Windlass problem...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FF wrote:If you need to replace the unit , look at the US made IDEAL.
Having had 8 boats since 1995 and Ideal, Maxwell, etc windlasses, my present Muir is the best so far. This damn thing is bullet proof!

Attachments

• muir on seahorse.jpg
    muir on seahorse.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 117
  • muir.jpg
    muir.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 187
This damn thing is bullet proof!

The problem is eventually everything has an end.

Many IDEAL use a Chebby auto starter motor as the power.

Easy to get rebuilt locally bu any auto-electric shop.

The cost is so low a spare could even be aboard.

SeaHorse II wrote:Having had 8 boats since 1995 and Ideal, Maxwell, etc windlasses, my present Muir is the best so far. This damn thing is bullet proof!

*I note in the photos that your Muir windlass has a capstan drum on top, yet the hawsepipe is built in to the body of the windlass as it is on my Lofrans Progress 1.* What in the dickens is that capstan drum used for?* How do you use it?* I'm gobsmacked.* I am even considering taking this dude off and replacing it with a horizontal Ideal--at least I understand that unit.

Chris491 wrote:What in the dickens is that capstan drum used for?* How do you use it?
My answer is* I don't use it!* Were I deploying 2 anchors (the second one having all line rode) it would be used for that purpose. I think of the capstan as a "winch". Retrieving anything (people?) from the water, "warping" the boat against a strong wind to the dock, etc. If needed, it can be a very useful tool.

You may want to check this site out for a better explanation. | Capstan Winch

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Tuesday 14th of September 2010 11:45:00 AM

Chris491 wrote:What in the dickens is that capstan drum used for?* How do you use it?

Walt's Muir is no different in concept and function than the horzontal Lofrans we have on our boat.* The line gypsy has all sorts of uses.** We use ours to break out our anchor with the trip line if we have to back it out from under logging debris or if it simply buries itself too deep to break out in the normal way.* When we were figuring out which windlass to get to replace the big no-name horizontal windlass that came with our boat, I read a testimonial about the Lofrans from a charter skipper with some sort of big sailboat in the Carribean who uses the line gypsy on their Lofrans to raise the foresail (the Lofrans is a pretty fast-turning windlass).* And so on.

As Walt said, a powered line gypsy can be a very useful tool even if you don't use it to actually deploy and retrieve the anchor.

Attachments

• tigres.jpg
    tigres.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 125
i have the same Lofrans as marin. I use 200 ft of chain backed by another 200 of nylon line, so the drum hauls in the line, then change over to the gypsey for the chain.
Hauling speed is 1 foot per second,as is lowering. I have also used the drum to retrieve the prawn traps. reduces backache.

Some windlasses have a wildcat that can accomodate both chain and line. The wildcat on the Lofrans we have can't do this, hence the separate line gypsy. But the nice thing about a line gypsy is that you can "play" the load depending on how many wraps you take around the drum, which is something you can't do with a dual-purpose wildcat.

Back
Top Bottom