Portable generator placement.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't agree with running a CO detector when only your generator is running. If you sleep aboard the vessel it should be on whenever you are sleeping. It can be the vessel near or next to you depending on the direction of the wind or the lack of that can potentially cause harm. Other devices can produce CO running engines are the primary cause but a fossel fueled stove or heater can emit CO as well.
Bill

True Bill,
We don't generally anchor in areas that have other boats but it is a possibility. And we have no need for a heater and use a small butane stove for cooking. But a 12v or self powered CO detector would be safer.

It's actually happened at marinas where one boat runs their generator or engines (who knows why) and the boat next to them has the occupants come down with CO poisoning.
Bill

I run my Honda 2000 in a wooden dock box I built many years ago and now have mounted on my boat deck just aft and below the flying bridge. I installed large aluminum vents on three sides of the box to allow air in, and an oversize aluminum louver for the exhaust. The vents are readily available at hardware and building supply stores. Just below the Honda, I drilled about 20 holes in the bottom of the box of 1" diameter to facilitate additional cooling. The power chord from the Honda exits the box through a rainproof electrical box, also purchased at a hardware store. There is about 5" of clearance between the Honda and the inside walls of the box, and about the same clearance between the Honda and the overhead lid of the box. Works perfect. Never overheats. Never a problem with rain, even heavy downpours. I love that little unit as a backup to our primary diesel genset...saves tons of money and wear and tear on the big boy.

I put at least 500-750 hours per year on my Honda 2000. I run the big gen to make water and do the bulk charging. The honda does the taper charge. Been doing this for over 5 years. I strap it on the. Bow and walk away. I've found that it can run the 12v and 32v chargers along with a freezer, refer, and ice maker. I would rather leave the boat with it running than the big gen and have done so numerous times. The addition of a marine fuel tank has made adding fuel a breeze and less messy than adding to the internal tank.

I remember seeing a post on another site where a guy had rigged up a long hose to the Honda gensets exhaust and attached some floats to it and then let the hose float back from the transom of his boat to keep the exhaust discharge well away from the boat.

Captain K, can you post some pics of your genny box? Sounds like a great setup.

To keep track of hours for maintenance purposes, I added a simple hour meter to the eu2000i like this. It's self-powered and takes its input from a wire wound around the spark plug cable.

51K14KT9vLL._SX425_.jpg

There are lots of eu2000i users with good ideas on the eu2000 Yahoo group.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom