Limited DC air conditioning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
Yes it is here , the US and Euro air police and their anti ideling laws have created a market for DC air cond.

Dometic (the RV folks) have units and if you Google dirna , this is a euro co. that is now exporting small DC units to Canada.

Might be hard to cool an entire boat , but a unit in the PH for day use and a second in a sleeping cabin might work.

With a bunch of house batts, a boat that is cruising with a second big alt , might be able to recharge last nights cool, and provide today's cool while running.

Are these truly effective in cooling? *I would add more solar panels to charge my batteries. *here in Florida, not using them is a crime. *We used them on a prior boat to charge our house batteries and they worked great. *MY Captain has mentioned using these many times.!

A BTU is a BTU, weather it is removed bu DC or AC doesn't matter.

IF the unit is big enough to work for the area you wish to cool , it should work.

Remember the DC units on trucks usually have small sleeping areas to keep cool , and the truck will have 150+ alts , and an 8 to 10 hour run time daily to recharge the battset.

OF course many trucks will be sleeping during the daytime , and only operating at night , so the heat load on the truck will be fairly high.

Remember many of these units will need a large DC supply , solar gets expensive if you need 40-50A .

Back
Top Bottom