Sticking Fuel Solenoid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquabelle

Guru
My Yanmar 20hp genset engine has a sticking fuel solenoid. It is a 12v, two-terminal pull-in type, (1520-12D6U1B2S1). When trying to start, the engine cranks but doesn't start as the solenoid's plunger doesn't retract...until I give it a sharp tap with a spanner. Then the bellows-type rubber-booted plunger retracts and all is well.

So....a few questions. Is there anything I can do as a non-mechanic but happy DIY-er to eliminate this sticking behaviour? Could a competent auto electrician service the fuel solenoid or must a new one be purchased? Are there generic versions of these solenoids or must I find & purchase a Kohler/Yanmar original model?

thanks or any comment or advice

Sometimes the solenoid plunger gets a bit rusty and sticky. Try cleaning up the plunger with a small wire brush or Scotch Brite pad. Lubricate with a bit of engine oil, wipe half dry with a bit of cloth and put back together.
Make sure the electrical contacts are clean and bright. If that doesn't do the trick, it's time for a new solenoid.

Mark Richter

I have solved a similar problem with a squirt of WD 40. At other times I have replaced the solenoid; they are not very expensive and a simple job to perform. Good luck. Howard

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom