An Anchor Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

THD

Guru
I was down at Salmon Bay Marine Center (Seattle) visiting a friend and this was on the dock next to his boat. Came off a 68' Nordy. Nice, chrome plated anchor! I don't know if you can see it in the pic, but engraved "Nordhavn 300 Lbs" on the shaft. Guy said he took it off because it spins like a top every time they retrieve it.

So, is the right anchor for the boat?

BTW, parker right nest to the Nord was a brand spanking new Westport 50M (164') being readied for a new owner-did not even have a name yet. Not sure, but it may be considered a trawler!

Attachments

• 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 133
That's like the standard issue in most nordhavn's, believe their made by Suncor, looks like a ULTRA swivel at the end. Wrong anchor, get a Rocna!! :D

My hunch is that if you get rid of the swivel, it'll stop swiveling. I have a dreaded non-Bruce claw anchor without a swivel. It comes up straight and true every time. FWIW, mine is a mere 11% of the weight of this one.

You know you have your priorities all wrong when you have to protect your anchor from being scratched on the dock!

Reactions: Art
Murray-you also know you have a real "yacht" when you have to get a crane to get the anchor off the bow and down to the dock like this guy did!.

In my old marinas in Michigan City and Chicago there were many boats with "beautiful" anchors, but then the owners never worried (or had to worry) about holding power sitting at the dock.

In my old marinas in Michigan City and Chicago there were many boats with "beautiful" anchors, but then the owners never worried (or had to worry) about holding power sitting at the dock.

Exactly. Marina Queens don't require the same equipment as cruising boats. It's simply not necessary. That's why a lot of dock surveys regarding anchors on boats are invalid. The boats checked don't go anyplace, or if they do, it's from pier to pier.

Nothing wrong with that. There's lots of ways to go boating.

I was down at Salmon Bay Marine Center (Seattle) visiting a friend and this was on the dock next to his boat. Came off a 68' Nordy. Nice, chrome plated anchor! I don't know if you can see it in the pic, but engraved "Nordhavn 300 Lbs" on the shaft. Guy said he took it off because it spins like a top every time they retrieve it.

So, is the right anchor for the boat?

BTW, parker right nest to the Nord was a brand spanking new Westport 50M (164') being readied for a new owner-did not even have a name yet. Not sure, but it may be considered a trawler!

I took one of those off my boat because I didn't think it was. Mine didn't have the nordhavn name emblazoned on it but it was previously polished stainless. I've learned to just say no to swivels. Whatever the reason looks like another orphaned plow.

Via iPhone.

Not sure why one would want to take a mediocre anchor design and polish it. I watched a Nordhavn 68 with a couple of these spend 20 minutes trying to get one to set. I think they just gave up and crossed their fingers.

If you want to negate the adverse impact of spinning, the Ultra flip swivel works just fine, always presenting the anchor in the right position for bringing it home. And it is stronger than the chain, so I don't see the downside to having one.

Ray sent me this video. It includes a scene where Rodney Dangerfield drops his anchor through Ted Knight's boat, and complained to Ted that his anchor was scratched.

Caddyshack - Funny Boat Scene - YouTube

I recognize that boat!!! and operator He was here last year.:banghead: Speaking of which, our harbor have one pump out station. Keeps us legal with the Feds I suppose.
In the past reading of PNW boaters who are champions of Puget Sound being a "No Dump" of holding tanks, there is an obvious lack of visiting PNW boaters lining up to use the pump out station.:rolleyes: Must have huge holding tanks or something. Just saying:dance:

Al- Ketchikan(Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska

I have just received my new 2 piece alloy Sarca, a #8. Rex says the feedback he is getting is that the alloy anchors hold pretty much the same as the galv one, but they are half the weight.

Attachments

• IMG_1214.jpg
    IMG_1214.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 108
I had a look at them at the boat show, Brian. They looked the business all right, and the way they fit together means they still look bullet proof when assembled, and reassembly is not complicated either. Would make a good primary, or back up anchor folded up.

An Excel in the US. Excel-lent performance so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0291b.jpg
    IMG_0291b.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 120
My analytical $.002 is:

The fluke is considerably longer or has a higher aspect ratio than most. Gives the anchor a rather lethal look about it. The very sharp long thing and the aggressive looking ears gives it a sinister "I'm gonna rape the bottom" look. But it's an Anchor Right anchor so the bottom should survive better than w most anchors.

I have just received my new 2 piece alloy Sarca, a #8. Rex says the feedback he is getting is that the alloy anchors hold pretty much the same as the galv one, but they are half the weight.

Awwww...that's a cute Ready-To-Assemble anchor. Where'd you get it, Ikea? Did it come with one of those little wrenches? :hide:

handy-053.jpg

Yep Brian as good as the big one.
I have my alloy Sarca Excel stowed in the lazzerette. Came in a flat pack but must admit it was the best flat pack I have ever got.
Much easier to handle that the old plough I had there as my back up/2 nd strong wind anchor.
and also with the No 8 Sarca Excel Gal unit on the bow I have not resorted to using a second anchor even with some stronger winds out on the reef.

A good shifter (Adjustable wrench) is all you need but in reality the bolt is actually not required as the shank slots in very nice and firm from underneath.
Photo of anchor stowed and an extra one of me all lit up and no where to go.

Cheers
Benn

Attachments

• P1000066.jpg
    P1000066.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 119
  • Night Lights.jpg
    Night Lights.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 103
I like your anchor Benn but really like the night photo.

Back
Top Bottom