trip than take it. Planning started in December and we left on July 5th (late as usual). We had to be back by September 1st for the start of middle school. We had postponed this trip since 1993. Lots of things had to fall into place one of which was our daughter had to be old enough to understand it and not old enough to hate it.

Yeah we planned on selling the boat when we got back. Good luck with that one. It would be like selling your mother. Every time I mentioned it everyone broke down in tears. Eventually I stopped. We'll be buried in her.

The trip changed all our lives. My wife went back to the re-insurance company as the woman who "sailed around the world". Her book of business is Ocean Marine - and she actually understands it. My daughter went to college in the town she liked so much on the trip, Troy NY. I have heard that the trip has been the topic of numerous essays and themes. (not that I every saw one) I spent a year as a Yacht Broker (never again) and taught hands-on boat handling. Yeah me - the clown who would do anything not to have to dock in front of a crowd. I also had a lot of good stories for the USCGAUX boating classes I taught for the next 10 years. My career did take a hit. Not that I minded - I'd still rather be plotting the day's course than designing software. I just have to keep the whole "trip" thing on the down low. The geeks don't get it.

Wow. It's been 14 years and it's just yesterday. We retire in a year or so and we are going to start retirement with another trip. Then we're going to sell her. For sure.

Last edited:
On the diesel vs gas - I think I am much more leaning towards diesel, but I could be swayed if a gas boat came along that was otherwise perfect. I think I'd just like diesels a try, if nothing else. Not many at my marina have them, but those who do swear by them.

Al - great story - I love hearing stories like that. Trips like that put everything back into perspective. I am so envious and will work on getting a similar one under our belts.

We spent the night on our boat at the marina last night - it's a bit cramped, but still nice. This morning, after a pancake breakfast, we headed out to a nearby island and spent about half the day on the beach, fired up smoe hotdogs on the grill for lunch and then headed home with a sense of peace that only boat-people get to know.

My Admiral is a little less sure about investing in a bigger boat, so our purchase my have to wait a little - I think that once she gets aboard a few, she will have a better sense of what size can do. Then again, we could very well keep what we have and still be quite happy with it.

A real marine toilet would be nice, though ;)

Hey Al, good meeting you last weekend at Riverside. funny how you run into people on this forum from time to time. If you find yourself over there again stop by (except during August, we'll be in the Chesapeake.
John

This crane was able to pick up 14 tons or so.

img_248647_0_948f807197d673d47f03d40a836208cb.jpg

Actually real marine toilets aren't that much fun either...

lol, that's also true.

We currently have a simple marine sanitation device (MSD) / porta-pottie which, while simple, is a bit of a pain to lug around and empty...often. I always feel a little odd when I'm on my way to disposing the materials - walking along the docks with what looks to bit a rounded plastic suitcase, but believe me, it's no suitcase. :lol:

Greetings,
Mr. t1. Portable toilets are illegal in Ontario. Visitor Information - Transport Canada Just sayin'

Not quite illegal, they need to be connected in such a way that they can't be taken off and dumped (like I do). I should have a through-hull connection and vent setup, but haven't done it yet.

In my defence, I actually live and my marina is on the Quebec side of the Ottawa River, so in principle, that regulation doesn't apply.

Your point is timely - as that MSD modification would probably help sell my boat if I do it in advance...otherwise I'll have to limit my market to the Quebec boaters or uninformed others....;)

Greetings,
Mr. t1. Well, if plumbed to a deck fitting and fastened down as per regulations they aren't portable. There are numerous threads dealing with potty regulations in various parts of the country. Good to know the regulations if one is ever boarded by overzealous LEO's. If a portable device is legal where you are I don't think it would be necessary to alter your installation for a sale. Save the $$ for the new purchase.

If a portable device is legal where you are I don't think it would be necessary to alter your installation for a sale. Save the $$ for the new purchase.

Good call on the $ - from the research I've done so far, looks like I'll need every penny! :eek:

Hey Al, good meeting you last weekend at Riverside. funny how you run into people on this forum from time to time. If you find yourself over there again stop by (except during August, we'll be in the Chesapeake.
John

Nice meeting you too. Good to put a face to a name.
Only a year or so more and I'll be joining you on the Chesapeake in August. I guess I'll need to install A/C. A small price to pay.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom