View Single Post
Old 07-01-2014, 09:43 AM   #43
refugio
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
FWIW, the vessel looks longer than 36' to me. I don't have any objective basis - it just feels larger - at least 40'.

I can see the appeal - it does have nice lines, and some professional attention has been lavished on it in the past. But then there's the staggering neglect.

The engine is an anomaly - if you demonstrate it running, then yes, it would have value. If it's not running, then the value isn't likely to be significantly above the effort to remove it.

IMHO, the cost to properly dispose of this vessel would be on the order of $20,000. I know nothing about local conditions in Greenland - the steel might have some scrap value, the electronics might net you a few hundred dollars to even a thousand if you have a market for used electronics as spares. My gut feel is that Greenland is like Alaska - everything is damned expensive and folks just throw stuff away and buy new. With the short season to do anything on a boat, there just isn't time to screw around with stuff. You apparently have time, but then this would also be your window for making money like you're doing with the metal building. If you're anticipating this as a winter project...

But the real expense might come with the hazardous and toxic materials on the boat. Insulation? Contaminated fuel & oil? And what's that witches' brew in the bilge. I'm sorry, but properly disposing of this could cost you thousands of dollars.

Disposing of this boat where it sits is likely to be very challenging. Everything around it appears to have a much higher standard of, well - everything. Are you really thinking that the boat next door is going to let you light a torch without first setting up spark protection? Perhaps you can find an inexpensive place to move this boat to, but getting it there could cost thousands of dollars itself.

I'm sorry, but I look at this and all I see is liability - and not just in "boat units" of $1,000, but in tens of thousands.
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote