Volvo TMD31A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaylic

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
KASSIE
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen Manatee
New to us Manatee, we are learning systems. Not sure what RPM range is the best. I've been staying around 2800 @ 6+ in 2' chop. Bottom is dirty and will be hauled on the 8th, actually having bottom job at Osprey. Would love some feedback, maybe some photo advice from Healhustler.
Regards
Bob
KASSIE
Manatee #93

We run @ 2700, gives us 7 knots in still water.

I run at only 2200 with my TMD40A and that gives me 7.2 knots on average.

I had a pair of tamd31p-a engines in a 28 ft sport fish. I had them equipped with pyro and boost gauges and could always exceed rated wot so as to never overload them. I actually found they would drop a 150 degrees on the exhaust temps when run a bit faster, but my rpm ranges would be very different than yours given hull styles. Those engines were not a conservative build and very sensitive to any perceived overload. My two engines had 3 rebuilds in a very short time, the first failures in the first 500 hours. Volvo had helped the original owner with some cash on the first failure, but would not support me at all as the warranty was just up. We finally figured out that the piston failures were a result of bad oil cooling nozzles, per volvos own admission. Volvo tried to hide the oil cooling nozzle issue, so the dealer would just replace a piston, the symptom, but would leave the bad nozzles in the rest of the cylinders until they failed too. Not all the nozzles were bad, some we're not drilled deeply enough and would just dribble instead of a healthy cooling spray. The cylinders with bad nozzles would eventually fail. After paying a metallurgist to cut apart the hoop stressed pistons, the cause was finally verified. When we showed Volvo that the problem originated under warranty and they failed to fix properly, Volvo blamed the dealer. To this day, I bet your local dealer can't find the Volvo bulletin that names the serial number range that was impacted by the bad nozzles. It's old enough it never got into their electronic system, it's paper only. So the dealer blames Volvo and Volvo does nothing. If your engine happens to be within that range, you will want to baby that engine. It's a good thing you are in a displacement hull, it might be an easy enough load to never stress those pistons like my sport fish getting up on plane.

This is why I will never own another Volvo anything. Support matters as much as the engineering.

Thanks for the replies, looks like I'm in the ballpark.
Bob
KASSIE
Manatee #93

I feel 1/2% of ur pain on customer support! mine is a very small issue compared....March raw air conditioner pumps. For a company that sells their parts by the Troy Oz you would think Volvo would....ahh well.

Back
Top Bottom