Coaster 23 by Lovett/Chudley

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its personnel carrying days will be over. New mission will require elbow room for 2 only (plus dog).
Must be able to carry hard skiff, 2 kayaks and 2 bicycles in reasonable comfort. Design to survive in ferocious wx and avoid such. Use will be Coastal/ ICW and loop. Certainly won't impress the neighbors or the yachting establishment.

Jack,You're not going to buy that 50' boat in Ontario?
There's a 40' Willard triple cabin boat for sale but I think it's on the west coast and has
DD 6-71.

I'm not going to buy the Ontario boat, although I do like it. The triple cabin boat on the west coast
may be the inconnu (sp?). It is an Alaska charter boat. I want that type, but I want it from the navy before conversion. I would have to "undo" somebody elses conversion. The navy still auctions them off every so often. There appear to be many more 33' boats than 40's.
Patience will pay off. Not interested in the 33's.

They do want a fortune for them. That is why I want to go to the source (GSA Auction) where they can be had for peanuts. Several months ago, 2 40's and several 33's went up for sale. I don't think any sold- complete boats, hi bids were under 4 k if I remember correctly. Reserve minimum bid was not hit. The reserve was probably 8-10k. If I was seriously in the market at this time (which I'm not), I would bid up the minimum until reserve was met. These boats are only a starting place. They frequently need re-power, always need interiors and costs can add up quick if your unable or unwilling to do the work. However, for under 50k you can have a pimped coastal cruiser that will take care of its crew and be suitable for "action, adventure and romance" on the waterways.

I'll sell you mine (Navy Utility 50) for $50K, but remember our love is for a huge afterdeck , so when you keep the fwd. WT bulkhead and use 15 ft aft for the patio, a 50 ft boat becomes a 30 ft boat.

And with an air height of 10.5 there is 30 ft sail style living , not roomaran.

But the pilot house is a pure delight* at about 10x10.

Paint the interior to your colors and be gone , after a trip to the food supply.

Bring Cash.

-- Edited by FF on Wednesday 19th of January 2011 02:45:42 PM

Sorry for taking this discussion back a little, but the coaster 23's, besides serving as pleasure boats, were also doing duty as small commercial fishing trollers. I have a shot of one with fishing gear, that was located up in Prince Rupert, B.C., I believe.

It is true that they do seem to ride down by the bow a little. I have observed this myself, (since there are a couple that I have seen operating around here), exactly as a fishing boat will look, putting out to sea, without a full load of fish. They have a big `behind' to carry all that fish, when coming home! So, if one is not into commercial fishing, and most of us aren't, for these particular boats, a lot of the heavy weight as was previously pointed out must be put in the stern area, to balance things out.

This is a semi-displacement design, so, with enough power, they will get up on a semi-plane, so too much weight aft, for that purpose, probably wouldn't be too good, but that would likely use the hp on the top end, and use a lot of fuel. For those of us who like to eco-boat and are fuel misers, a smaller engine at displacement speeds is the best way to use this great little troller design. (Note, troller, not trawler.)

-- Edited by Dabnis on Friday 17th of June 2011 07:45:31 PM

-- Edited by Dabnis on Friday 17th of June 2011 07:55:33 PM

Your coaster looks in quite nice conditon. How are you enjoying using it so far?

(By the way, unless the owner has changed their mind, *there is one of these coasters for sale in our area, in case anyone is interested. They are very*rare.)

-- Edited by Dabnis on Friday 17th of June 2011 07:42:08 PM

-- Edited by Dabnis on Friday 17th of June 2011 07:47:48 PM

Bob,*

Here is a shot of a Coaster 23 in Comox, Vancouver Is., *showing a detail of their anchor roller, etc.

Attachments

• 081610_1908.jpg
    081610_1908.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 187
Hello Bob,

I've added some comments on page 4, including a shot of an anchor/roller on another Coaster 23, also, a shot of our Coaster `project', sitting in our driveway.

