Perkins 4-236 died - Pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, Irish Rambler. Good information. I got most of my parts and rebuild kit here in California at British Marine. I also replaced the instruments and got all of that from Trans Atlantic Diesel on the east coast. I didn't have to replace the crank, just got oversized bearings.

Apophyge. Glad you can get all you need locally.
Perkins engines were supplied for many applications and the marine market is just a small section.. JCB & Cat excavators, Bobcat skid-steer loaders, Forklifts and ubiquitous Massey Ferguson tractors and combine harvesters are sources when looking for parts and it sometimes pays to 'think out of the box'.
If you send Perkins a request they will send you a news letter and it helps to keep up with new developments and also has lots of useful tidbits about older engines.
Obviously being from Ireland we source our parts from UK suppliers who are happy to ship worldwide and if we're stuck there's always some local precision engineer who will help.

Last edited:
Greetings- With the permission of the TAD representative I am posting her response to my inquiry regarding the foot print of the 4-236 over the 4-154. There is a difference in all three measurement, beam, height and length between mounts. It would appear at this juncture that betting on 4-154 through TAD might be a disappointment. Irish Rambler's site has the most bullish inventory. At any rate here is her response:

"Dear Mr. Johnson,

I apologize for the delay as I was out of town for a family emergency.

The Older 4154 engines are no longer available new or rebuilt. Parts are very hard to source and were overly expensive when they were available.
We do still have in stock some gaskets, marine manifolds, salt water pump repair parts and fresh water pumps.

As an alternative we have replaced this model engine 150+ times with the New Cummins 4B3.3 engine package, please see the attached price sheet.
The New Cummins is an excellent little workhorse and built on a very similar foot print. The exhaust hose & intake hose have slightly larger requirements.
If this is an option we will be glad to mail a customer pack to your mailing address, please supply.

The Perkins 4236 is a larger cubic inch model with a larger foot print. We do occasionally have rebuilt or used units available. However the pricing is very similar to the new Cummins which is a much closer fit. If you are still wanting to increase the hp I will check our current stock and advise.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need further details.

Regards,

Sheri Alexander
Trans Atlantic Diesel, Inc.
www.tad123.com
(T) 804-642-9296
(F) 804-642-0340

Hello again AL.
Here are a couple of further contacts to try for parts mryan@pwer-pac.com

South East Power Systems, Tampa. Torreson marine were agents for Westerbeke and the W58 Genny used a 4154 and may hold some spares.
Mazda also made them under licence from Perkins although I've no details of their model/type etc.
I hope this helps you.

Last edited:
I promised to post some photo's of an easy modification to change the sandwich CAV type filter to a 'spin on' with hand operated fuel primer.
The photo's show the installation, no special tools are required. You can see the that the modification is a simple bolt on attachment.
When priming the fuel filter you will feel it firm while pumping with the heel of your hand, once the system is pressurised it feels free to pump.
I hope the photo's are self explanatory, if you have any questions please ask and I will help.

Attachments

• DSCF0205.jpg
    DSCF0205.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF0212.jpg
    DSCF0212.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCF0213.jpg
    DSCF0213.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF0219.jpg
    DSCF0219.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCF0215.jpg
    DSCF0215.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCF0209.jpg
    DSCF0209.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Thanks for posting the pictures of the installation. I wanted to see the priming bulb it looks as it sounded simple thank you,
Bill

Apologies for fuzzy photo's but as you can see it's a very simple bolt on procedure. The only thing to watch out for is that the Perkins fuel system has rubber grommet inserts in each connexion to the filter head where pipe connection goes in, be sure to either put in new ones or transfer the old ones (if in good condition). I use a pair of old forceps for extracting the old ones.
Bleeding the engine with the little lever on the lift pump is a PIA and the button is much simpler and far more effective.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom