Westerbeke gen engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nimble1

Vessel Name
Sweet Pea
Vessel Make
Nimble Nomad 25' Trawler
A friend had to replace the fresh water pump on his Westerbeke 12.5 generator and started looking online for a replacement. After many tries, he ended up having to pay over $500 for a little cast iron water pump that shouldn't cost more than $80 or $90 in real life (not marine life...LOL). Basically all the other sources listed it as discontinued.
I was just wonder who actually made the 4 cylinder motor on his genset and if another source for parts is out there?

Yes, Westerbeke parts are gold plated. I had to buy a pump for my 4.4 kw a few years ago and felt that same pain. As I recall I think Westerbeke was the only source.
I did consider changing to a 120 V electric pump as an option.

Yes, Westerbeke parts are gold plated. I had to buy a pump for my 4.4 kw a few years ago and felt that same pain. As I recall I think Westerbeke was the only source.
I did consider changing to a 120 V electric pump as an option.

I'm a little worried as I'm sure some of my genset's pieces and parts are getting old.

I may be tempted to modify a generic water pump or go electric at some point...because at some point several new parts will be worth more than the genset or go a long way to the price of a new/newer one.

Wonder if anyone has done the research/run the numbers on selling working takeouts and buying new/newer and see where the economy is...

My Klassen propulsion engine is a Mitsubishi S4L2. 107 cu in 4cyl. 37hp.

The same engine as a Westerbeke 44hp and a Vetus 42hp and I'm sure several others. They all used different power rating standards it appears. The gen engine in question is probably older and shares no parts w the current engines. For parts I'd suggest going straight to Mitsubishi. With numbers of course.

Klassen Engine Co was recently sold to Hatton Engine and Generator Systems Inc.
The old Klassen people are at Hatton now in Seattle WA under the new name Yukon Power Systems.
Contact Yukon Power Systems. Yukon Power Systems
360 202 0689

Most of the 8 (three cyl) and 12 (four cyl) BTD and WMD series are Mitsubishi engines. Most parts but not all can be sourced from tractor shops. Engine model is cast into side of block near oil filter (K3D, L4?, etc) in big letters. Also right next to where injection pump sits there should be a stamped engine serial. Coolant water pump should be standard with forklifts and tractors, but could be different

Thanks for the reply's. I suspected it might be a Mitsubishi. I just called him and he will check the engine for numbers.

A friend had to replace the fresh water pump on his Westerbeke 12.5 generator and started looking online for a replacement. After many tries, he ended up having to pay over $500 for a little cast iron water pump that shouldn't cost more than $80 or $90 in real life (not marine life...LOL). Basically all the other sources listed it as discontinued.
I was just wonder who actually made the 4 cylinder motor on his genset and if another source for parts is out there?

Westerbeke is proud of there parts I agree!!keep digging you might find and aftermarket pump the only problem is westerbeke builds there own engines so i was told.

Last edited:
No. Westerbeke is a marineizer.

I can only think of two that also build their engines. Volvo and Cummins. Haven't thought for long though. Oh .. Deere. But none of these engines are "marine" engines. They are ALL marine conversions of truck engines or other engines like car engines. I'm sure others can think of engine builders that market their own marine conversions but Westerbeke is not one of them. There was an article in PMM a few years ago. Looked like a motley crew to me. I was not impressed.

Cat, Cummins, Volvo, Deere, make their own engines.

Yanmar makes some of theirs.

Cat is starting to sell Euro engines as they got in pickle with EPA and patents...

I can't think of any small marine gen that uses their own engines. Westerbeke, Northern Lights, Onan, Phasor, NextGen, Panda, all buy engines from someone else and package the gennie.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom