View Single Post
Old 02-04-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
Steve
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Charging AGM batteries

Last year I replaced the Trojan group 27 lead acid batteries, 4, in the house bank of my Camano 31 with group 27 AGMs by Trojan. I had heard different opinions on charging so I asked the distributor in New Orleans. He didn't have a clue so I called the Trojan Service department, and explained my charger had settings for Gel or lead acid batteries but no setting for AGMS they told me it would be fine to use the same setting as used for the Lead/ Acid batteries. I have wondered about this and was at the Trawlerfest in Stuart FL. recently and asked a guy who had a booth displaying AGM batteries, I don't recal the brand but they had a bright orange case, he told me the same thing, to just charge them with the same equipment and setting as the flooded batteries used. The house AGMS are just about a year old now and seem fine so far. I have another AGM 31 for staring my 200 hp Volvo it was installed in July 2005 same charging for it and so far so good!
I just wanted to mention this as there seems to be different ideas on the subject. Has anyone had a different experience?
Steve Willett
Camano 31
Thibodaux, Louisiana

-- Edited by Steve at 12:40, 2008-02-04
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote