View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 08:54 AM   #114
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Choosing the Right Anchor for Your Trawler

FF,Weight is valuable and good and one could say adding weight to any anchor increases it's performance but if you were to test all anchors whereas they had to be all the same weight many would perform many times better and/or worse than others. If one was to include a wide variety of bottoms even a wider range of performance would prevail. Look at the "maritimestore" anchor test I linked yesterday whereas the 16lb hydrobubble anchor did very well against many much larger anchors. And in the PS mud test my XYZ cleaned house but I can hardly get it to set. And if you want to get your mind really open the old Herreshoff Kedge dosn't do very badly indeed.
"Weather some new chunk if iron priced as if an aircraft part will take decades to learn."
What does that mean?
Peter B,
The sheep thing yes. Look at the many fish boats in Craig and see most have the extra heavy Forfjord anchor and a very heavy one at that. Why bother w all this anchor talk when all's ya gotta do is look around at what the other guys have. So much less time consuming than figuring it out for one's self that most people just observe others. So if your'e going to budget your time efficiently the sheep method is king. Then there's guys like me that like to analyze it to death and even do some testing too. To contemplate boating may be better than boating. The most fun I have is to walk the docks looking at and analyzing the other man's boat. Yes Yes to your last comment. I sure hope I don't need to sit out a 50 knot blow in a small or even a large anchorage w any of my present anchors (unless it was mud).

Eric

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Tuesday 10th of August 2010 10:01:04 AM
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote