Hi from Vancouver/ French Creek bc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jay 1975

Vessel Name
Pride&joy
Vessel Make
Romany
Hi
Just wanted to introduce ourselves and our boat. We have worked our way up over the last five years from a 12' aluminum with a 9.9hp to a larger aluminum to a bow rider to a 20' searay with a cutty to out latest acquisition that some May argue is ugly but we fell for as soon as we saw it it is a 1968 Romany 21' round bilge fisherman.

I am not certain that it qualifies as a trawler but would like to have someone more knowledgeable than me weigh in on it.

It originally came with a perkins 4-107 when it came to us it had a 4-108 it has a top speed of 8 knots. Likes to cruise between 6-6.5. I am going to attempt to get a picture up and if it is not a trawler what might it be considered?

Picture of our boat

It needs some work

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 323
Welcome Jay!

Sure - call it a trawler.
I like it.

Dude, I think it is cool!

We think it's pretty cool too! With a little work my and creativeness we could set it up to spend a weekend on around the gulf islands.

I have made contact with the builder he is in Poole England. He just found the same model and restored it as well.

Welcome from Squamish. We're moored for an extra long weekend at Centre Bay on Gambier Island.

We just met up with some friends up at halkett on Sunday. Until we move to french creek it is in burrard inlet. We will be out watching the fire works this evening.

This is how the interior was originally. The cutty is quite large. Has a head. So it should not be to hard to set up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 159
Looks nice perhaps if your handy extending the cabin back into the cockpit would give you additional interior room? It looks pretty neat the way it is...
Bill

Nope, you're out of luck Jay ;).....not a Trawler rather a "Fast Fisherman" according to their advertizing........of course the "Trawler Yacht" term hadn't come into popular use back in 68..... :D

The Romany 21 has been a favorite boat for many years, I think since I first saw them advertized. Surprisingly I believe there is at least one other in BC, it has Isuzu power (perhaps 6 cylinder?) and a towpost, used to be around Ladysmith.

Amazing they mention 18 knots, which seems unlikely with the stock engine......Oh and don't expect the advertized 47 cents per hour cruising.....

Romany21.JPG

Ah I see.....Aussy your link shows two (Or perhaps 3?) separate hulls. The 8 knot round bottom with full keel and bilge chocks. And the high-speed vee bottom with inboard (no keel) or inboard-outboard (as they call them now, outdrive). That's a neat trick.

It is definitely a beginning.

Welcome from Pender Harbour, we are right across from you. I like your boat, lots of potential. Martin Marine in North Van has a spool of that Manila rope to put around your gunwales.

They actually had 3 different 21' models. They had a an inboard displacment hull ,they had a inboard planing hull and a planing hull with an outdrive. I am going to try to get the brochure loaded.

On a different note I did email tad this morning regarding his berry point 26

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 306
I tried to post a a pdf of the brochure but i think someone has to approve the file.

In light of mine being full displacement does that make it a trawler now or just a slow work boat?

At any rate we feel it is pretty cool boat and are about to embark on a lot of work to get her back ship shape. starting with cutless bearing and packing to get it ready to make the trip over to french creek.

Post approved. After 10 posts, no problem with your links.

Nice boat! Have fun with the restoration. Love the rope rubrail! Or is it line?

Welcome aboard, neat boat!

One of the other models

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 188
Qelcome Jay, you'll find a lot of friends here :)

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa
Sent from my iPhone, using Trawler Forum

Xsbank do you know of a place in vancouver that would be likely to stock a a variety or 1 1/4" cutless bearings?

Great Boat, always admired these boats. Good luck and enjoy.

John

Try Martin Marine or Sidney Boater's Exchange (not in Vancouver). Wolffe Marine usually has that sort of stuff too.

Hi there, I actually own this boat now. Has a fresh 4.108 and rebuilt gear and will be out of the water next week for a two month cosmetic and structural overhaul. From the photos I see posted it looks like not much has changed between it being in your hands and mine at the start of July. Awesome boat in the weather! Super stable and fun. cheers from Victoria

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom