Aftermarket Pilothouses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Al, Larry is not to be trusted.:facepalm:

That's very true, Don. Did you see that thread he posted about a guy installing a new hatch for his relocated genset? It was so good it looked like the guy was actually working on Larry's boat! You just never know about that Larry!

I think he's just collecting photos to use to improve the looks of boats like yours and mine without pilothouses. Can't say I blame him.

That's very true, Don. Did you see that thread he posted about a guy installing a new hatch for his relocated genset? It was so good it looked like the guy was actually working on Larry's boat! You just never know about that Larry!

I think he's just collecting photos to use to improve the looks of boats like yours and mine without pilothouses. Can't say I blame him.

Now you've done it, Al. Don't give Larry any ideas. Nothing good could become of it.:eek::eek:

Now just a doggone minute here. I'm trying to show you the real thing and all I hear is Photoshop...Photoshop. My rediculous renditions don't do justice to the real thing, and remember that the real thing costs $$$$!

And talk about bucks, here's one that I'm absolutely fascinated with. The boat is docked at a Marina just up the canal from me. I don't recognize to brand, but maybe someone out there knows if this boat was actually made this way. Replacing all canvas and eisenglass is hard fiberglass and heavy windows. I must say that regardless of whether one likes the appearance of the boat or not, it is so well done that I can't tell, but I'd guess would be that it came without the enclosed fly-bridge and aft deck. It must be a nice live-aboard, but man ....that's a lot of weight where there wasn't any. Anybody know what kind of boat it is or how it may have started out. Looks like a trawlerized sport- fisher to me. Imagine the $$$.

Attachments

• Starboard Bow.jpg
    Starboard Bow.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Starboard Stern Quarter.jpg
    Starboard Stern Quarter.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 88
  • port stern quarter.jpg
    port stern quarter.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 96
Yep that's a Hatteras!

That was my first guess-----a modified 48 convertible. However, they did a nice job of making it appear as a pure custom.

Now just a doggone minute here. I'm trying to show you the real thing and all I hear is Photoshop...Photoshop. My rediculous renditions don't do justice to the real thing, and remember that the real thing costs $$$$!

I think Larry Photoshops his dreams.:D

This one is just beyond words . . . .

Attachments

• 17193d1173914407-legacy-trawler-id-legacy-jpg.jpg
    17193d1173914407-legacy-trawler-id-legacy-jpg.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 108
OMG...where's Marin when you need him, eh..?

And talk about bucks, here's one that I'm absolutely fascinated with. The boat is docked at a Marina just up the canal from me. I don't recognize to brand, but maybe someone out there knows if this boat was actually made this way. Replacing all canvas and eisenglass is hard fiberglass and heavy windows. I must say that regardless of whether one likes the appearance of the boat or not, it is so well done that I can't tell, but I'd guess would be that it came without the enclosed fly-bridge and aft deck. It must be a nice live-aboard, but man ....that's a lot of weight where there wasn't any. Anybody know what kind of boat it is or how it may have started out. Looks like a trawlerized sport- fisher to me. Imagine the $$$.

Well done! At first I thought her a custom build from that quality yard in Freeport Florida, but they didn't do aft cabins. A lot of top heaviness can be overcome in a seaway with horsepower, which a old Hatteras should have in abundance, not to mention the weight of all that iron in the engine room. Probably no worse than a tall tower would had been on a convertible.

Last edited:

I like it. I bet I would like it even better when it was cold and raining, or hot and sunny.

Last edited:

This isn't so bad. So I agree w Oliver except for the anchor bit.

It does have a big problem though - proportion. At sea you would see the wheelhouse before the boat. It's just too big for the boat. The eave is nicely done too .. except it too is overdone and too big for the wheelhouse. Notice the angle of the sheer break is the same as the FSW and I think it has a good effect on the overall design. And the dark mass above the rub rail and the gunn'l. It gives visual balance to the over sized wheelhouse. It helps anyway. It does look a bit odd I admit but I think it's well done and looks fine.

If your'e going to learn to think out of the box you've got to at least look or even glance beyond the box. The FSW don't do this boat any favors unless you like the probable fact that they are vogue and you're seeking that. The boat would look better w aft slanting windows w the top of the windows in the same place. That would make the pilothouse larger and help tremendously making the PH look more like part of the boat.

I wonder if owners of these critiqued boats on TF ever see the posts?

Last edited:
The boat would look better w aft slanting windows w the top of the windows in the same place. That would make the pilothouse larger and help tremendously making the PH look more like part of the boat.

The man could be right about this one. Here's the Legacy 32 again with rearward raked windshield. I couldn't get it to look right until the proper anchor was installed, however.:whistling::hide:

Attachments

• legacy with slant back windshield.jpg
    legacy with slant back windshield.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 77
  • 17193d1173914407-legacy-trawler-id-legacy-jpg.jpg
    17193d1173914407-legacy-trawler-id-legacy-jpg.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
It's important to note here, that at least '"I" said "no Photoshop from "me", while at the same time, I have to acknowledge that there may be some material out there that either look like they were Photoshopped or may have been Photoshopped by unscrupulous characters.:):hide:

Here's another mild example.

This photo is just wrong on so many levels!

This photo is just wrong on so many levels!

Woops, Oh yeah, what I meant was that I wouldn't use a photoshopped image to fool anyone about, well you know the .....oh, uh, yeah, I did it.:facepalm::surrender:

THANK YOU LARRY.

I didn't want to ask directly.

Yes it helped but not as much as I had hoped. Still looks like a little kid wading around in the mud on the farm w his daddy's boots on. Now Larry if you still have time raise the fore cabin until 1/3 of the wheelhouse windows are level w the cabin top. That should turn it into a proper boat.

That thing on the bow looks like a huge 1947 Buick hood ornament.

Last edited:
THANK YOU LARRY.

..... raise the fore cabin until 1/3 of the wheelhouse windows are level w the cabin top. That should turn it into a proper boat.

Well. since I've already violated my own rule about the thread, I may as well. Here it is.

Attachments

• legacy with slant back, raised fore cabin.jpg
    legacy with slant back, raised fore cabin.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 85
Oh good you did it.

Yup,
We've changed a mutation into a pure bred trawler.

I think it looks really good now and no visibility has been sacrificed. Making the eve or wheelhouse "brim" a little smaller would probably cap it off. PI.

Can we print off a copy and send it to the owner? If he has a good sense of humor he may even go in that direction. Appropriate fees will be forthcoming I would think. I'll let you handle the distribution thereof.

Hey! A couple of years ago I was looking at that Saltydog. It bit my lip and had it had a diesel a call on it would have been made, Large single gas makes it a candidate for a conversion to diesel which at the time I was considering.
A below market rig in good shape priced right that would fit in our 200 inches of rain boating country. Just wanted to know that a person who admires Manatees, could love this Uniflite.

Al

Al

I think it looks really good now and no visibility has been sacrificed. Making the eve or wheelhouse "brim" a little smaller would probably cap it off. PI.

OK, I'm learning here. The brim has been trimmed a bit here in this one, and it's only fair that I show the Eric inspired improvement to the wannabe window guys....also much more balanced looking. Now, to try the same ideas on my boat!

Attachments

• legacy with slant back, raised fore cabin 2.jpg
    legacy with slant back, raised fore cabin 2.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Legacy wannabe raised cabin.jpg
    Legacy wannabe raised cabin.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 485
Yeah, I tried the same trick on my boat, but it doesn't seem to be working.:confused:

Attachments

• Bucky raise fore-cabin.jpg
    Bucky raise fore-cabin.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 83
I vote for the top picture of the converted sail boat by Larry.
+1
Bill

Just saw this beauty on Craigslist. Not sure if this was done by a legit Marine Architect

Attachments

• 00j0j_eVNTjR9eslW_600x450.jpg
    00j0j_eVNTjR9eslW_600x450.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 85
That last picture brings new meaning to the word boatshed!
Bill

Back
Top Bottom