New auto pilot for 1981 Mainship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bikeandboat

Vessel Name
Missing Link
Vessel Make
1986 Albin 34 Family Cruiser
We have a 1981 Mainship II with a Perkins 200 HP engine. The old auto pilot does not work. Has not worked since we have owned the boat. I want to replace it with a modern auto pilot. Not sure where to start. I do want one with a wireless remote. Any brand or model suggestions?

Most (if not all) of the new AP units have the option of a wireless remote.

Are any components of your existing unit working?

I just installed a Raymarine Evolution EV-400 on our boat. Easy install, and works fantastically. I used the existing pump and just hooked up the electronics.

Simrad make the best. But you can get a Sitex with virtual feedback (no rudder feedback sensor in the lazzerette.) for about $1300 if memory serves. But if you have the money simrad is the absolute best.

We installed a Simrad AP28 last year and it has been working flawlessly. Make sure that whatever you get has a rudder indicator, unless you already have one.

And personal preference of course, but I also like to have a rotary knob for course adjustments. (They're typically one click per degree so you can make small corrections without looking at the instrument.)

I changed my old one for a new Garmin connected to my Garmin GPS by NMEO2000 and its fantastic, easy and accuracy

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa
Sent from my iPhone, using Trawler Forum

I installed a ComNav 1420 this year and love it. A day's job to install with my hydraulic steering, tedious but not too technical. Holds a course better than I can. Simple unit, can be hooked up to other electronics, but I don't. After going through the archives here for info, what sold me is members from both coasts saying this is the unit that local fishermen use. There can't be any higher recommendation than that for me. About $1,400 from Defender.

Any of the well known autopilots will work. I used most all of them over the years and can't say any one is head and shoulders over the others. What ever you get just be sure to install and calibrate it correctly.

Don't go cheap!! Save money on ANYTHING but the ap. A crappy ap will annoy you on every trip. Skeptical of ones that don't have a real rudder feedback sensor.

Back
Top Bottom