-- Edited by Dabnis on Saturday 18th of June 2011 08:15:03 AM

-- Edited by Dabnis on Saturday 18th of June 2011 08:15:45 AM

Attachments

• sandokhan june 16 2009 copy.jpg
    sandokhan june 16 2009 copy.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 218
For Bob,

And any other Coaster 23 owners out there who may be interested, I'm attaching a sketch of our design for reworking the interior. This was only feasible due to the fact that I had a stripped hull to work with. Stripping out an already finished interior would be a huge amount of work, so you'd have to be really wanting a change to go through all that effort. I also added two feet to the cabin length, which still gives us about a 5' cockpit.*

Attachments

• coaster 23 `sandokhan' layout #8-4 copy.jpg
    coaster 23 `sandokhan' layout #8-4 copy.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 385
my coaster cruiser

We have owned our 23 ft coaster for 14 years now. Great for 2 persons. I have added a diesel stove, radar, outboard bracket, holding tank, anchor roller, bench seat in stern just to name a few. It has a Perkins 4108 which was rebuilt by the previous owner. I see in this thread a picture of our boat bow and anchor roller at Comox. I,m always looking to see if I can make it more comfortable without getting elaborate.

Welcome to TF, Rutheva. I have never heard of a Coaster. You have my curiosity up. How about some pictures?

Welcome as well, I too have never heard of or seen a Coaster. It sounds like an interesting vessel.
Bill

Welcome to the forum, cool looking boat :thumb:

As to this thread. Next time someone mentions thread drift or creep they are getting a link to this one. Eric, Jack and Mark my hats off to you 3. Collectively drifting threads since 2010 :)

I was on TF for 3 years before I learned how to creep?

I must have been a slow learner.

The Coaster is a lobster type boat more easily driven than most. Great boat that's seen every so often on YW.

Last edited:
Spiffy little vessel. Love to see pics also!

Way back in 1983 we were in the market for a 25-30' slow powerboat (the term pocket trawler hadn't been coined yet) and we narrowed the search down to the Albin 25, Yar 26, a Beaverglass Hull design (forget the name) and the Coaster 23. Was very impressed with the Coaster, although by that time it was out of production and only used examples were available. We did go for a seatrial up Indian Arm and were very impressed with the Coaster, but in the end the seller wasn't really interested in parting with his baby. We ended up with an Albin 25.
As I recall, the Coaster came about due to the west coast dealer of Albins looking for a replacement for the Albin 25, which had gone out of production in the late 1970's. Dick Chudley commissioned the design and production of the Coaster; I don't think many were produced but it certainly had a charm to it. No relation to the Maple Bay boats other than they shared the same designer, John Lovett.

We were very seriously looking at a Maple Bay 27 at one time and now that you mention they (Albin/Coaster) were designed by the same person I can see the similarities. Wish I could find a Coaster hull. I want a SD hull for my 60hp Suzuki OB.

Hey Eric...
Our tastes seem to be quite similar. I've always been a fan of the Maple Bay 27, but wasn't in a position to take advantage of the product when it was on the market. Have watched their evolution through the 30 and ultimately the 32' version. The latter was my favourite from an overall design perspective, but it didn't last very long on the market.
Dallas Sellman, the original developer and builder of the MB 27, morphed into a marine surveyor, and I had the opportunity to avail myself of his services for a survey not too long ago. 14 Maple Bays were built, including, I believe, one 30' version, which Dallas was involved with. He wasn't happy with the product, and departed before the 32' versions were built.
I still believe that if the 32' was built today it would be a great boat. But it is/was a pure displacement boat so would have a very limited market.

TOO much money.

How could it possibly be worth that much?

But I want a ride if you deal well and buy it.

You like the Maple Bay more than your Nordic Tug? There are some advantages now that I think of it.

Last edited:
This is a photo of the MV Ruth Eva in the Courtenay River ,BC. The Commodore was watching for deadheads. We used to berth at a small marina up the river and now we trailer her. John & Marilyn, Comox

Attachments

• Ruth Eva.jpg
    Ruth Eva.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 522
This is a photo of the MV Ruth Eva in the Courtenay River ,BC. The Commodore was watching for deadheads. We used to berth at a small marina up the river and now we trailer her. John & Marilyn, Comox

What a gorgeous looking vessel!

Ruth Eva is pretty, and she's got radar. Plus, she's the same size as my girl. :)

I like the height of her antenna. Much better than my small ones....

Looking back through the pages these are some really nice looking trollers.
Bill

Thank you for the welcome and compliments. Although she is a boat size and price that fits our needs we always look with admiration at the Maple Bays, Nordic Tugs and Ranger Tugs and other power boats similar in design. We console ourselves with the fact she is paid for. 2 years ago we were in Gorge Harbour on Cortez Island in the midst of a Ranger Tug Rendezvous. 54 of them and 1 of us . Loved it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom