Hola from Houston/Cincinnati/Seattle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kfish26

Vessel Name
Tillicum
Vessel Make
Hershine
Hey guys/gals,

Figured I'd introduce myself! I'm 23, about to graduate college and possibly about to become a trawler maintainer/boater. I go to school in Cincinnati (go bearcats), work in Houston (down here for the 3rd semester) and will most likely be here full time after I graduate, while the boat is in Seattle.

My grandfather owns a 1980 Hershine 37 out in Seattle but due to some unfortunate health problems with his sailing partner he isn't able to go out much anymore. He's been talking about moving the Tillicum down to Galveston/Houston area (right by my work) so it could get more use. I have been on many trips with him but need to learn A LOT about maintaining a trawler. My family in Ohio has had a 21' speed boat most of my life so I am not unaware of many of the expenses but still much to learn!

I was wondering 2 things: Are there any comprehensive guides online that work as an introduction to boat ownership and maintenance (just the general stuff about things I'd have to worry about)? Secondly, anyone here from Houston that can give me an idea what the boating is like down here in the Gulf? My only experience on the trawler is in the PNW (wish I was moving out there for work...).

Sorry for making the post so long, hope everyone has a great week!

These will get you started.

Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems:Amazon:Books

Marine Survey Online: Buying, Owning and Maintaining Boats and Yachts

And there are lots of people on a number of different boating sites that will be happy to answer any specific questions you may have along the way.

While I've delivered a couple of boats to Texas, I haven't done any real cruising there so others will have to answer that question for you.

Greetings!

Where abouts specifically are you in the Houston area? I'm on Clear Lake and would be happy to help out with info about the area. You can shoot me a PM if you'd like.

Cheers,

Bren

Cheers! Good luck:). It is pretty pricey to move a boat that far but if grandpa is willing to do it jump on it:). Good luck!

Being from the Seattle area however I would say get a new job and leave the boat in the premier cruising destination where she belongs:)

Cheers! Good luck:). It is pretty pricey to move a boat that far but if grandpa is willing to do it jump on it:). Good luck!

Being from the Seattle area however I would say get a new job and leave the boat in the premier cruising destination where she belongs:)

My grandpa is very supportive of me with school and work so I think he just likes the idea of paying a bit for me to continue using it than selling a boat he has put many years of work into.

Trust me, I would love to move to PNW as soon as possible. It is actually the back up plan if the job down here falls through. Unfortunately, my life-long dream job happens to be where I am now in Houston so if I get a full-time offer I won't be able to say no!

Welcome aboard. We have Sangria Nites and our new (to us) Hatteras 58 yacht fish down in Galveston in the yacht basin.

Back
Top Bottom