Reality when you don't expect it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meridian

Guru
Vessel Name
Meridian
Vessel Make
Krogen-42
The past 2 weeks I had been posting some maintenance questions for work I needed to do while we are Looping. Last Thursday everything came to a sudden halt. While crossing an intersection on my bike, a car that was waiting to pull out rolled forward and knocked me off. Result hospital, possible broken back. I'll know soon how bad. This will be interesting since we are in Beaufort, SC, have no transportation and I may not be able to get on the boat for some time.

Damn Terry. I'm sad for you.

And, wishing you amazing doctors, a speedy recovery and, well, health and stamina. ASAP!

So sorry to hear that, Terry. I hope someone in your area reads this and can lend a hand. In the meantime, I'll keep you and yours in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Terry - Sorry to hear of this for you. I hope and pray for your speedy recovery!

Likewise, my best wishes. I was knocked out of boating in February this year by a ruptured Achilles tendon, no where remotely near as bad, but can't even set foot on a boat and won't for another two months. Where are you hospitalized, Charleston or Savannah? Let us know if there is anything we can do to help. I broke my neck in 1991 and am fairly familiar with a few of the issues you may be facing.

That stinks Terry, wish I was near you and could offer more tangible assistance. Wife and I will keep you in our prayers.

My best for a speedy recovery, everyone's nightmare.

That sucks! Hope you recover quickly. We can never take things for granted, it can change in a heartbeat.

How quickly things can change. Sorry, my boat is not in Hilton Head where we might be of some assistance. Best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

I've been released. L1 compression fracture. I may be in this back brace for 2 months, won't see doc for followup for 10 days. In the meantime I'm in a Holiday Inn since I can't get on the boat. We will also have to rent a car so Donna can get over here.

We are at Lady's Island Marina in Beaufort. Just a wonderful group of people. Looks like we will have all the help we need.

Thank you for all your kind words. They are much appreciated.

Wishing you the best and speediest of recoveries. You probably have already covered this, but find out from the doc what kind of exercise and PT you can do while you are in the brace. I was able to follow a pretty strong exercise routine while I was bolted into the halo brace for three months for my neck fracture; being in really good shape when I got unbolted made a big difference in total recovery, mentally and emotionally as much as physically.

Lady's Island is a good spot. We may be headed down to visit friends on Fripp Island in the next month; will PM you if we do.

Wow, that is really a bad situation you're in. The injuries could have been much worse, so that's the silver lining in this dark cloud.

Like the others, I wish we were closer so we could be of more help than just moral support.

Holy crap, Terry. What a lesson for all of us. I didn't account for any such thing when planning our own loop next year. We sure hope you're alright.....feel a lot better about where you are and the gang of people you have around you. Keep us informed.

Holy crap, Terry. What a lesson for all of us. I didn't account for any such thing when planning our own loop next year. We sure hope you're alright.....feel a lot better about where you are and the gang of people you have around you. Keep us informed.
2 things really hard to face but still worthy of putting in your emergency bag for any liveaboard or long term cruiser.

Enough cash/liquid money/credit to spend a month on the dirt with rental car on TOP of major engine, shaft, fire restoration work, etc... plus haulout, storage...

I say a month...adjust to your own fears.

Granted for some...cruising costs may offset a lot of that depending on your style.

Second...as you get older...there's a good chance even a mild injury or just age will prevent the most simple, routine maintenance that you have been doing all along. Factor in at least a couple hundred per month fo the simple and maybe a couple thousand per year for the more demanding maintenance you can no longer do as you age.

Many times I get a blank stare when I mention things like these or I give it back when people say "dang...what would I do?"....thinking ahead is a full time job that pays off for many.

Now....where did I put the rum so I can clear my head and get back to enjoying instead of thinking....:D

Glad to hear your injuries weren't more serious. We're anchored just off the ICW near Miami Beach on an extended cruise. I was thinking of using the bikes today. My wife said no, after hearing of your experience I think I'll listen to her.
Here's to a speedy recovery.

Tim,
Don't stop riding bikes because of my situation. Just be prudent and ride defensively. I always slow down when coming into an intersection so I will be able to stop if the car starts moving. That doesn't help when you are already in front of it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom