Looking at converting this fishing boat: advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twirk

Veteran Member
Hey All!
I'm new here. Thanks for having me. I am a bit of a DIY guy and love boats and fixing them up.

This steel boat has recently come up for sale, I know the guy who is selling it and I am going aboard to look at it tomorrow evening. I have no information about it yet, apart from the picture I have attached here. It will be interesting to see it and hear about it tomorrow.

If I purchase it, the plan is to convert it from a fishing vessel to a pleasure boat.

Any advice for a first time steel boat buyer? what to look for, be aware of? Questions to ask?

Attachments

• 2014-06-24 17.57.00.jpg
    2014-06-24 17.57.00.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 230
  • 2014-06-24 18.02.23.jpg
    2014-06-24 18.02.23.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 229
Last edited by a moderator:
Corrosion, corrosion, corrosion. You have to measure the thickness of the steel that's left on the hull; being a fish boat it will have a high-time engine. Plan on a total rebuild of everything, depending on how "yacht-like" you want it to be. I have a friend who rebuilt a 65' wooden seine boat - he was into it for over a million Canadian. He kept the hull and the engine, built a new aluminum superstructure and rewired, re plumbed, everything. He was very knowledgeable and experienced and is a commercial captain.

Good luck! Just expect the worst.

I wonder why this vessel reminds me of the fishing boat in "the perfect storm"?
Bill

Thanks Xsbank . Thickness of the hull. I'm not sure anybody in town has an instrument to measure this, but I will ask around. I have a friend who used to survey ships on the Faroe islands. He might be the guy to ask.

Thanks Xsbank . Thickness of the hull. I'm not sure anybody in town has an instrument to measure this, but I will ask around. I have a friend who used to survey ships on the Faroe islands. He might be the guy to ask.
I would find out if the vessel had a recent survey that included checking the steel that makes up the hull's thickness. If nobody in town can do this I'd find someone before I made any offer on this vessel.
Bill

Tracked down two guys who can measure hull thickness. One, my friend, is on vacation. The other I have yet to contact. Hope he is in town.

Contacted the other surveyor who happened to have surveyed exactly THIS boat. What luck!

He was willing to share all the info with me because I was interested in the boat as a pleasure boat, not as a commercial interest.

He said they found no hull corrosion. The hull is 9mm thick all around (original hull thickness). Which he said is sufficient for a personal vessel.

He said the interior is a different story. There is a fair bit of corrosion in the ribs/frames (not sure what you call them in English) and the wood interior would probably all need to be gutted.

This boat has been used in the arctic and I think the cold has caused lots of condensation. Probably why the interior is in such bad shape.

He said that as a commercial prospect his company was not interested in it nor is anybody else. And that is why it's on land, it's to expensive for anybody to bring up to commercial arctic specs (if I understood correctly, the hull must be thicker for fishing ships). However it would do fine as a pleasure boat. " just don't ram icebergs or rocks with it" something I was planning to avoid anyways ?

SO! I'm goin to look at the ship today with more informed eyes now. Feels good.

P.s. he had no information on the engine.

Last edited:
Well that's a better starting place now that you talked to the surveyor who checked the vessel. I would still go into this vessel with open Eye's meaning don't let emotion drive you to purchase it. If it's of no value as a fishing boat what makes you think it has much value as a converted pleasure cruiser in it's current condition?
Bill

At least you have long winter nights to spend working on it. You will need them.

Just to say I am not against doing this as I am doing the same in a minor way, just don't expect it to be easy or expect to be doing anything else for a year or two or more. Evaluate your own skills and resources. Just because she's not going fishing, remember she will carry you and your family and friends in some scary waters so she still has to be seaworthy.

I advise against it unless he is paying you a lot of money to take it off his hands. Most marina and many yards do not like project boats, and you need a loooot/boat full of money to throw at it. My advise is to run.

How long is the boat, what is its draft and displacement? Engine model, age, HP, hours and general appearance? Same for genset. What are your cruising plans, entirely separate from THIS boat? What kind if budget do you plan for acquisition and commissioning and later for fuel/ maintenance? Will you need a loan on the boat and will you be insuring it? Have you ever built or rebuilt a smaller boat?

Rehabbing and converting a boat this size is a mammoth undertaking. For comparison, Pooh is fiberglass, 46', 16 tons displacement with 80hp diesel. We spent 9000 man hours and over $50,000 in parts and materials over a period of 5 years to rebuild and convert. Hope you have patience, some relevant skills and a fat bank balance.

On the other hand, if this boat is close to the boat of your dreams, few things are more rewarding than completing such a project and cruising in her. Alas, many boatyards are littered with the abandoned hulls of dreamers who underestimated the size of their project. Don't even think about selling out your project halfway through. It will be worth little more than scrap value until launched and functioning. Do the labor intensive work first; sanding and painting inside and out, rebuilding wood interior. Save the cash intensive parts to last; engine, genset, instruments and electronics.

Waiting with bated breath for results of your first look aboard.
Mark Richter

By the way, she has great looking lines. Take some great pix to share with us.

When I built my boat, once the hull was done and flipped I thought I was nearly done. What an idiotic thing to say. Getting the house, interior, systems and propulsion done was 80% of the work. Hull building was like 20%.

So starting with a good hull with trashed interior is starting at a pretty low point. More work especially if you keep some systems and structure, and work around that to add new. Or add the work of gutting and removal of systems and structures.

Make rough estimate of project cost and duration, then triple both. If you can tolerate that, maybe project is a go.

Consider just fixing what is necessary to make it comfortable and seaworthy, and drop the idea of making a yacht out of it.

Seen many of these projects start with big dreams and end up abandoned at 25% completion when reality hit.

Not trying to dissuade you, but to get your eyes open.

With rust in the interior of the hull & ribs I would beat feet and not look back. Rust never rests and if you don't get all of it removed and the steel that is compromised replaced it will continue to spread. If you have a never ending supply of $$$$ and energy and the required skills then try to estimate the time required to rebuild this boat then double or triple it, because no project like this goes as planned and you'll find a lot of surprises along the way most not good. Good on luck on whatever choice you make.

I advise against it unless he is paying you a lot of money to take it off his hands. Most marina and many yards do not like project boats, and you need a loooot/boat full of money to throw at it. My advise is to run.

Rust NEVER sleeps.

Bringing back a rusted hull (and you indicate interior is worse) is not a job for a single guy. It's a job for a boatyard that can put a team of men inside and outside and "get her done"

And that takes money. Not a small amount either.

Side note: I was born and raised aboard a 40' steel vessel, built by daddy. When I say rust never sleeps, believe me. Hell, it doesn't even take afternoon naps!

And boats rust from the inside, not outside.
Yours is.

All that said, now there is a miracle compound called Corroseal -- (spelling is probably wrong) that is used to seal the rust and prevent worsening. You'll learn lots about it -- price it now.

Ditto all supplies -- including your sweat.

Interior is big -- very. No one wants to live in a construction zone. And time estimates are ALWAYS optimistic.

As much as I might want a steel hull, not that one. In my opinion that is.

But, if you do go ahead and do it, there will be those cheering you. It should tell you something that the fishermen DO NOT WANT HER. Those guys know boats and use them. If their wisdom says "no" you perhaps should avoid the boat.

It is sad to see the potential wasted, but the work involved is far more extensive at first glance. The question then comes down to:

Do you want to boat, or do you want to fix a boat?

You actually have the value of the boat, Zero.
If no one is willing to buy it, why should you?

If it's not salvageable for fishing, do you actually thinks the sea knows what you are doing on the boat?

For a fraction of what you will end up spending, you can come to the US or even Nova Scotia and there will be dozens of boats that will do just what you want, that you can actually use immediately.

I'd even help you bring it back to Greenland.

Good luck, but be more skeptical.

You actually have the value of the boat, Zero.
If no one is willing to buy it, why should you?

If it's not salvageable for fishing, do you actually thinks the sea knows what you are doing on the boat?

For a fraction of what you will end up spending, you can come to the US or even Nova Scotia and there will be dozens of boats that will do just what you want, that you can actually use immediately.

I'd even help you bring it back to Greenland.

Good luck, but be more skeptical.

What he said. These type (project) boats you don't buy, owners or yards either give them to you for free, or pay you to take away with promise never to return. Whatever your choice of style or make, they're available.

I am very grateful for all the sound advice! Thank you.

I have experience building, welding and restoring, also over a long period of time. My dad and I are completing a large three story 1500m2 (in all) steel framed building. It's taken approx. 3 years and we've built it from the ground up.

I've also completely restored a locally built 19' open fiberglass boat.

I should hope that my experience would allow me to complete a task like this one, large as it is.

I'm definitely not set on buying this boat. All your comments have definitely given me food for thought and I've taken all the skepticism to heart.

I'm not sure what the asking price is but I've been told it is low. Perhaps 4000-6000 USD. I'll find out this evening.

I'll take loads of photos for you guys.

Space to place the boat will be no problem. Boating is built into the culture here so there are boats lying around town everywhere. It will either cost me nothing or next to nothing to have it on land.

The stories of first hand experience with steel boats is exactly what I was hoping for.

All very good comments. Thanks so much!

Just for reference, I am not shooting for a perfect yacht and have no specific long trips in mind yet. Most boats here are more utilitarian and used for hunting and fishing and that is what I'm used to. I think I'm in this for the project, something to keep my hands busy. Also the idea of having a boat at the end of this which I could sail long distance if I wanted.

And yes it would be such a shame to let this potential ship be wasted. But maybe I'm not the man for the job.

A few of you mentioned that if it's no good for fishermen then it's no good for me. Although it might not quite be that simple. The problem for fishing ships here are they are out in open sea year around, in ice filled waters. The surveyor said to bring it up to commercial fishing standards they'd have to add some more steel to thicken the hull (or replace with thicker steel in the bow) for ice reasons. Fishing ships take a hell of a beating here.

People don't really have yachts here nor are many people equipped to restore/rebuild a boat this size. Most boats are small fast going fiberglass boats. Get out fast, get home fast ?

Just jumped off the boat. It does not look good. It was quite sad to see actually. I took plenty of pics which I'll post later for you to comment on.

The engine room on the other hand is another story. Pretty much all the installations are new. And what seems to be a brand new Perkins m215c diesel engine.

Asking price for the whole shebang is approx. 2700 USD.

When I'm back home tonight I'll post more info and pics.

Twirk,
Mate if you have 9 mm hull thickness and you think you can cut and replace any rusted ribs and frames at $2000.00 it could be a good project.
OK no ice breaker, but that is not the objective.
Don't over capitalise . Like you stated make it fairly spartan but comfortable.
The engine , gen set if in reasonable condition are just a bonus.
Just ensure that any steel work you do on the inside, all rust is removed , any other rust is blasted and coated.
Sounds like you may know a bit about steel work so why not go for it.
Look forward to the photos.
Cheers
Benn

twirk as long as you go into this with you mind and eyes wide open I guess you could make it happen? Are you stuck on wanting a steel hull? I'm pretty sure you can find an alternative boat in better shape perhaps one that won't need this level of rebuilding and still come out financially better than if you attempt to restore this fishing vessel into a private vessel. I'd pass but I don't have the skill set to weld or work with Steel.
It sounds like the boat bug has bitten you I would suggest looking at other vessels that would require less work. If your looking for a hobby and it's rebuilding near wrecks this is the boat for you. If you are looking for a decent vessel to make into your dream cruiser this might not be the correct vessel? Only you can answer these questions.
Bill

Just jumped off the boat. It does not look good. It was quite sad to see actually. I took plenty of pics which I'll post later for you to comment on.

The engine room on the other hand is another story. Pretty much all the installations are new. And what seems to be a brand new Perkins m215c diesel engine.

Asking price for the whole shebang is approx. 2700 USD.

When I'm back home tonight I'll post more info and pics.

I kind of think that you have made up your mind to do it, reading between the lines. If I had your knowledge and skills, and you say that no problem with having a place to work on it, I might feel that way also.

We wanted to do something similar but were scared of steel.
It's just too much work to stay on top of the rust. It's very difficult to effectively rustproof the interior of an existing hull (with engine, systems, fittings etc.in place). Everything needs to come out to do the job properly.

We converted a fibreglass fishing boat with an alloy wheelhouse, adding a cabin to the work deck and accommodation forward. Still a big job and we went 30% over budget and will never get the money back. But after 10 years, it doesn't matter so much as depreciation has pretty much flat-lined.

Helo Newcomer

In the distant past, I have been around steel boats.
I am not going to write a lot about it but, if the main corrosion problems are inside, get the hell out of there!!!

Okay folks,
I took so many pictures, I don't even know where to start.

So here is the story. The ship is built in Norway. It was purchased and brought to Greenland in 2008. The ship had a temporary one year fishing license. After which the owner had to have ribs and steel replaced/reinforced to make it commercial spec. He did not do so and lost the license. Some years later, the current owner purchased it thinking he could use it for commercial fishing. He never did. One year ago, it was placed on land and has been sitting there ever since. Several people have looked at it, all interested in using it for commercial fishing. None have come back.

The warf (there is only one), gave a quote of approx. USD 110,000.00 to replace/renovate the ribs and only the front part of the hull. (The warf here is INSANELY overpriced. If you ever sail to Nuuk, Greenland plan your repairs elsewhere).

Now the current owner lives abroad and basically just wants to get rid of the boat cost what it will. Which is why my offer of USD 2700 is being accepted (I had put an ad in the Greenlandic Craigslist equivalent asking for a project boat for a max. price of USD 2700 and the seller of this boat contacted me).

I do not have all the details of the ship yet, because the seller was supposed to email me boat documents this evening, but I guess it will be tomorrow.

The specs I do have:

• Length: 12,5 meters
• Dry weight: 27 tons
• Engine: Perkins Sabre diesel, M215C

I can say one thing. All you folks who said "interior rust? RUN!" are right about this one. I have deemed this boat un-salvageable. The interior steel hull was downright disgusting. And after much consideration this evening, I've pretty much decided it's no task for me. I don't see how it's possible to save it. If you think otherwise by looking at the photos please tell me.

So, now the question is: should I buy the boat, rip out anything of value and sell the remaining hull as scrap?

Everything in the engine room is updated and looks very new and shiny. I need to have a mechanic come look at the engine to confirm what shape it is in. It has not been running for at least a year.

I think I'll let the photos speak now.

Here is the bow cabin and rusted ribs and hull behind the wood interior.

Looks bad doesn't it?

Attachments

• 2014-06-30 18.21.49.jpg
    2014-06-30 18.21.49.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 2014-06-30 18.26.21.jpg
    2014-06-30 18.26.21.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 2014-06-30 18.21.37.jpg
    2014-06-30 18.21.37.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 2014-06-30 17.15.34.jpg