Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I wasn't building AXE then I'd probably doing something like this to bide my time LOL ...

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Last edited:
Hi All,
Been a busy month full of wins which is a nice change :dance:

Pics of current progress

Cheers

Hendo :thumb:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 114
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 122
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 121
Wow, Matt, you have been a busy fellow…looking great. Hey it's even getting bigger as you go, have you noticed that..?

Matt - You get AXE too big... you'll spend half your time chasen Flic down in cabins while on the hook! - LOL

Good on ya Mate... progress is a sunny, pretty word!

I really love the look of this vessel. Having no fly bridge is a huge plus in my opinion.
Very nice...
Bill

I agree totally. With decent design, you have the best of both worlds from a lower helm or pilot house. Flybridges require so much extra duplication of everything, for little gain in my view. That Integrity 380/440 is a lovely craft.
You then have all that lovely top surface for solar panels, water collection, radar/radio tower, etc, and still minimal issues getting under bridges.

Yeah, yeah, I know - there are folk who drive 95% of the time from up there. That's fine, you just keep doin' what you're doin', ok..? But when the goin' gets rough…you better have a lower helm...

Matt - You get AXE too big... you'll spend half your time chasen Flic down in cabins while on the hook! - LOL

Good on ya Mate... progress is a sunny, pretty word!

Lol mate there will be chasing but it'll be beer chasing the garlic and chilli olives down my throat on a 45 deg day lololol.

I really love the look of this vessel. Having no fly bridge is a huge plus in my opinion.

Very nice...

Bill

Thanks Bill. I love it too mate. Except mine will have black sides and white cabin, not all white.

I agree totally. With decent design, you have the best of both worlds from a lower helm or pilot house. Flybridges require so much extra duplication of everything, for little gain in my view. That Integrity 380/440 is a lovely craft.

You then have all that lovely top surface for solar panels, water collection, radar/radio tower, etc, and still minimal issues getting under bridges.

Yeah, yeah, I know - there are folk who drive 95% of the time from up there. That's fine, you just keep doin' what you're doin', ok..? But when the goin' gets rough…you better have a lower helm...

Yep will be putting 8 x 200W solar panels on that hardtop.

Yo, Matt - Maybe I missed these answers in 1061 posts - Wow that is a lot o' cool posts with more ta come! :socool:

1. Gross weight (3/4 loaded) you anticipate for AXE?

2. Draft you anticipate AXE to have?

3. Cruising hp your engine could provide Axe?

4. AXE's bottom (not yours or Flic's - LOL) calced at D, SD, or P?

5. Average cruise speed and top speed anticipated?

Please, don’t answer some or any of these questions if you don’t feel comfortable at this stage of your unbelievable restoration... I’m just being grand-stand inquisitive as you come around the corner toward the back stretch in this horse race where you are the Jockey, Flick is your trainer, and Axe is the power horse you own that is running out front by many, many lengths! :speed boat:

Never look back mate... whisper to that soon to float pony as you and Flic ride her hard toward finish. Then splash her well and cool her down right... she's gonna be pride of the fleet for many years of Pleasure Boat Cruisen! :thumb:

Your Boaten Chum - Art :D

Last edited:
Yep will be putting 8 x 200W solar panels on that hardtop.

WOW! 1600 watts. I wonder if that is enough for a DC get home motor?:)

Run a nice heater or two for those sunny but chilly-temp days! :rofl:

Charge the liven heck into a big battery bank!

Light 16 100w lamps to keep all cabins bright!!

Perk coffee... fry bacon/eggs... charge all sorts of appliance self contained batts...

Self energize an ample sized DC get home motor - I duno?? Well charged big batt bank with 1600w ongoing solar-charge would shure last for long time before depletion... even if the DC motor used over 1600w!

What say ya Matt???

Yo, Matt - Maybe I missed these answers in 1061 posts - Wow that is a lot o' cool posts with more ta come! :socool:

1. Gross weight (3/4 loaded) you anticipate for AXE?

2. Draft you anticipate AXE to have?

3. Cruising hp your engine could provide Axe?

4. AXE's bottom (not yours or Flic's - LOL) calced at D, SD, or P?

5. Average cruise speed and top speed anticipated?

Please, don’t answer some or any of these questions if you don’t feel comfortable at this stage of your unbelievable restoration... I’m just being grand-stand inquisitive as you come around the corner toward the back stretch in this horse race where you are the Jockey, Flick is your trainer, and Axe is the power horse you own that is running out front by many, many lengths! :speed boat:

Never look back mate... whisper to that soon to float pony as you and Flic ride her hard toward finish. Then splash her well and cool her down right... she's gonna be pride of the fleet for many years of Pleasure Boat Cruisen! :thumb:

Your Boaten Chum - Art :D

Hey brother.
Happy to answer ones I have an answer for. No secrets here but as you know mate, this build is a just do it and see what happens with no plans so I can only guess with the information I currently have.

Weight - When she was rolled she weighed 4.5T. I anticipate her doubling that so around 7T but 9T max give of take.
Draft - probably around 1.5m incl keel
HP -120 Perkins Diesel.
I think she will be Semi Displacement. Definitely not a planning hull that's for sure.
Operational speed range will be between 6 and 15 knots with an estimated cruise at 8 knots
She'll carry 850L of freshwater and 850L of diesel and 110L toilet tank.

Hope that helps set the scene for you my friend :)

Lol nah just have a lot of batteries I want to keep charged. I'd rather over capitalise with charge capability and run the batteries 3/4 - 1/2 charge than run them flat and run the risk of shortening their life span.

We will be on a swing mooring so no shore power so need to be self reliant to an extent. Maybe I can gut it down to 6 x 200w but I've had in my head 8 panels since day one. Time will tell.

Cheers mate
Matt

Run a nice heater or two for those sunny but chilly-temp days! :rofl:

Charge the liven heck into a big battery bank!

Light 16 100w lamps to keep all cabins bright!!

Perk coffee... fry bacon/eggs... charge all sorts of appliance self contained batts...

Self energize an ample sized DC get home motor - I duno?? Well charged big batt bank with 1600w ongoing solar-charge would shure last for long time before depletion... even if the DC motor used over 1600w!

What say ya Matt???

Lol yeah big batt banks mate.

All lights are LED incl the engine room downlights so no big draws there. More of reserve/redundant battery power supply mate.

Bit of overkill but I'd rather have too much than not enough :) ... Kinda like a nice Merlot or Cab Sav. More is better :-D

From memory of the pics over time I'd say if SD (at a point just beyond FD) was 0 and planing was 100 AXE should fall in at about 65 to 75. Way too much rocker to class as planing but considerably closer to planing than anything resembling displacement. Also the chine width or beam reduces aft but not much. The cross section amidships is noticeably larger than at the transom. There may be enough rocker to bring the bow up above hull speed .. not sure how much. The hull stretch will be a blessing in pitch stability and efficiency from 8 knots to about 15. Above 15 you may not be able to see over the bow. So plan on a slightly high wheelhouse or placement well fwd. I see AXE running very nicely at 11 knots. How well she runs will now be dependent on how light she's been built and her hull is not light but she still could be no heavier than a typical plastic boat. But all the "stuff" that comes aboard from here on will be a negative .... performance wise. If I were Hendo I'd be trying to get most of the heavy "stuff" amidships avoiding fuel tanks aft and water fwd. A small WT fwd should be fine and a smallish fuel tank aft that is used first would be OK depending on how small. These ideas are all guesses of course.

From memory of the pics over time I'd say if SD (at a point just beyond FD) was 0 and planing was 100 AXE should fall in at about 65 to 75. Way too much rocker to class as planing but considerably closer to planing than anything resembling displacement. Also the chine width or beam reduces aft but not much. The cross section amidships is noticeably larger than at the transom. There may be enough rocker to bring the bow up above hull speed .. not sure how much. The hull stretch will be a blessing in pitch stability and efficiency from 8 knots to about 15. Above 15 you may not be able to see over the bow. So plan on a slightly high wheelhouse or placement well fwd. I see AXE running very nicely at 11 knots. How well she runs will now be dependent on how light she's been built and her hull is not light but she still could be no heavier than a typical plastic boat. But all the "stuff" that comes aboard from here on will be a negative .... performance wise. If I were Hendo I'd be trying to get most of the heavy "stuff" amidships avoiding fuel tanks aft and water fwd. A small WT fwd should be fine and a smallish fuel tank aft that is used first would be OK depending on how small. These ideas are all guesses of course.

How about widely separated trim tabs underneath in mid section or toward end of hull extension (maybe could be "built into special recess areas) so tabs are flush with extension's bottom plane?? Or, onto the very rear end of hull extension with special fastening apparatus?? Just an idea!!

Bennett Trim Tabs work well on our Tolly. Saves fuel, increased speed; trims boat foward and aft as well as Port to Starboard. Makes up for any add-on weights or people seated weights.

Last edited:
Art,
Under special circumstances trim tabs are helpful. I've never seen them attached to anything except the transom stern junction line. Possibly they could be of value on a multi-stepped hull on an aft step.

The best route to good trim is usually through good boat design and weight kept centered in the boat. One of the great advantages of inboard boats. Keeping weight amidships prevents or reduces squatting, bows burying, directional stability issues (especially on following seas) and sometimes pounding. The effects of lots of weight in the ends are subject to inertia. Once a boat is set in motion turning and yawing, plunging ... stopping that motion can be difficult because of inertia. Once a boat starts to yaw on a following sea the sea AND inertia tend to continue the yaw .. the motion that can result in a broach. One needs a big enough rudder to overcome the weight and resulting inertia.

Last edited:
Art,
Under special circumstances trim tabs are helpful. I've never seen them attached to anything except the transom stern junction line. Possibly they could be of value on a multi-stepped hull on an aft step.

The best route to good trim is usually through good boat design and weight kept centered in the boat. One of the great advantages of inboard boats. Keeping weight amidships prevents or reduces squatting, bows burying, directional stability issues (especially on following seas) and sometimes pounding. The effects of lots of weight in the ends are subject to inertia. Once a boat is set in motion turning and yawing, plunging ... stopping that motion can be difficult because of inertia. Once a boat starts to yaw on a following sea the sea AND inertia tend to continue the yaw .. the motion that can result in a broach. One needs a big enough rudder to overcome the weight and resulting inertia.

In instances "momentum" seems maybe more applicable... at least as the last word.

Trim tabs are pretty useless on D hulls, but SD and P hulls can well make use during higher speeds for trim adjustment, fuel savings, increased speed. I would think that recessed trim tabs (so when closed they remain flush with bottom surface of hull extension) could provide benefits. I feel they would need to be placed toward/in approx the last 1/3 rear of bottom secton. Trim tabs off transom on most boats simply become flush (even with a little upward angle) with bottom plane when in fully up position.

Last edited:
Os sonhos so sao bons quando se tornam relaidade. E obvio que os teus estao tornando-se uma realidade muito bonita e eficiente.

Abraco

Fernando

CONGRATULATIONS - DUDE AND DUDETTTTT!!! Another milestone toward SPLASH...!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom