View Single Post
Old 06-27-2014, 07:25 PM   #10
CPseudonym
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCHAB III View Post
Thank you all for the well wishes. I agree this will be the fun part. We do plan to do the "Loop" soon and as we decide on a boat we may actually look for that "particular one" on the Great Lakes or East Coast to save on shipping. Actually, I had the thought that we could kind of do the Lewis and Clark thing in reverse. Cruise up the Columbia and the Snake to Lewiston Idaho and have it shipped to the closest navigable section of the Miss. or Mo. Rivers and into the Great Lakes from there. Anybody ever do that?

Dave
No however that is part of our loosely forming plan going forward. We live in California and our original plan was to buy something akin to a Krogen 42 or DeFever 48 and follow Larry and Lena's wake down the coast and through the Panama canal. We purchased a cheap "starter" boat to help put feathers on the dart that was "our plan" and love it so much we see little or no need to up-size significantly if at all.

We can easily fabricate a tri-axle trailer to haul our 10 foot wide boat on the road. With 10' air draft there are precious few bridges we need to open on the water. 3' of water depth is not too much to ask for and in reality we draw less than 2'. The river system of North America seems to have more than sufficient cruising/gunk-holing opportunities to keep my bride and I quite busy for the rest of our lives.

If you find any info helpful for planning a trip of this nature I'm all ears. Short of finding any really good cruising guides or such our plan is to stick it in the Columbia River and head east until we run out of launch ramps then turn around and head back to the last one. Wherever that happens to be we'll portage the boat overland with the trailer to the next closest river system and repeat.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote