Winch problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
One of the winches on the boom for the dinghy has just started to act up, running intermittently and now has ceased to function altogether. I can hear the solenoid a clicking when the remote control buttons are pressed. I cleaned the leads that bring power to the winch with no result. A colleague has suggested I put a volt meter on the leads to see if I am getting power to the winch. Will check that when I dock. Suggests I might be able to replace the brushes, otherwise it is replace the winch. I have a dog on the boat and need to get her to shore, so anchoring is not an option until this is fixed. Got Any suggestions? Also suggestions for service/parts/replacement in the Port McNeil/Port Hardy BC areas.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

My money's on the solenoid. Try bridging the large contacts with a screwdriver and see if you get the motor running. If so, you can undo the rivets and clean the large contacts with Emory or a file or similar and either re-rivet or use screws.
Good luck!

1. Try an alternative power source to rule out connections leading to the motor

2. Jump solenoid and switch as mentioned, but I'd use a remote start switch instead of a screwdriver.

3. If it's still intermittent, can you remove the motor and have it rebuilt at a starter/motor rebuild shop locally?

Ok. Will look at it when I get to the dock. I hear something clicking when I push the remote buttons, but felt it was coming from where the receptacle is for the remote switches.

Jim

Ok. Will look at it when I get to the dock. I hear something clicking when I push the remote buttons, but felt it was coming from where the receptacle is for the remote switches.

Jim

What kind of winch and /or what kind of solenoids? Are they the round metal case kind or black plastic relay sort?

My winch for the first time in 2 years was finicky the other day. Opened up the relay box as the out worked but not the in...head a faint clicking when try to work "in".

It was just a cheapo Harbor freight ATV winch...but the inside of the relay box was squeaky clean and dry...just the plastic surround to the outgoing hot lead was cracked and the lead a little loose. Tightened the lead and all has been fine for the last week.

Thanks all. Still steaming to the dock so won't be able to look at it for a bit. Here is a photo...
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1404262712.463067.jpg

Jim

Got a portable jumpstart battery pack to hook up?

We have the same type of arrangement with 2 motors/solenoids, one for the boom and one for the hook. If you have a similar set-up, try switching the solenoids around to confirm whether it is indeed a solenoid problem. Replacement (Rule) motors are only available as swap-outs from a California company.

Don't fuss with an old winch. I just replaced the winch on my davit with a Warn 2000 lb. winch for $89 from Northern Tool. Check their website. Hardly pays to knock yourself out fixing the old. Howard

Is the Warn winch rated for lifting and does it have a brake? Many winches are only rated for towing and specifically indicate "not for lifting". That was why we replaced with the expensive Rule aftermarket replacement. These are also rated for 3,500lb lift. Perhaps it was not necessary??

Okay. When the "down" button is pressed, the volt meter indicates the winch is getting better than 12+ volts, so I think we can rule out a solenoid problem. The dinghy is perhaps 300 lbs. I'm going in to Port McNeil and will try and arrange someone to look at it.

Jim

Last edited:
Chrisjs,
You "raise" an interesting point, and one that concerned me as well. The manufacturer of my davit (Nautical Structures) recommended this particular winch to replace the original winch which is no longer made. The manual says it is a pulling winch but, it does not have any warning or disclaimer about not lifting. My thought is that without a specific disclaimer about lifting, that it would be fine. Actually it is not lifting in my case. It is pulling a cable down the length of a davit arm. The cable goes over a pulley to create the actual lifting force. Of course, nobody stands under the dinghy (11' Boston Whaler with a 25 hp engine--660 pounds) while it is being raised or lowered.

As to your second question, it is self braking with power in and power out. It did require some heavier wiring. So far, it works just fine. The model is a Warn 2000 Utility Winch part #92000.

What ever you decide to use, don't ever stand under a lifted load.

Chrisjs,
You "raise" an interesting point, and one that concerned me as well. The manufacturer of my davit (Nautical Structures) recommended this particular winch to replace the original winch which is no longer made. The manual says it is a pulling winch but, it does not have any warning or disclaimer about not lifting. My thought is that without a specific disclaimer about lifting, that it would be fine. Actually it is not lifting in my case. It is pulling a cable down the length of a davit arm. The cable goes over a pulley to create the actual lifting force. Of course, nobody stands under the dinghy (11' Boston Whaler with a 25 hp engine--660 pounds) while it is being raised or lowered.

As to your second question, it is self braking with power in and power out. It did require some heavier wiring. So far, it works just fine. The model is a Warn 2000 Utility Winch part #92000.

What ever you decide to use, don't ever stand under a lifted load.

You have to get into the larger more expensive winches to have the positive engagement (brake) to be involved with lifting.

While I understand the concerns for lifting live loads or overhead loads....what most of us do with the mast, boom and winch is of such nature that the danger from no positive engagement seems to be way less than me trying to handle 2 separate blocks and tackles (the way many boats come OEM) to handle even a 100 pound outboard without dang near killing myself.

So the winch motor has been "remaned" and is now working. There were a number of broken parts inside, including the brushes. The gears inside the winch have been greased and the working parts are far less noisey. I will grease the gears on the other wich. I suspect the lack of lubrication caused excessive strain on the motor. The gentleman who rebuilt it, an old time guy, said he has used the last of the parts he had available.

I think that's the best solution for now, as I don't want to have to set about re doing the winches in the middle of our cruising itinerary.

Jim

:thumb::thumb:

Thanks for the update. Glad you up and winching again.

Maybe the other one can be rebuilt at your convenience when you get home.

The folks at S3 Maritime in Seattle recommended the following replacement for my Rule winch:

https://www.warn.com/industrial/hoists/DC1200.shtml

The suggested using Amsteel cable to replace the SS cable.

Jim

We have the same hoist. Last year, after to many meat hooks, we replaced the wire with Dyneema. Very easy to splice. When the life lines need replacing, I'll use the same. :)

Instead of metal wire that rusts how many folks have switched to spectra line for their dinghy hoists?

I haven't gone to it yet but I am considering using one of the synthetic lines this year instead of SS line, when I re and re the winches.

Jim

Got all the wire rope off my boat - Amsteel.

If your winch is not self-braking it is an issue if you have to leave the controls for any time, the load will succumb to gravity and can be a damn nuisance, if not a hazard.

Good advice but so is that a 300 lb dingy and motor probably will not cause even the cheapest of Harbor Freight winches to slip...at least that has been my experience with several of them.

An update on the Rule T33S winch that failed last summer (this thread). I took the other winch, same type into "Brighouse Electric" for a check to see if it needed "remanning". It was fine. The fellow said they were certainly able to redo the winch if necessary. Someone had mentioned there were no longer any spare parts and the technician said there was nothing special with them and they could reman them if required. Brighouse rebuilds/remans alternators, starter motors and winches and the like. That's all they do. So if your winch motor fails, take it into an alternator place and see what they can do with it.

Jim

Here's a another follow-up to this thread. The winch motor failed again. Same winch, same motor. I took it to Brighouse electric and they cleaned it up again and put new brushes on. Corrosion was the issue. Evidently they can still source the brushes for this winch, as they are identical to other winch motors they work on. So, although there has been comments that these motors can no longer be repaired, that is not the case as of this date.

Jim

The folks at S3 Maritime in Seattle recommended the following replacement for my Rule winch:

https://www.warn.com/industrial/hoists/DC1200.shtml

The suggested using Amsteel cable to replace the SS cable.

Jim

The Warn DC1000 Short Spool directly replaced my Rule 3300 mounted inside my Brower Davit. Just needed to relocate my mounting holes. My dinghy is about 800# so the DC1200 might be overkill for you. But... overkill is good if it fits.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom